Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone, and their dog has ranted about the current CSM codex, or made a wish list of what they want to see in the next codex, but still humor me for a second.

Recently something has caught my attention, and that is the idea that DP's should actually vary drastically in strength. Now I know their are more pressing issue for the next CSM codex (Which should be released in about 1-1.5 years), but I still feel it necessary to give the player options to make a weaker, or more expensive DP. Now I know GW is on a streamline kick, however I would really like the options to represent DP's ranging from some random CSM who has just erct out daemonhood to one that has burned entire systems to the ground. Something like have a base template, that you can build on to the point where the thing starts to cost 250pts.

I would expect a template for a base DP to look something like this.

WS6 BS4 S5 T5 W4 I5 Sv3+/5+ pts cost=90pts
However then give the option to increase every stat by one, for a appropriate cost, then give the ability to take some limited wargear or daemonic abilities. I feel such a approach would really help address people's concerns about the lack of flavour in the CSM codex.

On a funny side not I would actually like the option of taking a weaker cheaper DP, rather then one more powerful then the one in the current CSM codex.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Honestly, i'd be happy if they just copy-pasted the current Chaos Daemons DP with slightly reduced prices (60 pt wings, hurpdeederp) and more psychic powers/stat boosts. Also God-Specific special rules: Furious Charge=Khorne, Fleet=Slaneesh, Feel no Pain=Nurgle, [random magic related thing]= Tzeentch

In a perfect world i'd like a massive half page listing of a berjillion different wargear/Daemonic gift/Psychic power options a la 3.5, but even wishful thinking can only get you so far.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but still a slightly streamlined option list for the DP could still be applicable for the next codex. For instance at the very least make marks on a DP or any IC for that matter actually do something worth noticing. For instance a khornate Dp/CSM lord would automatically have +1A/Furious charge, or a nurlgate DP, would have +1t/FNP. Of course the cost of marks on Ic/Mc's would go up, but at the moment I really couldn't give a damn if your Dp is Khorenate or Nurglate. All that matters currently is if it has wings and or lash.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Shouldn't he be more points? I know the one for daemons of chaos is 90 pts but that's cause he doesn't have an armor save.
One could also argue that the Daemons of Chaos one has absurdly overpriced wargear ;) 30 for 3+ armor and 60 for wings? Compared to the CSM one, that is a little over-priced, don't you think? :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
However then give the option to increase every stat by one, for a appropriate cost, then give the ability to take some limited wargear or daemonic abilities. I feel such a approach would really help address people's concerns about the lack of flavour in the CSM codex.
So you want them to go back to the way it was in the 3.5 codex? Me too.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
personally i feel a DP should have a better Inv. save than 5+ also i tired reading fluff about DPs laying waste to whole planets and being ungodly powerful butin game they die like chumps unless they are nurglate.

I too would like to see more available options sort of like how the old nids codex was where you pretty much could customise the character. Also if they want use a base stat line for them i feel they should a lil bit higher S value sine i dont know in many armies characters that are nowhere monsterous can also have S5 as well we are talkin about a DP a man who was favored so highly by he chaos gods that he granted an ultimate power but yet in game its almost a curse such as fearless.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So regardless of the minutia we all seem to agree on the core idea that the DP either requires at least one more option chart on their profile, or a higher base cost for generally increased stats.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Give them the option to take a Daemon weapon that doesn't rebel on a roll of 1, merely adds 1 attack.

Khorne DP would have a use

Tzeentch DP could warptime+deathscreamer+doombolt

Slaanesh DP with lash would just end lives with ease

Nurgle DP would have a pseudo-warptime with STR 6 poisoned weapons, and be free to take Nurgle's rot for extra wounds while in CC.

That would be pretty cool. For now though, I just take 1 DP and no other HQ to spend points elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.