Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in another forum was making an argument that necrons who have the wbb rule are never removed off the table and can be brought back to life later on in the game. We all know that if a necron gets killed by something with 2x its toughness or it got no armour save it dies. However, it also doesn't get a wbb roll if there is no other of the same troop within six inches.

The argument was that if a squad of 10 warriors dies due to bolter fire but are not within 6 inches of another warrior it doesn't get its wbb rolls but it is not removed off the table and if on the next turn a warrior is moved within 6 inches of the "dead" warriors they than get their wbb rolls.

Is that right? I thought if they don't make their wbb rolls next turn they are destroyed and removed off the table. However, I can't find any hard evidence for this?

·
Registered
564 Posts
exactly - they only get one shot at WBB (two including monolith IIRC) but after that they are goners.

whoever is trying to justify WBB as an indefinate number of chances really needs to re-read the rules.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think he is implying that they get mulitple chances at wbb. Its just that until they fail their wbb rolls they stay on the table. It seems stupid to me and I totally don't agree with him. However, is there any where it says necrons are removed if they don't get their wbb rolls due to being out of 6 inch range.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Ok, reading the rules and the FAQ, I hate to say it but it sounds like he's right.

Wounded necrons who would be removed as casualties are instead counted as damaged and laid down.

At the beginning of every necron turn, damaged necrons get a self repair roll, unless they were killed by power/instakill weapons, or unless there are no other necron units within 6"

The FAQ steps in at this point and clarifies that necrons who *fail* their WBB roll are removed.

The FAQ also says that damaged necrons don't count as life necrons for the purposes of phase-out (duh), and that damaged necrons who don;t get a WBB roll by the end of the game are considered casualties (duh)

However, It never says that necrons can only stay 'damaged' for one turn, and it never says that necrons who are denied their WBB roll for more than a turn are removed.

So, by the RAW, if a necron unit is wiped out by non-instakill/power weapons and there is no other unit within 6" they lie there, damaged until another necron unit gets within 6", at which point they are allowed to make their WBB rolls.

Any who fail their roll are removed. Any who end the game damaged are removed.

Nothing says that are removed simply because you cannot *make* a WBB roll. You have to fail the roll to be removed. (Technically, this means even necrons wounded by instakill, power weapons stay on the board until the end of the game...even though they never get a WBB roll and don;t count as live necrons. Go fig)

·
Registered
538 Posts
read the necron codex p.13. It will explain all to you.
get wbb if another model of same type within 6" (including same unit) or tomb spyder within 12" and another model of same type somewhere on the board. those that make wbb join nearest unit. those that fail wbb are removed.
if die to 2x toughness or instant kill wpn or close combat wpn that allows no armor save,only get wbb if res orb within 6" of unit.
damaged necrons are debris. do not affect other models movement and do not count as terrain.

In above example,the sqd of 10 are removed.

if teleporting necron unit thru monolith portal next turn,then get another wbb roll if were allowed a wbb roll previous turn.

times where you have to put necrons in different piles to differentiate who died from what and if using monolith teleport next turn for wbb rolls.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wrote that those who fail wbb rolls are removed. Nowhere does it state that "dead" necrons are removed off the table if they don't get their wbb roles

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please go find some manners and stop making stupid ignorant comments.

I have played enough 40k to know the rules. Someone made a statement about necron wbb rolls. Hey it sounds stupid, I would probably call bs if someone tried to pull that in a game, I play WH so this ruling being right negatively affects me. Like Galahad said, based on the wording it seems that the guy has a point. I am just looking for some justification against it besides saying "no that is not what it means". What you provided did not have any proof and that is all I stated. Your response was pointless, stupid and ignorant.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Deceiver, you are being more than a little rude and condescending.
Read the rules again. The rules and the FAQ *only* say that models are removed from the table if they *fail* their WBB roll.

It does say that certain models don't *get* a WBB roll, but it neber says that models who are damaged away from other units can never get another roll.
In fact, it says that every turn, all damaged models get to make a WBB roll if they can.
Just because the model wasn't able to make a roll on the turn it was damaged doesn;t mean it can't make one later.

Please quote the rules that back up your opinion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
damn, your right...
maan that's tough. i had no idea... that makes them even harder to get rid off. but man according to the rules almost anyone plays their necrons wrong, including me. my regular opponent will hate my necrons even more

maan thats just plain cool i think i'm gonna hit the next tourny with 2 monoliths a teleporting regenerator lord and 60 warriors. won't get style points but hell my enemys will cry. muahahaaarhaaar

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The trick is to keep advancing once you wipe out a squad. Don't let them get close enough to rez their mates.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I will have to refer to the rule of comon sense. Guess they need to write the rules like we are in 1rst grade from now on.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
You're still being incredibly rude, deciever, and it's uncalled for.
Just because you're wrong doesn't mean you have to start acting superior and implying bad things about people who disagree with your unsupported claims.

This is a rules debate between adults. If you're not prepared to cite rules and act like an adult, then I suggest you refrain from posting at all.

There is no 'rule of common sense.' Common sense is not common. Your idea of common sense is not the same as mine, and nowhere does it say "Well, if something doesn't make sense to you personally, just ignore it and make up your own rules"

How does this fail to make 'common sense'?

The necron needs to be close to other necrons in order to repair its damage. Yes?

This much has been established. The presence of other necrons nearby helps a damaged necron repair himself. Without other necrons around he cannot repair. This is established.

So, if it gets damaged away from other necrons and lies dormant until more of his kind are around to help him repair. Makes perfect sense to me.

It's not going to bleed to death waiting for help, is it? It's disabled and non-functional until a necron energy source comes near enough to it to cause it to rise once more.

Either defend your statements like an adult or stop wasting time and bandwidth by throwing fits when someone proves you wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As much as I hate the idea of Necrons laying around waiting to stand back up, it does make sense that way. And from what I have seen the RAW match up. Guess that means that I'll have an additional challenge to keep in mind when I play my rival. As if it wasn't hard enough for Tau to push forward and take ground :mad:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Well, you don't have to *tell* him about it ;)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
As if it wasn't hard enough for Tau to push forward and take ground :mad:

Are you kidding? Tau are among the fastest and most powerful armies in the game. The general consensus here is that they're rather broken. A mounted assault featuring Fire Warriors in Devilfish and units of Steath and Crisis suits can advance laying down a flat out ridiculous amount of firepower and redeploy out of the enemy's assault range. It takes a very quick unit to chase down Tau units... bikers or jump troops are the only ones with a hope.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I said push forward and take ground. Which means I make the distance between myself and those nasty assaulty troops even less. I realize that Fire Warriors mounted in Devilfish can take a point pretty well, especially when supported by suits and hammerheads. But holding that ground when the Assault Marines crashes in is a different story. And let's be honest, a good player isn't going to allow many easy shots to his assaulty troops so that the Tau player gets to shoot the slow guys the rest of the game.

I won't knock the power or speed of Tau. Just our ability to take and hold ground. I can run around and snipe all day long, and win battles like that (In fact, it's how I do win battles). But there is no way I can plop 3 squads of Fire Warriors in the middle of the map and tell an enemy (Particularly MEQ) that they can't do anything about it. That 4 turns of shooting is now 1 of rapid fire (I know how to FoF, but there are work arounds) and now they sit there for every heavy bolter, autocannon and battle cannon to pound into fine blue gore.

But then again, Tau combat doctrine isn't about holding territory either.

Sorry, I got way of topic. Back to WBB. If you wish to discuss this further, Horus, please PM me or we can talk about it in chat sometime soon.

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
this thread has been bought to the attention of the mod team as it is getting a little heated in here. please stay polite and good natured.

i understand that the original question of this thread has been answered, however i will leave it open for discussion. any more flaming or bickering and lockage will occur.

cccp

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.