Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new Chaos Space Marines codex rumored to be coming soon, I've been wondering what they will call it. I know "Chaos Space Marines" is not copyrightable so I expect it will be getting a new "High Gothic" name.

Please post your predictions and have fun with it. Here are mine:

Khaos Astartes
Chaus Astartes
Adeptus Astartes Damnus
Legio Emortus: Astartes Damnus
Bloody blood of the blood blood

Whatever it is, it's sure to be rediculous. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't understand, the Space Marine codex is still called "Space Marines". Why would it not be "Chaos Space Marines?"
Yes you're right, "Chaos Space Marines" will most likely still be in the title. I believe they will add something addional, to bring it in line with the "Adeptus Astartes" in "Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines" and Codex Adeptus Astartes: Blood Angels"

My serious guess would be

Codex (butchered latin for lost and the damned, or maybe a reference to fallen legions as they still operate as the legions of old): Chaos Space Marines

This would make it easy to follow the pattern with Codex _____: Iron Warriors and the like.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Adeptus Infernus?
Astartes Infernus?
Adeptus astartes ex infernus?

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Codex: Very Naughty Boys.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It would be unrealistic for it to be something like

Codex Chaos Space Marines: Traitor Legions?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Surely The CSM name wouldnt have to relate to the high gothic loyal version because they no longer use that kind of language - who calls themselves the damned traitor legions? Unless all of the codex names are written from the point of view of the Imperium.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Do the Dark Eldar call themselves the Dark Eldar?

Do the Eldar call themselves Craftworld Eldar?

I'm pretty sure it's an arbitrary outsider point of view.

@Haskanael - Why would it be a dataslate? EVERY CSM legion was originally a traitor legion. It'd be a great way to differentiate if you wanted something a little bit more interesting than just 'Chaos Space Marines'.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Do the Dark Eldar call themselves the Dark Eldar?

Do the Eldar call themselves Craftworld Eldar?

I'm pretty sure it's an arbitrary outsider point of view.

@Haskanael - Why would it be a dataslate? EVERY CSM legion was originally a traitor legion. It'd be a great way to differentiate if you wanted something a little bit more interesting than just 'Chaos Space Marines'.
to differentiate between traitor chapters and traitor legions? there are also quite a load of newer founded chapters that have turned from the Imperium like the red corsairs/astral claws to give an example. not all traitor marines originated from the legions.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
to differentiate between traitor chapters and traitor legions? there are also quite a load of newer founded chapters that have turned from the Imperium like the red corsairs/astral claws to give an example. not all traitor marines originated from the legions.
Ah, but every legion that's mentioned in C:CSM to date has been Legion-based. With the exception of Black Templars, that's the same for Loyalists, also.

Thousand Sons
World Eaters
Black Legion (formerly Sons of Horus)
Death Guard
Alpha Legion
Emperor's Children
Night Lords
Iron Warriors

TECHNICALLY, because the Traitors never got a second founding or the rest, they've never broken into chapters. Astral Claws went wrong, and were a SM Chapter after the later foundings. THEY would be more appropriate for a dataslate (just like Crimson Slaughter was).

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Ah, but every legion that's mentioned in C:CSM to date has been Legion-based. With the exception of Black Templars, that's the same for Loyalists, also.

Thousand Sons
World Eaters
Black Legion (formerly Sons of Horus)
Death Guard
Alpha Legion
Emperor's Children
Night Lords
Iron Warriors

TECHNICALLY, because the Traitors never got a second founding or the rest, they've never broken into chapters. Astral Claws went wrong, and were a SM Chapter after the later foundings. THEY would be more appropriate for a dataslate (just like Crimson Slaughter was).
you actualy make a very good point there

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Not entirely true @Xabre, while the traitor legions did not have a break down in size or foundings to create more of their number, some of them did fracture and divide.

The World Eaters, Emperors Children, Night Lords, and even Thousand Sons generally operate in smaller warbands. And the companies/fellowships/grand companies of legions like the Word Bearers, Black Legion, and Iron Warriors seem to operate like loyalist chapters (the main difference being their additions keep the name and colours of that given legion.)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
They're referred to as "Traitor Astartes" in some older GW books, before GW started enforcing the "call everything Space Marines not Adeptus Astartes" policy--which, well, they've since reversed in favor of copyrightability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts