Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting up a 1700 Death guard nurgle army. Here are my first troops in it, my plague marines. I had actually built them before I got the bases because I was to impatient, the bases are custom resin which I bought online. These are my first models which I put alot of work and effort into with green stuff!

Anyway, here they are; enjoy: :)

Update: 25/8/10 - Rhino (bottom of post)

Plague champion with power fist:

Icon bearer:

Bolter marines:

My favorite out of the bolter marines:

Bolter marine with knife:

I am rather pleased on how the hand here came out, I took the heavy bolter arm and put one of those spiky bits on the end.

Third marine:

The special weapons:

Flamer: (yes I know I screwed up the hole in the front)

Melta:

Plasma: (I may need to nurgle him up a bit more, any ideas?)

Two randoms with bolters and chainswords:

Group shot:

Sorry got a bit blurry on this one.

I will be posting more pictures of my army as it keeps on growing. :)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Nice work, subtle and very nurgle-y :mrgreen: I like what you've done with the piping from the mouth to the backpack, or wherever it leads! :tongue: Get them painted man! :mrgreen:

Also head on over to the Chaos Lists, and show us what list you've planned! Make sure you got something very playable before you go nuts buying!

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work, subtle and very nurgle-y :mrgreen: I like what you've done with the piping from the mouth to the backpack, or wherever it leads! :tongue: Get them painted man! :mrgreen:

Also head on over to the Chaos Lists, and show us what list you've planned! Make sure you got something very playable before you go nuts buying!

Thanks for the reply, the tubing goes in random areas on different models. Some go on backpacks, others go into their torsos, I think one even goes into a shoulder pad. I'm headed off to GW this weekend to try out the colour schemes, know any good tutorials on colours for death guard?

Here's my list as you requested:

HQ:

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Warptime, Wings = 175 pts

Elites:

5 Plague Terminators - Terminator Champion, Heavy flamer with chainfist, 4 combi-meltas = 200 pts

Troops:

7 Plague Marines - Plague Champion with powerfist & Personal Icon, 2 plasma guns, Rhino = 271 pts

7 Plague Marines - Plague Champion with powerfist, 2 meltas, Rhino = 256 pts

7 Plague Marines - Plague Champion with powerfist, 2 flamers, Rhino = 256 pts

Heavy Support:

2 Obliterators = 150 pts

2 Obliterators = 150 pts

Land Raider - Daemonic Possession = 240 pts

Total = 1698

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
If you look out for Svartmetall, he has a small WIP tutorial on Nurgle and various other Nurgle-links, otherwise there is a thread going at the moment in this Forum called; renegade nurgle Guard, or something; Absolutely brilliant work on there, best i've ever seen; possible inspiration, because he has also got some Plague Marines and various Daemons on there.

So there is 2 places to look!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look out for Svartmetall, he has a small WIP tutorial on Nurgle and various other Nurgle-links, otherwise there is a thread going at the moment in this Forum called; renegade nurgle Guard, or something; Absolutely brilliant work on there, best i've ever seen; possible inspiration, because he has also got some Plague Marines and various Daemons on there.

So there is 2 places to look!

I've seen all of his tutorials.. he's my idol. :spiteful:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
nice looking PM's and great choice of base's for em, i have my whole CSM army on those base's, as you can see if you click on my log below

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice looking PM's and great choice of base's for em, i have my whole CSM army on those base's, as you can see if you click on my log below
They are indeed very nice bases, I plan on buying everyone those custom bases. Nice models in the log by the way.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Overall a great looking squad.

I'm starting up a 1700 Death guard nurgle army.
1700 is an unusual number; any particular reason?

Icon bearer:

The chest looks a little plain.

I am rather pleased on how the hand here came out, I took the heavy bolter arm and put one of those spiky bits on the end.

Simple yet effective.

Flamer: (yes I know I screwed up the hole in the front)

You could try drilling another two holes to make the nozzle looks like the sacred rune.

Exceptional concept for a backpack.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice Plague Marines you got there, one good tip for greenstuff though is to try not to leave finger/thumb prints in the finished product, I do it, but I often don't realize untill my modelled intestines are flat as pancakes haha but I always make sure I correct it afterwards.

On alot of your models I am seeing thumb prints, if you remember to keep your fingers away from the greenstuff you just placed then the finished product would be improved. To help this try taking it step by step with the model, for example greenstuff the legs then when the GS has dried move onto the torse etc, really helps with keeping fingerprints down as you have more space to put your fingers on the actual model.

Another good tip I could give you is to try and blend the GS with the model, make it look as if the Nurgly goodness is growing with him and not on him like the moss on a rock, Plague Marines decay on the inside as well as the out, a simply but effective way of doing this is just by moulding the greenstuff with the curves of the model and blending them in or by placing the rotted area around a recess. The 'Bolter marine and knife' you have is the closest example I could find of you doing this, note the rot is coming from a recess in his armour, this makes it look as if it is growing from within him and gives a plague-ridden feel to the model.

Now just to follow up on what Dave has stated, I feel that some areas of greenstuff are a bit plain, don't get me wrong but if you spent time to really define the GS then it will come out looking good.

Just for some inspiration I advise you strongly to look at Svartmetall's (spelling?) greenstuff work, he too does Nurgle and I think you'll be amazed at what you can achieve with some green putty. :)

And if you want you could check my thread out too, not as good as Svart's but you never know you might like it haha.

Keep going though you're doing great, cheers! :biggrin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are some very nice models you have there. Hopefully when I get my next squad I'll try to leave no fingerprints. :laugh:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update! My rhino has arrived and I have finally finished it after 4 hours. :victory:

Sorry got a bit blurry on this one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I like the work with the GS, though after reading through, comments from Dave and Perri seem to have covered the main issues re Greenstuff work.

Have you any idea on colourscheme? Many people go for the green armour look - I have a DG army - can be seen here http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66843&highlight=count - and my preference was for a rotted-down Death Guard look, so yellowed armour with green trim. The GW tutorial on DG takes this broad path here http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=1200032 but I altered the colourscheme slightly.

Anyway, keep up the good work of Old Father Nurgle...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I have my idea on the colourscheme, It's going to be that rotting green look. Nice models you have there by the way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts