Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,
I'm completely new to 40k and I'm in the process of learning the rules and building a CSM army.
I bought the daemon nurgle prince today, the one that is holding a massive sword and looks like a zombie.
Now looking at the new codex I'm looking at daemon prince (HQ)......is this the same guy???? Or someone different????
I looked at his stats on the codex and compared them to the ones on GW and they are different?
Now I'm confused......what stats do I use? If its the one from GW then does he not gain any extra's eg.....daemon of nurgle, chaos rewards/artefacts, mastery levels, wings, power armour?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ignore the stats from the website. It is possible those were never updated from the previous version or are for the Chaos Daemons version of the same model (yes, that makes no sense, just go with it). Always use what is in your codex as that will be the most accurate and up to date information.

In terms of wargear, gifts, and extras that model can still take those things since the same model is used for two different codexes with completely different options. Just follow your codex and ignore GWs website. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You see i really think that the daemon prince in the CSM codex is totaly different to the guy in the CD codex........in the csm codex for the Daemon Prince it states that he must either be a deamon nurgle, khorne etc etc......?????....well ofcourse he's a nurgle......he's a nurgle prince isnt he? he has the rooting flesh etc so why would i make him khorne etc......so i really think the prince in the CSM codex is the actual prince with wings to spare who can be either a follower of the gods to your liking.

I also see that on page 48 of the 6th edition rulebook a nice picture of Nurgle Demon Prince under the heading "Monstrous Creatures" which have rules such as Fear, Hammer of wrath, move through cover, relentless and smash.

Then after further digging i find out that Nurgle prince in the CD codex is a heavy support character, but under the GW CSM army list he is under HQ.

I was going to use him as a HQ but considering the allies rule i could quite easily use him as heavy support with stats from CD codex leaving me with more room for two HQ's.

So to sumarise....i honestly think he has nothing to do with the CSM Codex but rather the CD codex, so i can utilise the allies rule.

Don't do that. asking for points costs is wrong and makes puppies cry.
-DK

·
Registered
287 Posts
All of that is true. The same model has two completely different sets of rules depending on if you take him in CSM or CD. It makes no sense to me, but rules is rules.

Other thing to consider is in the new codex Daemon Princes are also HQ unless you take a Greater Daemon of that god as an HQ choice. So you could take a Greater Daemon of Nurgle and a Nurgle Daemon Prince as HS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok now im even more confused.
Daemon prince in the CSM Codex is also under the HQ for CD on the GW site, so maybe its a case of if you wanted him to be a nurgle and look more like a nurgle rather than a devil tyoe then you have the option to buy him that way?
Also i heard but not read that Nurgle Prince in the CD codex is under Heavy Support? Can anyone confirm this? But under the GW Site for CD armies he's under the HQ section.
If i can use him using CSM codec stats, would he have the option for nurgle powers wtc? plus could he have some sort of gun or do the powers count as a long distant attack???

HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of that is true. The same model has two completely different sets of rules depending on if you take him in CSM or CD. It makes no sense to me, but rules is rules.

Other thing to consider is in the new codex Daemon Princes are also HQ unless you take a Greater Daemon of that god as an HQ choice. So you could take a Greater Daemon of Nurgle and a Nurgle Daemon Prince as HS.
so using the allies rules i could have a greater demon of nurgle as my HQ for CSM and then a nurgle demon prince as HS.....leaving me room for another HQ if i wanted?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sort of. When you take an ally you get an allied Force Organization Chart. So your Daemon allies would allow you to take a CD HQ, 2 troops, elite, FA, and HS.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Hulk, take a deep breath snd stop looking to the GW website for rules help. It's confusing you. Read your own codex (either CSM or CD) and use the DP however the book lets you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sort of. When you take an ally you get an allied Force Organization Chart. So your Daemon allies would allow you to take a CD HQ, 2 troops, elite, FA, and HS.
So if I did take CD as allies, is it a MUST to have a HW,2 troop, hs, elite etc......there's no minimum etc? Eg if I wanted allies I could just have a greater demon nurgle as Hq and nurgle demon prince as HS and then have everything else a CSM?

Hulk, take a deep breath snd stop looking to the GW website for rules help. It's confusing you. Read your own codex (either CSM or CD) and use the DP however the book lets you.
Yea lol I do believe now that the demon prince nurgle is the very same guy from both books......I noticed you can get the other gods so I suppose it makes sense that under the CSM codex where it sates IT must be either nurgle Khomeini slaneesh etc its giving you a choice of customisation.
I've seen people with the horned looking demon prince go for a nurgle theme etc but I suppose if you wanted abut more authenticity then you have the options to go for a proper nurgle looking prince

·
Registered
287 Posts
So if I did take CD as allies, is it a MUST to have a HW,2 troop, hs, elite etc......there's no minimum etc? Eg if I wanted allies I could just have a greater demon nurgle as Hq and nurgle demon prince as HS and then have everything else a CSM?
The minimum is 1 HQ and 1 troop. What I listed was the maximum you could take with an allied detachment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts