Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so they arent nasty but i am quite curious about them and was hoping some people could answer a few questions for me. I do quite enjoy my chaos space marines but i have been looking for a new army and i am verrrrry indecisive. For some reason the Necrons constantly catch my eye so i gotta ask...pro's and con's, how do they do against space wolves and the tau, are they fun to play?

The only thing thats kept me from leaping into them head first is they have very few troop selections. coming from a CSM army which has many i was a wee bit worried does their low troop selections hurt the army? Do they plan on more coming out in the 5th ed. codex

If someone or a few people could help me answer some questions i would be most greatful.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If you like playing CSM then you will find Necrons very different.

Many people don't think that Necrons are competitive, but in the case of games vs SM or Tau: I have never lost with Necrons against them.

The Codex is very simple, but very hard to master. You have to enjoy strategy and analysis, and then they really pay off.

Necrons are very cheap to collect, so you can build up a large army faster. At the same time you will need a large army because Necrons are really boring in low point games. 1,500pts+ is when they start to come into their own.

Currently there is no plan for a 5th ed. codex, but there might be one in 6th ed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will warn you that of the 4 people at my store who have tried them so far (many games not just play one game and then hate them) have failed to enjoy them. I was considering it as well until I played as them a few weeks in a row and lost games that with my old space marine army (footsloging so the comparison isn't mech to necrons) i would have swamped, I phased out two games and just had a hard time in the first one. Not an army I would recommend jumping blindly into.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
easy army to play, hard army to master. Take it from thsi old Cron fan(i remember the 2nd editon all metal army they had. Ahhhh good times :eek:k:)
The idea is you need to protect your Necrosn while destroying your oppoent. Necrons are hard to kill having Marine like stas (MEQ) and a 50/50 chance of comeing back(most of the time). They also have the Monalith which is the most deadly tank in the game...outside of apocalypse. But here is a easy way to win with crons.

1 - Keep most crons out of combat such as your warriors. Warriors arn't fearless and if chased down you won't get WBB rolls. Oly Wraiths and Flayed ones should consider it unless victory is sertain.
2 - Keep the Cron numbers high so don't even think of taking any non-cron units in a list of less than 1500pts. NEVER spend more than 500pts on non-cron units in ANY game witht eh exeption of Monaliths or C'tan.
3 - Make sure you have eaither a Monalith OR C'tan in a 1500pts+ army. They really need one at that point. Alos Spyders becuase an option as they can keep the units coming back even without anyhting to join within there normal range(You never need more than 2 Monaltihs anyway)

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Monolith is the keystone to your force, it moves your troops around, takes your warriors out of close combat...deepstrikes to make a hole in a gun line.

While the destroyers are your work horse for taking out their units, proper use of a monolith can completly change your game.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
...or not.

There are several ways to play the standard necron armies, but only really one tactic: stay out of combat while smashing the enemy to pieces with your longer ranged firepower.
Some do this with monoliths to pull warriors out of combat, get extra WBB and generally annoy the enemy although I just go for the destroyer force and use their speed to avoid the enemy while interspaced CC units take on those units I cant avoid (combat lord, C'tan or spyder at a push). Either wayyou are looking at keeping your immortals/destroyers alive and clear of combat so they can fry the enemy and your warriors save (to claim objectives and stay free of phase out).

Of course there are radically different necron armies, I would love to run a combat necron force but they have their own tactics and are probably even harder to manage (personally I only got into crons for the challenge, and because everyone in my area thought they were an auto-lose army... which is fun as my crons are still undefeated).

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Agreed Tim/Steve, Necrons are not everyones cup of tea and require a steady hand to work properly, poorly played necrons are aweful but well played they are hard to defeat.

A lord with a warscythe is one of my least favourite oponents

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just throwing in my 2 cents here.

WARSCYTHES ARE TERRIFYING!

No saves allowed, no FNP allowed, and 2d6+S vs vehicles.

The no saves includes invulnerable saves, so everyone is equal before the might of the Necron Stabby-stick!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreed Tim/Steve, Necrons are not everyones cup of tea and require a steady hand to work properly, poorly played necrons are aweful but well played they are hard to defeat.

A lord with a warscythe is one of my least favourite oponents
though u can give your Lord a warscythe I prefer the staff, it a power weapon that can shoot str5 ap3 shots and it comes with the lord to begin with. Like most have said above CC is not your friend though certain units can do it such as the Flayed ones though I've never been a fan of them. The Monolith is your best friend in 1500+ games, the portal will save your time and time again, plus it amazingly resilient. I think the main pro of necrons though is the fact their a cheap army to play

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
1 - Keep most crons out of combat such as your warriors. Warriors arn't fearless and if chased down you won't get WBB rolls. Oly Wraiths and Flayed ones should consider it unless victory is sertain.
You do receive WBB from sweeping advance. Any model reduced to 0 wounds or that would otherwise be removed as a casualty may attempt self repair.

jaws900 said:
2 - Keep the Cron numbers high so don't even think of taking any non-cron units in a list of less than 1500pts. NEVER spend more than 500pts on non-cron units in ANY game witht eh exeption of Monaliths or C'tan.
Tomb Spyders? Always worth it imo. Avoid pariahs (immortals are better anyway pointswise) and generally take a monolith rather than a c`tan. You can take both, but I`d try to get some experience and feel for the army first, as a c`tan can be quite an investment and you need to use him right.

jaws900 said:
3 - Make sure you have eaither a Monalith OR C'tan in a 1500pts+ army. They really need one at that point. Alos Spyders becuase an option as they can keep the units coming back even without anyhting to join within there normal range(You never need more than 2 Monaltihs anyway)
Any higher than this, and a c`tan becomes worth while. Mainly because you can have a working army at around 1200 - 1500, and any higher just means you can treat yourself to something fun.

btw, three monoliths is fucking hilarious in 1,750. :laugh:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
You do receive WBB from sweeping advance. Any model reduced to 0 wounds or that would otherwise be removed as a casualty may attempt self repair.
Sorry Serpion, but you are incorrect. The whole reason many necron players hate 5th ed is that if they lose combat then they'll very quickly start to lose entire units since Ld10 isnt so good when you start adding in a few modifiers and the necrons low I means they'll almost always get swept. Nothing can save a unit from a sweeping advance...

P40 BRB- Sweeping Advances said:
The destroyed unit is removed immediately. Unless otherwise specified, no save or other special rule can rescue the unit at this stage; for them the battle is over.
Since WBB doesnt specify that WBB roles can be made after a sweeping advance (how could it) it fits into the "other special rule" part of that and so cannot save the unit in any way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts