Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Necron Rumours - "Round-up" Updated 01.02.09

18K views 180 replies 88 participants last post by  The Nightbringer 
#1 ·
Hi ive heard that they are planning to get rid of the 'We'll Be Back' rule for necrons when they are going to redo them next year (also heard about)any idea what els they are going to do?

#5 · (Edited)
I dont think they should get rid of it, but maybe it should be changed to a 5+, but I can see them changing it to feel no pain. It would certainly change the feel of the army. Would the monolith allow another feel no pain roll?

Edit - I've changed my mind after a little thought. Making all Necron models have feel no pain wont make that much difference to Necrons. It would make a few rule issues go away, such as what happens when a unit is broken in hth and leaves half its squad.

#6 ·
ATM, the models left behind would die if they fell out of WBB range of there unit or another unit of the same type, but we arn't here for a rules descusion.

FNP would be good, and I can see it being fluffy, would a necron actually feel pain... hmm, thought not. Not sure how it will effect the Monolith or VoT, would Pariahs become a Viable option.. will they get 2 attacks and actually become decent in combat against anything other than weak none combat expert squads....

-Rob

#7 ·
also what about the things that help wbb like the rez orb, tomb spiders, monalith and phlactory thing that you can give the lord? And for all you necron players (and non if you can be asked) what would you like to see come out with the new codex? what about the Tomb Stalkers or diff in Necron rule (good change)

#8 ·
Rumors I've heard

FNP over WBB: Good idea... same basic concept, but much simpler to put into play.
Rending is the new Gauss: With the coming reduction of shooting/mêlée rending attacks needing to wound first, the rumor is that Gauss weapons will then be Rending
Warriors are not alone: Some say that either Flayed Ones, Scarabs, or another unknown unit will become a Troop choice.

I haven't heard of anything else that seems even remotely substantial.

#9 ·
If FNP replaces WBB and everything else stays the same, Necrons will be so much better. Right now WBB without a res orb is ignored by power weapons or stuff that is double strength same as FNP. However with necrons if I wipe out an entire unit and there is no spider or same unit close by the unit dies and WBB does not happen. With FNP that is not the case, destroy units become so much tougher to get rid of. Necrons become better on that point by itself.

#10 ·
You folks have your rumours spot on. I like the benifits of Feel-no-pain, I also like the Rending Gausse rule and the ulternate Troop choice. My Necrons may get some respect again.

Oh ya, have you all heard that they are lossing the Phase Out rule.
That's the best new rumour, as we 'Crons wont have to build Warrior exclusive armies to get the Necron count up!:biggrin:

#13 ·
I'd have to agree, I don't mind changes to armies, new units, revisions but replacing a necron only rule with a bog standard rule is lame, and while doing so eleminating an army rule.

I liked WBB and phase out, gave the army flavor.

they go to far and your army could have the same stats and army make up as sm's just diffrent models...

#17 ·
I've heard speculation, but I really don't know.

But, then again, I've also heard that Res Orbs will go away, and that all Necrons will be T5 with FNP and Ranged Rending....

It's kinda hard to say what may be legit, and what is just wishful or malicious hoping. It's way to early to tell; Necrons are not even on the radar for the GW Dev team.

#20 ·
Personally, I'm against replacing WBB with FNP for two reasons. The one stated earlier is my main one, it takes away some of the army flavor.
But as a BA player who faces Necrons constantly, this would greatly change the dynamic of my HtH combat. Currently, the models that take wounds from standard marines "fall over" and do not get to attack. Replacing WBB with FNP gives the Necron player a potential chance for more "return attacks".
This will make Necrons in general a more CC viable army. I'll have to talk the roomate into play-testing this to see how it works out....

#21 ·
Hmm i dont like it, if another C'tan comes out it will be the outsider imo i cant see the void dragon been released.

#22 ·
Ok well now after reading this i've got two conditions that threaten me ever playing this hobby again.

1. The first is if they remove guard doctrines all together in the re-release of the codex, GW do that and i'm gone from 40K. Bye bye see ya later.

2. The second will be if they pull this shit. The necrons dont need updtaing! Is WBB that f-ing hard to remember? IS IT? Has everyone there gone mad? I play against necrons all the god damn time and they're not broken or unbalanced or difficult to use. People if anything complain they're bland. They're necrons!!!!!! If you want diversity play eldar. I wonder if GW ever learn from their past mistakes at all or they just put blinders on their heads the second critisism comes their way and stay the course they are on no matter how stupid or ill concieved it is. Oh making every army play nothing like the fluff suggests was a terrible idea but its ok we'll just smile and hope it turns out allright. If this is even mildly true i think someone in GW has gone batshit insane.

#23 · (Edited)
wow much to say about this thread:shok:. I would like to state that rules will be changed and as much as you want them to stay it won't happen

if they take out wbb, they would have to rebuild the whole necron system. Like tomb spiders at 12" away, lord with rezorb, another unit being 6" away or monolith teleport. The simple reason is that necrons are suppose to fool you into thinking that you've killed many but, you've killed about half of those. hence next round they come back up and it's scary. Which is what many base their strategy on.
ex. you killed 10 warriors in CC next round they comeback up i teleport them through monolith and you're like shit thats scary. because you're gonna get shot up. veil works the same way.
FNP- you killed 10 i got 3 out of 10 3+ saves and 2 FNP 4+, lets suppose then i lose combat and take ld and fail, on a sweeping advance i die. the only way out of cc is wbb rolls bc you will always have someone close enough to cover a dead squad.
Now some ppl may say aawww thats cheap i hate necrons, well i cant charge into assault and hit you 20 times with my power weapon. i only have 1 power weapon by the way. i think they are very balanced and a great starter army bc you dont have to worry too much about wargear since only the lord can take them. it will definately break them to change the wbb rules. One day we'll all be playing 40k in a big meadow with beautiful tables and very well painted armies, bc everyone will be able to play with best rules that suits everyone in this place.:laugh: .....yea like i said it wont happen.

#24 · (Edited)
The void Dragon would be a cool thing to do as it could do stuff like take control of one of the enemy tank's weapons or automaticaly have a crew stunned result to tanks within X:inches. These would be cool things to do.
I don't know why everyone is complaining so much, if the necrons go to shit choose a different army or don't play against them. I mean there are 7-10 different armies just stop whining and play one of them. It's not the end of the world if GW muck up a codex or change a rule just pick yourself up again and try not to think about it one rule cannot destroy an army completly. Because if you go about making a shit fuss about it, I'll tell you to shut the hell up and go talk to a mirror.:ireful2::ireful2:

#25 ·
The void Dragon would be a cool thing to do as it could do stuff like take control of one of the enemy tank's weapons or automaticaly have a crew stunned result to tanks within X:inches. These would be cool things to do.
I don't know why everyone is complaining so much, if the necrons go to shit choose a different army or don't play against them. I mean there are 7-10 different armies just stop whining and play one of them. It's not the end of the world if GW muck up a codex or change a rule just pick yourself up again and try not to think about, because if you go about making a shit fuss about, I'll tell you to shut the hell up and go talk to a mirror.:ireful2::ireful2:
There it is in a nut shell.

#27 ·
I think replacing "we'll be back" with "Feel no pain" is a good idea for several reasons, flow of play, feeling of fairness etc.

Feel no pain is pretty much a We'll be back roll in the straight after the failed save anyway but it means the necrons opponent can be sure a unit is dead before selecting a new target.
I also think they should lose the phase out rule and up the points cost of necrons to compensate, this again would improve the flow of play (no counting your models to see if you are going to phase out) and would make the Necrons a more varied and interesting army on the tabletop (want to get loads of pariahs and tomb spyders but not being able too for fear of a low phase out limit, go ahead!).

I have a Necron army, love the background and love the models but I do feel that these two rules (lthough very characterful) can make the army a real chore to play.

#28 ·
I think the necron army is balenced atm.

I do like the idea of Feel no pain, but as said thats takes the fun out of the look on your opponenets face when you make 7 out of your 10 we will be back rolls lol!

I seriously think that they are balenced and my only problem would be in the new ed if some of those proposed rules come out.

I mean the monolith will be beardy as hell.

glance on 6 with strength 8 then on a 1-4 nothing happens, 5 weapon destroyed (whop de do) 6 immobilised. Ouch

#30 ·
The rumour I've heard is FNP and Slow and Purposeful for necrons. Rending for gauss.

This would make necron warriors a lot more effective in most situations. They can grind forward (or backward) while actually shooting stuff.

FNP is a big upgrade over WBB in most situations. Against small arms fire you take the same number of casualties overall but have less chance of losing whole units. If all are wounded (after saves) you would have lost the whole unit before if nothing was in range to res them, while now about half of them will still be there.

There are disadvantages as well. Currently you can't be sure you have killed necrons. You can end up with assault units with nothing to charge or guns with no targets, but the necrons subsequently get back up. With FNP the necrons will still be standing, so they will be viable targets for shooting and assaults.

#31 ·
There are disadvantages as well. Currently you can't be sure you have killed necrons. You can end up with assault units with nothing to charge or guns with no targets, but the necrons subsequently get back up. With FNP the necrons will still be standing, so they will be viable targets for shooting and assaults.
I think this is half the beauty of Necrons. I hate playing against them because I end up thinking I've killed most of a squad and on their turn they are mostly back. I believe this is half the strategy for Necron players as well. They trick you. And a good Necron player is very good at trickery. Not to mention the fluff and uniqueness of Necrons is harmed if it is changed to FNP. I mean, why not just take a Deathguard army at that point. I really like seeing armies with unique rules to them, not just a bunch of vanilla's running around.

I do think that FNP could make Necrons a bit better overall, but with completely different tactics. I wouldn't cry if they got rid of the phasing out rule, but I don't like the idea of losing the WBB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.