Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I can't find anything in the rules about this. I assume it is, therefore, not a problem, but just in case:

If I were to field a custom chapter, could I include unique units from the founding chapter? For example, if I played an Ultramarine successor, could I include Marneus? The rules seem like that'd be fine (especially since all that means is that I'm playing Ultramarines that look different), but I don't know if I'm missing something. Further, do other players tend to be cool with that sort of thing?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
As long as you specify things before the match it should be fine, though some people/clubs are pretty concerned with 'what you see is what you get' (WYSIWYG) and all wargear must be present on the model in question.

I'd go so far as to model a sweet and awesomely in-character HQ option to have the same weapons loadout and use them as a counts-as <insert unique character here> for my army. Lots of people make their own characters because some of the old sculpts just aren't up to snuff with the stuff we have now anyway, this is no different in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
If I were to field a custom chapter, could I include unique units from the founding chapter? For example, if I played an Ultramarine successor, could I include Marneus?
If your army is using the Ultramarine chapter tactics than yes, you could field Calgar. You could call him by a different name, model him a bit differently, but in the end as long as your opponent knows that model is using the rules for Calgar and everything is explained then there should be no problem.

Reactions: Tyriks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... some people/clubs are pretty concerned with 'what you see is what you get' (WYSIWYG) and all wargear must be present on the model in question.
Man, that would suck! I am pretty sure I have built nothing to reflect how I would equip them, but just based on what I like the look of. Maybe going forward I will try to do a little more of that... Except that I have no idea what wargear I would upgrade because I don't have enough models built to actually play. What a dilemma! I guess now I get why some people are so into magnetizing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Maybe going forward I will try to do a little more of that... Except that I have no idea what wargear I would upgrade because I don't have enough models built to actually play.
At first I went with rule of cool and all my sergeants had plasma pistols and other such 'less than effective' wargear, but over time you end up with a fair amount of unused bits and you can then (with the purchase of a Tactical squad) make a ton of marines with various armaments for WYSIWYG play. In all honesty most people don't care, but never expect your opponent to actually remember what's what; get that stuff written down on a piece of paper so it's obvious. This sort of stuff is really easy to forget in-game when you've got a ton of other things to think about.

I guess now I get why some people are so into magnetizing.
I use an absolute ton of magnets on vehicles and walkers, but never on my infantry models unless it's to swap a normal backpack for a jump pack on a Character I've concocted. I find with the small parts it's a bit too fiddly, plus I really care about the position of my models and often cut things apart and put them back together into very specific poses I'd hate to see nudged 'off' because of magnets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use an absolute ton of magnets on vehicles and walkers, but never on my infantry models unless it's to swap a normal backpack for a jump pack on a Character I've concocted. I find with the small parts it's a bit too fiddly, plus I really care about the position of my models and often cut things apart and put them back together into very specific poses I'd hate to see nudged 'off' because of magnets.
I might have to look up how to magnetize, moving forward. I actually have enjoyed making my BA death company into sternguard vets because they have much better pose options than the other models I've built so far (scouts w/ sniper rifles and assault terminators are it for infantry, both are pretty static). I could totally understand being frustrated by something screwing that p, even a little!

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
what is that?
Thats a pin vice, a good tool for drilling small holes for magnets or rods that will help in putting models together.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question that I don't want to start a new thread for. With Grimaldus (BT chaplain) he can take cenobyte servitors, who apparently do nothing but soak wounds and give a FnP bubble. If you take servitors, can he still join a unit? If not, the servitors seem like they suck since they have no weapons and are easy to kill. That's a lot of points for guys to just stand there until they die (they cost more than a tactical marine, but with worse stats and no weapons). So, do they just join a unit with him, or what?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.