Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it made of?

I was having a talk with some friends but we could not agree what it was made of, I think it’s a kind of organic crystal in the shape of an eye; someone else thought it was just a regular milky coloured eye.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
It seems to differ between Navis families, or more specifically, the writers who deal with the Navis families. In some books it appears to be like a hard crystalline growth that must be covered, in others it seems to be like a normal eye.

There haven't been many novels that have dealt too deeply with Navigators. The Night Lords trilogy, Wolfblade, the Inquisition Wars trilogy are the only ones I can think of where they are anything more than fringe characters.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It is basically a third eye as others here have said, the only notable difference is that it glows a hellish red. If the Navigator/Psyker uses this eye then it will open up, and not any other time. Additionally, according to Lexicanum's Lore at least, it takes quite the mental capacity to simply use the eye; let alone fully utilize it's affective powers.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
It's an eye that looks directly into the warp. If they look at another living being with it, the effects are fatal.

Other than that, nothing really suggests that it's much more than another eye. Normal psykers are proof that you need not be too physiologically different to be tied to the warp.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The depictions of navigators in the fluff has been very varied.

In the old stuff Navigators slowly mutated overtime, becoming far more bestial in appearance. The truly ancient ones and the patriarchs of the Houses bore no relation to baseline humans at all. As far as I know that hasn't yet been retconned. Then again, Navigators having exactly been explored in depth recently.

The 3rd eye is sometimes depicted as another, if odd looking eye. Othertimes it's like a hard growth or jewell inset into the head. I think i've even read one where the eye was a metaphorical- the name for the navigatyors psychic power enabling them to look into the warp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts