Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(My new army of Tyranids!)

Hello everybody! :victory:

So im starting a new army of tyranids, and I dont know how to paint them so, listen up!

I was thinking tyranids are big and scary, and so are hornets (there really big bees for the people who dint know, which is possibly like 0.001% of all people) so im going to paint my tyranids like hornets realy scary and black and yellow.

Here are some pictures of about 5 tyranids I have put togeather and will be painted tomorrow so if you come here tommorrow you will be able to see them painted a bit...

Here is what im planning for them to look like. The yellow will be yellow and the black will be a nice glossy black.

Can I please have some sugestions on how to paint the yellow bits yellow. Because I do not know if i sould under coat thoses bits white seprate to the black. :)

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Hi :biggrin:

I'd probably undercoat them black then paint the yellow parts with Foundation yellow topped of with sunburst for "highlight" (eventually a very fine Skull White highlight to top it of) and maybe a brown wash to add definition. At least that's what I did when I painted some warning stripes on miniatures.

·
Registered
556 Posts
For the yellow:

Go ahead and prime the miniature black
2 coats of thin Foundation Yellow (Iyandan?)
Very thin wash of Gryphone Sepia
50/50 Foundation/Golden Yellow
Golden Yellow
50/50 Golden Yellow/Sunburst Yellow
Sunburst Yellow
50/50 Sunburst/White
Very thin wash of Gryphone Sepia

As you layer up the colors, you'll get a feel for how quickly you should move to the edges, and how much of the darker colors you should leave underneath. Id suggest that the last two coats at least should be on the very edge of the area.

Cheers.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
First off let me state ... that is the scariest fuckin bee I have EVER seen.

Now, I have found that the foundation paints will completely cover any traces of black so go ahead and primer them black and use the yellow foundation paint as your base for the yellow. The other posts have a better line on what you should do as far as painting goes. I really wanted to comment on the scary ass mutant hornet. *shudders* :shok:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok when i was painting my tyranids, i found out that my white had gone bad, so it looks like it willl be a week or 2 before i get some new paints, and finish it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts