Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, a friend of mine decided to introduce me to Necromunda (partially so he'd have someone to play with, and partially so he'd have some back up while trying to convince his girlfriend to play), and I really like the look of the game system.

Unfortunately, I dont have the money to go out and buy a brand spanking new Gang, so I thought I'd be able to convert one.

As my main army is Orks, and as such I have a medley of bitz (40k and WHFB) lying around, I am now in the process of creating an Ork gang.

But I need some info - are there any GW rules for Ork gangs out there, or any homebrwe rules that people have used for Orks and found effective. Or should i just convery my boyz and play a Goliath gang?

Thanks for any input guys, and girls!

Jakkie

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd say the Goliaths would be the best bet if you can't find any official rules relating to them (I've not seen any myself and used to be a bit of a fiend for Necromunda). I reckon you could have a pretty cool looking gang of greens :)

Post up some pics when you've done them, I'd like to have a snoop :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Goliaths are the weakest gang, Muscle skills generrally aren't very useful (but very funny) and their armoury is very bad. Van Saar are by far the best Gang, Orlocks probably running second, because of the VS skil table. Everyone gets the oh-so-useful Techno skills! If you just want the gang to look good, then sure go for Goliaths, but if it's only the fact that you don't have the money for a new gang, I'd suggest buying either Eldar Guardians and using human heads as Van Saar or a box of Catachans for Orlocks. I myself have painted up a couple of Catachans as Orlocks and they look really good. Another possibility for Van Saar is just using Cadians, they look the part IMHO.

On an aside, how are you planning to make the different weapon types? As Goliaths you can't have Lasguns (boo) but can get Shotguns (yay).

Midnight

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im trying to complete this gang without spending a penny (a feat i have so far managed to stick to!), just using old ork models and various muscled/clothed arms...

So far, they all look pretty cool, as well as providing a nicely rounded, 7-man starting gang.

Heres a quick list:

Leader: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frags

Heavy: Autocannon, Laspistol, Club

Ganger: Shotgun, Laspistol, Club, Man-Stopper Shells
Ganger: Shotgun, Stubgun, Club, Frags

Juve: Stubgun, Knife, Dum-Dum Bullets
Juve: Stubgun, Club
Juve: Stubgun (x2), Club, Frags

Total Point = 1,000

@Grins - Iv almost finished painting them, so ill try and get pics up by the end of the week :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
2 Gangers is no way near enough, you will get next to no income that way. Drop two Juves, add three Gangers and swap out the Autocannon for a heavy stubber. Heavy Stubbers are really easy, they're just big shootaz really. Stub Guns with Dum-Dums are iffy, you may as well have an Autopistol really. Man Stoppers are great, I put them on all my Shotguns.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Here are some rules for making your own nec gang if people let you. Have fun with it and post some pics when you're done. Also I agree, two gangers is nowhere near enough. I'd suggest to switch the autocannon for a heavy stubber and try and get two extra gangers. If you don't have enough credits, loose the secondary weapons as you can always buy them later.

Mind you I wouldn't have thought you would have spent all of your 2K credits with your list so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Goliaths are the weakest gang, Muscle skills generrally aren't very useful (but very funny) and their armoury is very bad. Van Saar are by far the best Gang, Orlocks probably running second, because of the VS skil table. Everyone gets the oh-so-useful Techno skills! If you just want the gang to look good, then sure go for Goliaths, but if it's only the fact that you don't have the money for a new gang, I'd suggest buying either Eldar Guardians and using human heads as Van Saar or a box of Catachans for Orlocks. I myself have painted up a couple of Catachans as Orlocks and they look really good. Another possibility for Van Saar is just using Cadians, they look the part IMHO.

On an aside, how are you planning to make the different weapon types? As Goliaths you can't have Lasguns (boo) but can get Shotguns (yay).

Midnight
You're right with your gang descriptions (I've always favoured orlocks thoughm I think just because I liked the look of them ;-) lol), but I would have thought the goliaths would be the best rules for a counts as ork gang, them being not too tech savvy and all :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Midnight Sun - yeah, i found taht out after the first turn. But iv now bought another ganger, and almost raised one of my Juves to Ganger level, so that should even it out a bit.
Also, having played a few games with the Autocannon, I have decided to replace it with a Heavy Stubber - an extra SF, and 120pts less outweighs the loss of strength and range...

@Piemaster - you got those rules? And ill take some pictures tomorrow/friday and get them up. Also, you only get 1000 creds when you start a campaign.

I wouldnt say Goliaths are the weakest gang at all. I tend to choose from the Ferocity table, as opposed to the Muscle table, most of which are very useful. Admittedly, they dont start with the best options, but after a few games that doesnt matter as youll have enough creds to buy decent stuff from the Trading Post... as well as capturing enemy gangers and stealing their stuff :). Alrady got a lasgun off one, which is going on my new Ganger, as soon as iv finished painting him.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, I said I would, so here are the pictures of my Gang so far.

Irongob's Greenskinz:

Irongob

'One-Arm' Judan

Scarface Tussar

Cohar

Private Jonsey

Mekker

Grimm Two-Shot

And two more recruits being trained (painted).

Shadah

Lil' Jimmy

Sorry for the picture quality. The cameras good, but my hands shake a bit. Too much coffee...
Barrels need to be drilled out, or painted, and Jonsey has a bit of white showing, but ill get that sorted asap. Also, Cohar seems to have contracted some kind of disease that makes him froth white paint...ill get him looked at ;)
Hope you like them :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Quality mate :)

Is that Badrukk's feet? or another ork stood on a box? The gang boss looks cool, like the pose of him! Where did you get the model (don't recognise it! :))

Also, is that a shotty in Cohar's hand? looks ace :)

All in all, I love them :)

Orks FTW :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah i saw that. I love those rules, but weve already started the campaign. Next one we organise though :D haha.

Thanks for the feedback guys! really appreciate it :)

@Grins: Its a Gamesday LI Nob, early 90's, i think... theres a few up on ebay, but they tend to go for £20-30. I was lucky to get one in a big box of discards from a friend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts