Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some scenery that I done a wile ago. I want to combine them both to make one. with some hints and tips from you fellows on Heresy I now know to use things like MDF for my base and Glycerine for my foliage....

I will be posting as I progress .....

Grimhad

Attachments

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
So far, so good!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Effective and simple: the way i like it. Really a nice piece of terrain. Are you going to add some rubble and detail on the base?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yah. that's just as far as I got last night before I sacked it for bed.

The problem Im having is this is my 1st proper peace of terrain so don't really know what to do to make the base not look o plane..??

any tips ?

Thanks for the poss feedback

Grimhad

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looking good, in regards to the base theres a couple of things you could try:
- Blood trail leading to a mutilated corpse; this will make it look like the site of a grizzy battle
- A wee communication node thing; this will make it look like a 'rear line' outpost
- A 'mysterious canister' or other equally elaborate objective marker. That would make it a nice centre piece if you decide to take up gaming.

Alternatively instead of glueing them onto the base you could model them separately and just set them/magnetise them to make it more versatile

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool I like the grizzy battle, could have some fun with that.

i'll have a look online see what sort of ides I can get and do some pen to paper work and see what I can come up with.

Grimhad

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As a generic idea, you could add rubble, bushes and bones. dakingofchaos has some awesome ideas! other thinks that come to mind:
-Some broken weapons in a pile,
-a major rubble pile, like some crumbled area of the ruins
-statues

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grizzy battle with a weapons pile sound like a good one. what do you think about the sandy floor ? It just looks a bit plane it needs some colour or something ?????

Thanks for all the tips guys its a big help.

Grimhad

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Usually the floor needs to be painted, otherwise it will alwais stand up as the "unpainted/unfinished" part of the terrain. You always want to paint even pebbles, in pebbles colours. You want it "sandy": paint it sandy. Brown base and the highlighting to yellow until you reach the soft bleached bone drybrush on the uppermost surfaces of the sand pavement.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Highlighting sand is easy too, all you need to do is work up gradually on dry brushes. I don't like the GW sand, i think it's too fine. I like Woodland Scenics coarse stuff, it takes paint really well! If you intend using it for gaming it's mabye worth varnishing it too, a gloss varnish on gravel looks nice I think, plus theres no rebasing a few years down the line.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
HIf you intend using it for gaming it's mabye worth varnishing it too, a gloss varnish on gravel looks nice I think, plus theres no rebasing a few years down the line.
very wise advice. Make it yours @Grimhad ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i see sounds like a plane thanks for the tips.

iv not been doing any thing for the last day or so.

im getting back on it tonight so i'll post updates with some of the things i'll be doing tonight.

Grimhad

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just had an idea for what I can add to make this epic.

im going to build up the back with some more blocks so it looks more like a room then add some Broken Columns then put a Dead Terminator Objective with loads of vines coming off the block work and on to the Dead Terminator.

can you see it ??

Grimhad

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds Awesome! Try putting the termie objective on a base and just setting it in the corner or whatever; means you can take it out and put it safe so it doesn't get smashed up in a box like mine did :( The vines sound awesome, you gonna green stuff it or try some etched brass foilage?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
arr sounds like a plan.

well for the vines, if you look at the wall to the front iv used rolling baki it works a treat (coat in pva glue and let it set ) stops the rot.

Grimhad

1 - 20 of 43 Posts