Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Big E built the astronomicon how did navigators navigate? The only explanation that I have heard that makes sense to me is that the humans of the Dark Age had the ability to build beacons that could be seen in the warp. Are their any other explanations out there?

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Didn't the birth of Slaanesh have a certain say about things? You know with warp-storms and such suddenly appearing (thought that was why Empy tried to create/recreate the Webway).

I went here just to skim over the stuff http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Navigators

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't the birth of Slaanesh have a certain say about things? You know with warp-storms and such suddenly appearing (thought that was why Empy tried to create/recreate the Webway).

I went here just to skim over the stuff http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Navigators
As I recall the birth of Slaanesh had a calming effect on the Warp. The multitude of Warpstorms that made the Great Crusade infeasible died down allowing for the Emperor's Legions to conquer the galaxy.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Strife#Rise_of_the_Emperor

2nd paragraph.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's already established that cogitators can compute short jumps of less than 5 light years. Navigators can probably extend this to some degree. But the key to the Astronomicon is that it allows extremely long jumps. Think about it: If it takes a lot of energy (fuel) to get into the warp, and then get out, then doesn't it make sense that the fewer jumps you make, the better your endurance? The largest battleships might eat so much power that making 5 ly jumps over and over might burn them out in short order. The old human civilization was made up of a confederacy, implying that they were still effectively isolated. They could communicate fine, and travel fine, but it took so long, and used so much fuel, that it wasn't economical. The astronomicon enables a centralized government more than it does anything else. By this logic the thing could shut down and the Imperium would disintegrate even as parts of it persevered. Only the threat of some massive, coordinated attack threatens human extinction at this rate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't remember where I read it but in the Golden Era that mankind used warp beacons in lieu of an astronomicon. I think also that humans at this time were highly interdependent and not isolated as when Old Night descended there was mass starvation from the collapsed galactic economy. Sorry no fluff references available.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
We know that the Warp Drive was invented by Humanity in M18, and that warp travel then occurred without Navigators. The first Navigators were born a few millennia later in M22 (ish) which allowed "human spaceships to make even longer, quicker warp-jumps". How they navigated without the Emperor's Astronomican is anyone's guess really. Logical assumptions could be that they achieved it with technology (eg. warp beacons), pre-jump calculations were more accurate, or that the warp was relatively calmer.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
As I recall the birth of Slaanesh had a calming effect on the Warp. The multitude of Warpstorms that made the Great Crusade infeasible died down allowing for the Emperor's Legions to conquer the galaxy.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Strife#Rise_of_the_Emperor

2nd paragraph.
The birth of slaanesh did cause the warp storms plaguing the galaxy to disperse, but they arose near the end of the dark age, think of it kinda like labor.

We know that the Warp Drive was invented by Humanity in M18, and that warp travel then occurred without Navigators. The first Navigators were born a few millennia later in M22 (ish) which allowed "human spaceships to make even longer, quicker warp-jumps". How they navigated without the Emperor's Astronomican is anyone's guess really. Logical assumptions could be that they achieved it with technology (eg. warp beacons), pre-jump calculations were more accurate, or that the warp was relatively calmer.
I was given to understand that during the dark age it was calm. Also during the Dark age humans attempted a few different methods of navigating the warp, a genetic engineering/mutation breeding program(navigators) and various machines/programs, the most accurate was the mutants so they when with that as it was better and self replicating. In the Night Lords novels the navigator was taught to use accumulations of souls to navigate, I imagine that's how pre-astro navigators did it..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts