Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well, me and my friend (Uriel Ventures on here) decided to go to Bath GW yesterday (28th March), for a game, and we went in, managed to get a table. Then set up, we had just literally got through the second turn, when somone came over, and explained about somthing that the staff had "Implemented".

This rule in my opinion is very slightly stupid. Because it means that you have to buy models one week, and if you want to game with them the next time you go it has to be at least undercoated, then after that you need to have a few more colours each week so they can see you are making progress... Why the hell do GW want to see you make progress??

What do you guys think because me and Uriel Ventures both collect 2 - 3 armies, and if you decided to collect two armies and have to paint all of them it does become rather time consuming, and to be honest I do have a life away from the hobby, and I don't spend all my time in GW painting...

So guys...

Views?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
An extremely retarded concept- if you'd entered into some form of painting contest/promotion or were in a store tournament then maybe the concept of having painted models (or at least showing progress painting-wise) could be explained. But simply having a pick up game there?
They have no right to dictate what state your models are in, they've already gotten their blood money when you purchased the damn things they have no right to dictate when or at what speed you paint them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with the manager. In games at peoples houses unpainted is ok. In stores where they are trying to get people to join the hobby painted armies are better than just grey plastic all over the place. You just can't beat two fully painted armies fighting it out.

I saw an article in WD a while back; the manager of the Newcastle store would only allow fully painted armies to play. As to the above, yes they can dictate - its their shop so their rules.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well, at the two I've been to you need models at least undercoated to play, unless you've just bought and built them there and then that day. But there's nothing saying you have to paint them. What an odd rule.

Oh, and nightfish, I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
i dont have a problem with this rule. the have it at my local GW too. it basically stops you taking the mickey by playing every week with a grey or black army, which no one really likes playing against. they don't force you to buy and paint a brand new army, its more like one coat of paint on one unit per week.

easy, right?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As above, I agree. Its a sensible rule and entirely reasonable. I think a full painted army in a week is a bit much, but a 3 colour model takes about 5 minutes to do.
I am a bit biased, I only play with fully painted units, but come on. Bare metal and undercoated models look absolutely shit.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I don't think its a bad rule at all I wish my local GW would implement that rule because it is very frustrating and annoying to bring in my fully painted ork army off 177 models with conversions to play against armies that are metal and plastic color or rarely even primered. I see the same people every week and they haven't done anything to their models.
I have a life outside the hobby as well I have 2 jobs, wife, 2 kids and other hobbies but I can still find a couple of hours during the week to work on models.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yet another reason why I never bother going to my local GW store unless I have to. Well, that and the un-knowledgeable sales monkeys that are all too eager to attach themselves to me and hoot and grunt about the newest preorder whatnot.

If they want to make me feel unwelcome because I'm not comfortable with my painting skills then they can fuck off. My business goes elsewhere, as do my painstakingly converted models.

What's going to draw more people in and get them to spend money, an army of badly painted crap, or me explaining exactly which bits from which kits went into making this...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yet another reason why I never bother going to my local GW store unless I have to. Well, that and the un-knowledgeable sales monkeys that are all too eager to attach themselves to me and hoot and grunt about the newest preorder whatnot.

If they want to make me feel unwelcome because I'm not comfortable with my painting skills then they can fuck off. My business goes elsewhere, as do my painstakingly converted models.

What's going to draw more people in and get them to spend money, an army of badly painted crap, or me explaining exactly which bits from which kits went into making this...
...By the Great Worm Spirit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Was that an opportunity to show of your work and not actually comment sensibly on the therad topic Galahad?

that and the un-knowledgeable sales monkeys that are all too eager to attach themselves to me and hoot and grunt about the newest preorder whatnot.
You know I wouldn't have thought but they are a business and those 'monkeys' are actually sales people so yea they would have to offer you products just like a supermarket would entice you to by 3 for 2 etc.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Was that an opportunity to show of your work and not actually comment sensibly on the therad topic Galahad?
You know I wouldn't have thought but they are a business and those 'monkeys' are actually sales people so yea they would have to offer you products just like a supermarket would entice you to by 3 for 2 etc.
Trust me Galahad doesn't post stuff just to get a bigger E-boner.
The deals stores offer you and the way GW staff act are two different things. I worked sales on 100% Commision so if I didn't sell anything I didn't make any money. The GW staff seem to work like they are on commision and they aren't. Like my trip to the GW today after informing the guy I only play orks he wanted to know if I was interested in ordering the new Guard codex. I told him no I only play orks, he asked my three more times if I was interested in ordering the gaurd codex. He also told me I should get the latest white dwarf because it has data faxes that can only be found in the magazine. So when I filpped through the magazine and showed him in the magazine where it said I could down load them from the website, he said the magazine was wrong,WTF!?!

On a great conversion I can understand not wanting to put a bad paint job on it but I am just talking about basic out of the box troops. I am not the best painter but I still paint everything. Even with a great conversion a okay paint job is better than no paint job because after a while people will want to see your creation painted.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Before this goes too far off on a tangent it is worth mentioning to those who aren't aware, by common consensus GW shops and staff are very different in the US compared to the UK and other locations that were discussed at the time. According to US members the US GW staff are very pushy and do try to sell you shit you don't need, whereas most posters at the time agreed that UK GW staff don't generally do that.

On to the topic at hand, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect some progress with your army if you want to play in a GW store, they aren't just selling plastic army men, they are selling the hobby. Part of the hobby is painting and modelling, if it weren't we would all be playing 'Warhammer 40k Sprue Wars'.

I tend to be slow with painting but even I can make a little progress each week, as it happens most clubs I have been to insist on a certain level of painted progress with your army too. If it is that unreasonable then just play somewhere else and avoid the rule completely.

·
Miniature's Surgeon
881 Posts
Can understand wanting to show of the merchandise. But not nice to expect/demand people to work how they want it. Aren't there enough rules with just playing the game? An advantage to grey plastic models (no paint at all) is you get to truely see the model - Perhaps not so for game use). But what after the easy paint stages each whenever? Detailing/ finishing off takes a lot longer to complete and dramatic detailed differences are harder to notice.
So if GW are that bothered by it, why don't they offer a 'drop of paint' shop. If you don't have time, they paint it for you. Also then they can moan less about sloppy paintwork. Or offer a 'stand-in' for when someone has a grey model and wants to play. The stand-in would be the shops own finished model (hopefully the same as the one just bought). Kinda encourages the player too as they're playing with what could become their model. At least I would in my shop. wink wink. And if someone like Gal walked in with one of his puppies. He be shocked if I gave/told/commission etc to get additional 2 done. Why? MKI, MKII (product), MKII painted. Now I'm sure that would please him and customers with how they would like to be treated.

·
Registered
825 Posts
1: it just looks nice. don't forget you are playing in a store and that stores primary concern is getting people enthused about the hobby. Fully painted armies just look better.

2: it gives people something to talk about "how did you paint x" "what are you painting next" "I like what you've done with y" not just the staff but the other guys you are playing with. We're all hobbyists at the end of the day.

3: the tables and gaming areas we supply we do supply you for free. it's not too much to ask that you abide by a couple of rules is it?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
(your 16, what possible life could you have besides masturbating and applying spot cream??)

I don't care what anyone says, this is a good point. I mean, yes there's homework and school, but other than that you have nothing to do. In fact, +rep for Stella.

Anywhoo, in our store they have an up-stairs room for gaming, and a downstairs one for selling and painting. Maybe that's why they don't have this rule.

Actually, I would like this rule implemented. It looks a bit odd when my boys fully in blue are fighting some boys fully in black spray.

·
Registered
825 Posts
it's rare that it gets "enforced" (which is a pretty strong word for it really)

I'll occasionally nudge the guys who've not done much to their armies for a couple of weeks towards the paint station:biggrin: and for the most part they understand why the rule is there.

Also, if we give you a painting prod everynow and then, you get your whole army done, you get to play in events like the Great Devourer since you need a fully painted army there anyway. One of our guys (notorious for his non-painting really) bashed out 2000 points of vampires this month for just that reason. Doing it week by week for progression (and yes, probably a little less Whizzwang shaped hassle) actually helped him.

We're not here to be dictators of your hobby. We'd jsut like it if you mnade the place look nice :so_happy:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The sooner they can see you have a painted model, they can try and sell you something else.....
You don't have to paint your whole army all in one go, I suggest that you just need to divide your time up and paint when you want to..or when you can.
LadyDusty

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Right, i have a few things to say on this topic, and others that have cropped up.

It certainly isn't a bad rule. From a plurality of perspectives, this holds true. Most of the supportive posts above make excellent points, but i would add to the discourse.

GW staff aren't just trying to sell you stuff (i speak for the majority of UK GW staff). They are (or at least the training tells them this) promoting the hobby. Which means not just putting stuff together and smacking it on the table, its about creating rounded hobbyists, who not only participate in all 3 aspects of the hobby (gaming, building, painting) but actively enjoy each.

By gently nudging you towards painting more, they not only have a nicer looking store that is more encouraging to beginners, but believe it or not, you will like your army more! Your painting will improve, and when it does you'll start to enjoy it more.

We implemented this just before i left bromley, and it proved to be a storming success. Youre now not allowed in the Bromley gaming room without a fully painted army. This means that upstairs they always have a jam packed room of fully painted armies on fully painted terrain! awesome.

From their perspective as well, they not only have better hobbyists, but paint pot sales soared!

On the other OT point, if (like the ork guy offered guard) youre pestered too much tell the manager. He doesnt want unhappy customers, and will rein in the guy. That said, i've found that by being a regular at a workshop, the guys get used to you and your tastes. I rarely feel like any Croydon staffer is ever trying to sell me something. we chat about the new stuff they gauge my reaction and might suggest stuff accordingly...

so, thats what i have to say about that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
OP's situation is exactly why I love my gaming club so much! They don't care about the lack of paint on any models. For BIG and SPECIAL things, like tournaments they enforce the 3-color minimum rule, but other than that? Not much really.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts