Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm look at picking up a new army to build slowly, new model/box a month etc. I've got Nidzilla, DE and my Sisters - I've retired my Iron Hands to a collection as opposed to playing for those wondering why they aren't listed.

I love some of the Necron models and Ork models. I'm buying Orks but using the Dread Mob list as a collection, but I want to use Necrons, but everyone I've seen uses them as a shooty force, but I think they have some really nice combat units so im wondering if they can be used as a combat orientated army?

I don't like shooty focused armies where that's all they can do. It's why Tau and IG haven't appealed to me yet I like Nids, Orks and DE because I can do either.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It can't be entirely CC, for crons CC is more of an extra support option. Scarabs you always want to be taking anyway because they are great at taking down vehicles/ absorbing fire and wraiths are great for deep striking behind enemy lines and spyder are ok at combat but they are mainly for repairing vehicle and making scarabs.

Apart from that you don't really want lychguard or preatorians at anything less thatn 1500pts as they are too much of a points sink if something goes wrong - for instacne I lost a 10 man squad of lychguard to hallucination once, so that was 400pts completely wasted and flayed ones are just down right awful. Don't get me wrong when crons get into CC they fuck shit up especially against terminators, but they are too expensive to have a lot of.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I find that while Necrons are primarily shooty, they can handle themselves in combat when needed. Sprinkling Warscythe Lords around ensures the unit can hurt anything that comes your way and the good old Mindshackle Scarabs can deter a lot of units from assaulting you, though not as well as a Lightning Field. Of course, these are just gimmicks and won't guarantee you charging into combat. But that's the subtle beauty to it. A moment's hesitation can be used to your advantage.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Wraiths with Whip Coils are really good at fucking up units. MEq is the best to go up against with them, I find, and then Terminators are best left to be hit from a distance either with very powerful weapons or simply with Tesla. I much prefer Tesla to Gauss personally, as I run a list with 30 scarab bases in it to take care of the tanks and push comes to shove I've got a few warscythes around which can deal with some vehicles.

In addition, my 2,000 point competitive list has three doom scythes and two night scythes which are good for hitting tanks.

With close combat, Wraiths are generally good for eating up infantry and scarabs are good for hitting tanks but also for simply clogging down enemy units you don't want getting too close, like an assault termie squad heading for an objective or one of your shooty units that you need to keep alive.

TL;DR

Wraiths and Scarabs, man. Wraiths and Scarabs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts