Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on BoLS.

Codexwise: the Necron codex is described as being a minimal updated codex, similar to Grey Knights, crammed into a very short release window.

Models: Unlike Grey Knights there is talk of a new combo-plastic kit for Destroyers which will include the parts for Heavy Destroyers and Necron Destroyer Lords. There is mixed chatter on whether the clear green rod will be replaced with standard plastic.

Timing: Look for these to be coming in Fall.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ok: grey knights I understand as a new codex,, still sad that the Sisters are still ignored anyone think a petition would work, ahh, let me get back on topic. Anyway, grey knights: 7th edition changed how there powers work and who can use them so much that it make sense they get a new book, if only to attach the FAQ into the main book so to speak.

but Necrons? I don't get why they would need a new book.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The current plan is to update every single last of the softcover armies before starting all over again :)
Indeed, the plan is to make sure codexes are all updated more regularly and if they aren't in need of shiny new goodies then they won't get them.

Not forgetting that we could potentially have a month every now and then, maybe even in the spring, with new model releases from more then one army that aren't tied to a codex...........

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not forgetting that we could potentially have a month every now and then, maybe even in the spring, with new model releases from more then one army that aren't tied to a codex...........
Hopefully this is true. It would be a way of keeping the interest in each codex boiling under, rather than fading with the release of the next one. They have shown a willingness to post new rules in WD, even if so far they've only been a couple of weeks in advance of the new codex the unit was in.

I'm also hoping it might be a way to release new minis that need updating badly.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Not to forget that big addition of dataslates - They can always release new models through dataslates after all armies are updated to 7th edition.

They never had that freedom before or the means to release a single model with a ruleset, in the way that dataslates gives them. It's going to be interesting to see how they use this in the future.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Not to forget that big addition of dataslates - They can always release new models through dataslates after all armies are updated to 7th edition.

They never had that freedom before or the means to release a single model with a ruleset, in the way that dataslates gives them. It's going to be interesting to see how they use this in the future.
Actually, they did have. It would have been insanely easy to just add a single sheet of paper with the rules on them to the models (much like other wargame companies do these days when they bolt on stuff outside of a codex). Or do it via WD, although people did start complaining they needed to take a boatload of WDs with them to every game.

Dataslates in digital format just allows them to charge money for it. They found the golden middle road between a better release format and greed... ;)

Mind you, I'll take those tiny microtransactions as a trade-off if they are able to release extra MODELS (not just extra rules and formations, as some sort of DLC) for armies that have gone unloved for a long time. Here's to hope! ;)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Actually, they did have. It would have been insanely easy to just add a single sheet of paper with the rules on them to the models
Well this is an option, but considering how much you have to bring to a game already, it isn't that viable - The digital format of dataslates makes it a lot easier to stay on track and updated than a sheet of paper would. I do understand your point however, but I don't think it's a good approach to it.

Maybe I'm just more digital minded - Unless it's a codex. I want those codex in hardcover because I love the smell of a good book :good:

·
Registered
159 Posts
codex, data slate, in box sheets, or White Dwarf doesnt matter to me how they do it just getting new models out there or hell just new gear for older models sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not to forget that big addition of dataslates - They can always release new models through dataslates after all armies are updated to 7th edition..
I think dataslates will generally be tied to characters, imo

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think dataslates will generally be tied to characters, imo

What are you basing that on? I'm honostly curious...

So far, out of all the dataslates, there's 2 I can list off the top of my head that are characters. Cypher and that Be'lakor demon?

But I can list quite a few more dataslates that are just special formations.

Hellbrutes
Strike Force Ultra
Tyranic Rising leviathan I, II and III
Eldar ghost warriors
Storm wing
Siegebreaker cohort

And only I can only list 3 that are/will be old models just remade in a dataslate.

Tyrannic War Veterans
Reclusiam Command Squad
Assassins

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What are you basing that on? I'm honostly curious...
with the quicker turn around of codexes there will be less need to put things out on dataslates and I think we'll see regular book updates with less new models (because of the quick turnaround) so it will be worth holding onto the space marine turbo jetpads as they may be the only thing going out with the next codex - which is probably not that far in the future.

It's a scientific analysis based on A: Current trends and B: Tea leaves

·
Registered
580 Posts
Technically they're still 5th edition. The current plan is to update every single last of the softcover armies before starting all over again :)
Technically.... the BA Codex is from 2009. That's 5 years, that's 2 years older then Gray Knights(yes its ay, not ey ) so necrons even before eldar makes soo much sense.

Ugh ranting is just not as enjoyable anymore.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ugh ranting is just not as enjoyable anymore.
try grossly exaggerating completely out of proportion and using the word flipping

Technically.... the BA Codex is from 2009 BC. That's thousands of years now, that's a full decade older then Gray Knights so blooming necrons even before flipping squats makes soo much sense.
There we go :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It does feel very....limited. I'd be glad to see these guys updated before Dark Eldar, but that's because I don't play/know anyone who plays DE.
That'd arguably be because 3 in 4 players play some form of marines (BA, SW or GK) of which DE don't have an easy ride in killing (like they do with Orks and Nids, for example).

From what I see, GW releases a new 'Xeno' codex, then releases a Marine variant that trumps it. These codices have been known to include a unit that nullifies the meta, as well - thinking the BA Storm Raven (?) that ignores the Melta rule.

Whilst this is obviously because they want to sell SM more than anything, it does mean that although non-marine players get 2-3 months of fun with their new stuff, GW will then happily release a book that outs it.

I'm looking forward to a Nid book that encourages Gaunt hordes, then GW releasing a Space Marine horde army (BTs).

·
Registered
580 Posts
That'd arguably be because 3 in 4 players play some form of marines (BA, SW or GK) of which DE don't have an easy ride in killing (like they do with Orks and Nids, for example).

From what I see, GW releases a new 'Xeno' codex, then releases a Marine variant that trumps it. These codices have been known to include a unit that nullifies the meta, as well - thinking the BA Storm Raven (?) that ignores the Melta rule.

Whilst this is obviously because they want to sell SM more than anything, it does mean that although non-marine players get 2-3 months of fun with their new stuff, GW will then happily release a book that outs it.

I'm looking forward to a Nid book that encourages Gaunt hordes, then GW releasing a Space Marine horde army (BTs).
So you play competative then. I feel for you, I quit that crap less stress, casual is the way to go.:)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
GW will then happily release a book that outs it
GW openly doesn't give even a single fuck about a balanced game, I just meant that I'd like to see a bit more offered in terms of characters in units, or wargear, or just an update in rules for Flayed Ones.

I don't know much about 'Nids, but my buddy plays about 90 marines (nothing with an AV) at 2k and it's hard as fuck to deal with all those models. Maybe it's because I care as much about tournaments as GW does about having a balanced game, but this game is whatever you want it to be my friend. Even moreso now that 7th has seen the addition of the Unbound army list option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts