Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just started a necron army and I have a question about the physical differences between the staff of light and the warscythe. You'll need a necron codex to follow me throughout this post.

Basically I'm trying to put together my destroyer lord and a coworker and I are having a debate as to which weapon that came with it is which. According to page 40 of the necron codex the lord shown is holding a staff. It reads "... then painted the staff in the same manner as the Warrior's gun, ..." On page 54 however when it shows all of the necron weapons it has the weapon that the lord on page 40 was wielding labeled as the warscythe.

Since the warscythe cannot shoot I figured it would be comprised of mostly blades and have no "beam focusing array." Oh this page the weapon labeled staff of light has blades and no array. The weapon labeled warscythe does have a "beam focusing array" labeled though. It also has a "Linear Accelerator Chamber" labeleed as do the other necron shooting weapons, (flayer, cannon, and blaster) which are shown. Of course there is the bit through in keeping up with the story that this page could be wrong.

One last thing to throw in the mix is that the pariahs are said to have warscythes with built in gauss blasters. They are shown on page 40 in the codex holding what looks like the plain warscythe shown on page 54.

So I'm asking which do you go by? Which is which to you?

Pics to help.

My belief is this is a warscythe:

This is a staff of light:

And this I have no idea. Looks like staff cause it has the anatomy to shoot:

I have all three parts. So I'm confused...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the top one has no way to shoot, which the staff does. And the bottom two do, which the warscythe cannot unless the model is a pariah.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The top pic is actually a conversion of the second pic, which is why it has no green rod. All official unconverted lord weapons contain green rods. The latter two are warscythes. They resemble the Pariah weapons, and the staff of light one (which is not pictured anywhere, but has a similar design to picture #1) is labelled as such in the black and white drawing somewhere in the codex. Hope this helps.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Since GW never officially made diffrent models with diffrent weapons or gave you the option to use diffrent pieces to represent the diffrent weapons it doesnt matter which you actually have. You can play either one as either weapon. Just be sure to let your oppenent know at the beginning of the game which one hes weilding so he knows for sure.

If you want to model it specially then I would play the top picture as the "Staff of Light" and the rest of them as "War Scythes". Again it doesnt matter WYSIWIG wise as they both can represent both weapons.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I wasn't aware that there were official names for the weapons. If there were I would go with this:

If the Necron Lord is armed with a weapon that looks the same as the Pariahs then it counts as the same weapon. If its not then use it what ever the hell you like.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have seen both weapons called both names and opponents have never complained. According to the codex on page 54 it shows the top pic as being the Staff of Light and the bottom two pics would probably by considered Warscythes. I think as long as you tell your opponent that this lord is armed with this or that. I have never had anyone say that it is not modeled properly.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The Nec 'Dex has a graphic depiction of each weapon.

Staff of Light - Multi-bladed head, usually with a green rod near the bottom of the staff.
Warscythe - Halberdesque weapon with the blade hugging the green rod near the top of the staff.

But, rules really state no specific description. As for myself, neither of my Emo-Nec Lords will have a standard design. Anyone who may wish to give me a debate on the legality of my conversions may eat my conversion (I'll be sure to be very persuasive:puke:) and see if my model passes any better than the load of schitt they just gave me.:fuck:

Just be sure that if only one Warscythe/Staff of Light is in your army, then the model holding it has a weapon that is not duplicated on any other model in your army. If this rule is followed, then it is a completely legal conversion and cannot be argued. Enjoy!:victory:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
the top one is the Staff of light, there should be a rod at the other end of the staff.
the middle one is a warscythe, the warscyth can shoot; it has a built in Gausse blaster.
the bottom one is the new necron lord with, probably, a warscythe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
staff is assult 3, but nothing is listed for warscythe other than that it is a cc weapon with no saves of any kind. plus 2d6 plus strength for armour pene agaisnt vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the top one is the Staff of light, there should be a rod at the other end of the staff.
the middle one is a warscythe, the warscyth can shoot; it has a built in Gausse blaster.
the bottom one is the new necron lord with, probably, a warscythe.
Only the Pariahs have built in gauss blasters. The lord one cannot shoot, check the GW faq if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Doesn't it have the Staff of Light in it? "Upgrade Staff of Light to Warscythe and +10pts"

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Nope... It would be nice, though...

The Warscythe is not the same bit of gear, and has no ranged abilities. The 'upgrade' bit should really read 'May be replaced with a...'.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Guess my friend killed 3 marines by cheating then V.V

·
Registered
66 Posts
that would be a good question in the rules section. does "upgraded" mean it gets both effects or does it mean replace it...

·
Banned
801 Posts
The Necron warscythe is exactly the same mechanically as a real-world warscythe. Take a scythe, and put the blade so it extends up from the handle instead of outward. They are given green rods so that people can use them as Staves of Light because people are too lazy to convert the dam nthings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts