Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hello AoD,

Your painting has improved, I can see it in your last couple pics! Well done! Your questions about the flamers is quit easy really, I included a pic if your interested. First paint the end with gold, then wash it was badab black. Then follow up about 3/4 of the way up with asumen blue and levithan purple wash. Finally top it off with devlan mud and or a lighter coat of badab black again and walaa.

Hope that helps and keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Celestia's starting to look pretty good.

If I may though...

Well, it's just one man's opinion, but I cannot see the sun Princes as light-skinned. Luna? You'd better bet she is pale, but not Celestia. Consider giving her brown skin...

As for her cutie mark. Perhaps if you put a layer of greenstuff over her right spaulder to smooth it off that'd be a good place to paint her cutie mark on?

Finally - her eyes are... er, a little bit crazy-looking. I'm damned if I know how to fix that, but it is worth mentioning. (The model itself has closed eyes).

Oh, finally, finally, if you're wondering which model to use as Luna, how about this one?

She's got that suitably dark 'n' creepy vibe to her and the empty left hand is an ideal place to add a gun or some such.

I got mine from here.

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
On the first point thanks XD

As for skin tone, I would agree that maybe a tanned color might be appropriate but two things put me to where I am now. As a 'space marine' her skin would resist being tanned lol. Also Celestia is a white Alicorn lol so i debated on it and decided to leave her fair.

I agree on the eyes and i thought about just closing them when i noticed they were probably closed. But this way...she is staring into your soul and judging [email protected][email protected]

For Luna I have on order a Terminator Chaplain that I will convert with a few things into her. That model is a nice one and if i do a 'out of armor' version then ill consider it quite a bit lol.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
As a 'space marine' her skin would resist being tanned lol.
I'm no expert on Astartes, but I had apprehended that, amongst their enhancements was skin which almost-instantly adapts to radiation of all kinds, including tanning to counter sunburn and skin cancer?

In any event, I wasn't suggesting a suntan, I was suggesting a naturally dark skin tone - but we each of us have to follow our own hearts and yours says white pony=caucasian human, and I can respect that.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I figured you'd like that. ;-)

honestly, coat colors aside, I always felt humanoid depictions of Luna should be pale and Tia should be tannned...I mean, Luna never comes out during the day and is a goddess of the pale silver moon, meanwhile Celestia controls the golden sun and is out in the day soaking up the rays

Plus it gives better contrast against their armor colors

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
You get the same effect from just having their armor the right color.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think it's fine, but if you want to darken the skin, have you considering using one of the flesh washes? One or two (and probably not any more) washes, letting dry between, would probably work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We'll see. I asked AoD about using allies and he considering having his 597th Valhallans supported by these Pony Marines.
Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF EQUESTRIAAAA!!!

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
lol well it would work out since he has been known to deal with whoever is needed to survive (aside tyranids and the green glow and chaos of course) so a strange chapter of marines is nothing lol. He was with the reclaimers and they are a (techmarine) style space marine group.

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Well now comes the time for an update that is overdue once more =.= i seem to be bad at this whole keeping schedules. I make no excuses, i put my effort into doing the guards and in all honesty they were harder than i thought. The paint job was supposed to be simple but then it felt to simple and i started messing around with some colors.

I decided since there are both white and 'grey' color unicorn and pegasus guards that I would do half/half of each set to make them work. So for the unicorn set i started with I made it like that tho the banner isn't finished yet. I do need to do some wash adjustments but for the most part i got the color scale i wanted.

I am worried that the white doesn't detail well and its why i started to add colors in to try and fix it. I am avoiding using the washes heavily but it might come to that.

For some reason the picture will not rotate. But this is a close up image. (and I just noticed the spot on the handle >_< cursed thing).

My emperor's champion who will become the captain of the Honor Guard is also just needing paint which I ran out of primer and have to get some more.

In the mean time I have a few shots of the next project once these are done.

Introducing Reclusiarch Nightmare Moon!

I used a Terminator Chaplain and added the Scourge wings and a chaos lord cloak to give it the appropriate feel.

I do have to fix the terminator crux as i forgot to remove it before i put the things on it. I dont look forward to having to do that but I feel it should be done to add the green stuffed cutie mark. Granted it will be the same one i have to do on the regular chaplain that will be Luna.

Any comment and critic is welcome and if there are any good ideas on dealing with the guard in particular please feel free to share.

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
So I am not on time as usual with this one XD (no surprise) but I have been working on Shining armor since I had him painted up and Luna (Nightmare moon's) Terminator cutie mark is giving me trouble I needed a break. I did learn that shining armor's color pallet is way worse than twilight. I have gotten to a point with him and need a bit of help to get to the end. Soooo

This shot in particular is of what will be matched to his mane color. I used a white base and used Asurman blue wash over the white to get the one on the left. The darker color is shadow grey.

The effect i was going for is this.

A few more shots of the rest of the model.

The last shot it seems for some reason the color's have blended in the shot. Im still working on those before i do the mark and the finer details. Any suggestions on color scheme's or if it looks right as is are welcome and hoped for.

Also at the same time as I am prepping for a possible upcoming game for them. With that in mind i have a few shots of things that have jumped up in the list of things working on.

The party cannon going under construction.

Also headed to the painting shop before it can be wired up to play its music is Pinkie's drop pod!

I do plan to add some designs on its exterior. Maybe some streamers hanging off it and a few other bits.

I hope to have some table shots of the game to post!

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
LMAO, sweet! I cannot wait to see the results, man.

PS, I always read your posts in fluttershy's voice because of the avatar.

·
Registered
650 Posts
AoD, im not sure exactly what it is about your models, but parts of them look awsome, like the honour guard, but others look Meh, particularly on the yellow, maybe a sepia wash or a glaze of Lamenters yellow? Just never looks right. Other than that of all looks good. Doesn't mean I won't report you to the inquisition for heresy.... But hey were all heretics here

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #219 (Edited)
@Galahad: That is ....um very good! XD Maybe i need to start working on the fluff to this chapter and all the fun that will bring!

@Lethiathan: If you mean on the Emperor champion, thats not yellow thats Shining Gold lol. It might be the lighting emphasizing the yellow in the gold but dunno. I could give it a wash to dim it a bit but i think that might hurt some of the color choice. As for reporting me, they have to catch me first! muahahaha *lightning flashes*

Also on an edit side note I will probably be using Icy blue for Shining Armor's light blue hair piece lol. just wanted to add that before i forget

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not on the emporers champion, on models in general, like on the chest piece of the honour guard.

201 - 220 of 243 Posts