Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Heresy! :drinks:

I've been out of the hobby for quite a long time and have recently decided I want to be involved once again. I have played 40k, Fantasy and LotR but for now will be starting with 40k. Predominantly, I have collected Space Marines and Eldar, but I'm moving away from the light side and will probably start up with some Orks. This also means that all my old bits and models will be hitting eBay, since I want to do this properly with a fresh start.

I know there are a few websites about where you can buy Games Workshop's models cheaper than buying them direct, but I'm struggling to remember any of their names. I'm going to need paints, modelling equipment, White Dwarf, a Codex and, obviously, miniatures. Can anyone recommend companies please? Especially if they offer separate sprues as well! I need to get some purchase complete in time for the painting and conversion competitions I've seen running!

As well as Warhammer, I have a large interest in art and design. I have a full time job but I also do freelance art and graphic design work, as well as similar things that can be done in Photoshop. I have also created a signature thread for anyone that needs one, you can view it here.

I guess that's a length enough introduction for now. See you guys around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Heresy. Sounds like you've set yourself a big goal. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

As for cheap sellers, that really depends on what part of the world you're in.
My ultimate goal is quite large but it will be a very gradual process. Life is extremely hectic for me at the moment, albeit in a good way, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Also, I will be simply collecting, converting and painting for the foreseeable future. No playing for me!

I'm in the UK. Does that help?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Wayland games is one of the companies I bought from years back and never had a problem personally.
You're one of a priviliged few then. Anyone I know who've used them in recent times have had some pretty unsatisfactory dealings with them. I cancelled an order after 6 weeks waiting for it to be despatched. Never went back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're one of a priviliged few then. Anyone I know who've used them in recent times have had some pretty unsatisfactory dealings with them. I cancelled an order after 6 weeks waiting for it to be despatched. Never went back.
Wow. Thanks for the heads up mate. I guess things have changed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Firestorm games are good. I've always found them very reliable. I will say avoid Wayland Games and totalwargamer.co.uk. Very slow and very hard to get a hold of when you have a problem.

I'd 2nd that for total war gamer ordered some bits at the beginning of December and didn't come until 1st week in January they let saying they were waiting on stock but their website still said they were available to order when I emailed them gave some generic apology and finished every email with if you want the order do nothing if you don't well give you your money back

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Welcome back to the fold!
There are plenty of discount retailers out there, but experience shows the best service comes from the smaller guys, the likes of Wayland are trying to corner the market by offering for sale things they do not have in stock and hope you dont complain to much and cant be bothered to buy elsewhere. Also ebay - it is a gamers best friend!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Welcome back to the fold!
There are plenty of discount retailers out there, but experience shows the best service comes from the smaller guys, the likes of Wayland are trying to corner the market by offering for sale things they do not have in stock and hope you dont complain to much and cant be bothered to buy elsewhere. Also ebay - it is a gamers best friend!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Welcome to the boards mate :victory:

Wayland can be very hit and miss - in the past i've found them to be alright, but in the last month both myself and a friend have had issues (selling stuff they don't have in stock and not bothering to mention this until you ring them 2 weeks after ordering)

I usually order from gifts for geeks and have had great service from them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys. I need to have a dig and find all my old stuff to get it on eBay. Found my Uruk-Hai with their Scab Red armour. Keep hold of them for a while I think.

Where's a good place to get paints? Back in my day GW just did one range and kept it simple. I had a gander on their website and ended up completely baffled.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome to the Heresy! :drinks:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts