Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here do any Larp?
For those who dont know Larp stands for Live Action Roleplay and involves dressing up and bashing people with latex weapons.....oh yeah and some roleplay. I do a large system, at renewal in august we usually have around 1000 people, with is pretty awesome when you have 500 people charging you on the battlefield.

http://www.thelions.org.uk/tw/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=36

heres some pics :) First one who spots me gets a biscuit

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup guilty as charged, started in a system caled howling wolf donkeys years ago, that ones still going as And The Gods Said. Its kind of died down now and everyones migrated to Fools and Heroes which is a nationaly run system with national plot etc which has a similar summerfest weekend, generally they build a bar and campsite and when you walk onto the site for friday your in charachter until you leave sunday so you really do get the drunken brawls!! (within reason, they are al in character)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if you take enough hits to a critical location[head or body] then you drop and start a 2 minute death count. If you are not magically healed the your character dies. You must then make a new character.

Thats how it is at cp anyway

·
Registered
252 Posts
fools and heroes is a one hit to each location system with extra hits for armour and the good old death count etc and bandages. Howling wolf was more indepth and combat orientated with basic 60 player life locational of 10 to each limb and 20 on the chest you called what level of damage with each hit etc depending on your skill or strength which did different damage. It sounds complicated but it was quite easy when you played it a couple o times and it was really engrossing say the difference between d&d and rolemaster.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
i just... couldnt. some people played Treasure Trap on our college quad while poeple played footie and fribee. they just... looked... oh dear.

·
Registered
252 Posts
hmmm fair comment but then thats like sitting down having an in depth conversation about GW rules with your whole collection of models with a couple of the geekiest players you know in front of your prospective girlfriend, its just not the best light to see it in lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
lol to give you some credit on that one i dont think id want to see the girlfriends of some of the guys i used to larp with in daylight, well to be honest i wouldnt ever want to meet them in a dark alley either lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
but would you be brave enough to fire it at a fully gimped jezlad paddle and all?

·
Registered
252 Posts
to put it short its a bunch of blokes running around like twats with weapons etc, with lots of down time. camping and roleplaying. So yes people end up on the beer and there are quite a few women on the games as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I never played a LARP, but I once took part in a Medieval battle as part of a festival in Beersel, an old castle-town here in Belgium. It was with full mail protection and blunt aluminum weapons (not of the latex kind). The arrows were real arrows with the padded cussions as arrowhead.
You just had to go and lie down if you were mortally wounded and had to fake other wounds (Right hand hit means fighting with the left hand).

I got dragged into it by my uncle, but I was only 15 or so. Had a great time swinging around with the bastard sword I borrowed from my uncle untill I got hit against the side of the helmet with a flail. (Knocked me of my feet and the ring made me deaf on my right ear for 2 weeks, but I was unharmed other than that. :D )
Never done it again since technically I was still to young (which was why I always stumbled on my mail shirt.) and occasionally people do get harmed when hit hard.
I'll definitely do it again though. :D

Cheers, Wolf Fang

·
Registered
252 Posts
A friend o mine does live re-enactments. They have all authentic kit which is checked before the off as are the weapons. Everyone must have two layers of metal armour all over especially gauntlets. No head shots alowed and full helmets must be worn at all times in case of acidents. Archers used to fire untipped arrows until a guy got one in the eye. The weapons are blunt as hell.

Rememebr this is re-enactment so they know which side has to win but after all the checks they go at it like hell for leather its really savage watching 400 blokes beating the hell out of each other with metal weapons.

They do this quite regularly at stately castles etc for displays, when they really want to put on a show they get a load of shields made out of thin balsa wood painted up so when they take a good hit they explode everywhere. Scares the living daylights out of the people watching :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts