Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So here is my first Space Marine, The base is still wip... what is a good gravel/sand substitute? Comments are welcome, criticism is expected :)

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
A good, or at least passable alternative to sand is coffee grounds, if you have a coffee machine make up a pot, enjoy, dry out the grounds and use them like sand.

For pebbles or rocks you could try keeping hold of the little bits of cork you broke up making the base, mix them into your coffee grounds sand and away you go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave that is the first plasma weapon I ever painted and I agree that it could need more work, would you simply move up the white so that it connects and fill it back up with blue?

The coffe sounds like an interesting idea, don't drink it myself but there are plenty of coffee drinkers in this house, already looking forward to that awkward moment when I ask him if I can keep his grounds...

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Dave that is the first plasma weapon I ever painted and I agree that it could need more work, would you simply move up the white so that it connects and fill it back up with blue?
Object Source Lighting can become very complex if you aim for realism.

At its most basic, each coil is a source of light so the coils in the centre will seem brighter. So if you join up the white on the centre of each side into a single larger patch it will give an impression of searing light.

If you want to make it slightly more realistic you could put a very pale blue wash into the recesses to make the individual coils just visible.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
How well do the coffee grounds work?
Depends on how finely you get your coffee ground but a course grind works well and looks very similar to GW modelling sand, finer grinds look a little more like soil but with a bit of care and attention with the the paint you can lift the look.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Very crisp, it looks brilliant, especially the eyes

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm happy that you like it!

Weird thing is that I start to like the plasma with more of a "glow" effect instead of a bright shine if that makes sense... I will still be working on it but it will be along the lines of what you can already see.

Alot of the credit has to go to Stahly from "Tale of Painters" and the tutorial he made there. Since I started new I just bought exactly the colours he used and followed the tutorial step by step. I hope to get the whole squat done in the next week or so.

Another question though, it seems like my GW ceramite white dries out soooo much faster than all my other paints. Is there a reason for that? Do you guys know the problem? I think I had the same problem with the old paint too. Should I just mix it with water or get a new pot?

Lokil

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
it seems like my GW ceramite white dries out soooo much faster than all my other paints. Is there a reason for that? Do you guys know the problem? I think I had the same problem with the old paint too. Should I just mix it with water or get a new pot?
It is designed to be a base coat so it has a high proportion of pigment to carrier; as white is a harder hue to get a clean single coat it might even have more pigment than other base paints.

Providing it has not dried out already it should recover if you add some water and mix thoroughly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Beautifull highlighting on the green! As an alternative to sand, try the citadel textured basing paints. I loe them, and they would probably work well over the cork.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dave i will try that! And thank you Charandris, I never tried those paints I will look into them. I would still need some sand for in between the cork I think I will pick some up after work today, so far my shopping list has liquid green stuff, modeling sand (the coffee drinker always forgets to leave me his stuff) and some textured basing paint on it...
And maybe I should built a wet palette hmm ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey,

Just a small update since I worked on the bases:

And a sneak peak of the Sergeant :

C&C are as always welcome

Lokil

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I don't really know where to go from here, I have never done many cloaks or the like so this is totally a new thing for me! It's kind of funny how confused I get when there is no edge I can just highlight :) any help is welcome!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I know it is taking me forever to paint but I really try to keep the highest quality I can paint right now and not to care how long it takes.

Saying that, here is the Sergeant and two more Marines:

And all of them together:

I hope you like it and as always I would love some comments and critics!!

Also Dave I worked on the Plasma... Maybe it is better that way what do you think?

Lokil

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Some damn fine work there! :so_happy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts