Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I've watched to see what was being talked about. It's not for me, just a little too sugary, but other cartoons aimed at a younger, maybe female demographic have been enjoyable to me, and if it makes you happy, that's always great. AS to the kill team figures, Amazing! Great job.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Nobody follows a cartoon religiously.
Man I feel like an ass saying this Serpion5 so I apologize in advance. Sadly I can name at least three people I know off the top of my head who are religiously following carton. They are mainly Animaniacs I grant you but still. they eat, sleep, breath, and pray cartoons(I believe the word is Otaku?)

I've also tracked down numerous old Disney films like The Lion King and The Black Cauldron, I've obtained Looney Tunes and Nickelodeon tv series and I still enjoy most of them when the mood strikes.
Yes, and that's why you get a high five :victory: . However the question I would pose to you here is how often do you watch them? Are you married and have kids as well?

The mentality that it HAS to happen is half the problem with people who insist on deriding people like bronies
This is true, though no ones deriding Bronies. It's just the terminology is strange to people. For example I've heard people say they have a problem with Gay "Marriage," but rename it something like Union or Zion, or what-have-you and they would be fine with it all. Same thing here, people are unsettled a little by the Brony name dude. It's anti-Man culture which as most of us know dominates the U.S "Bro" culture.

originally intended by it's creator for parents to be watched with their children.
If you didn't notice Apfeljunge I've been making that point. The show was designed for Families and Children, but Families falls under child category. How many Disney attractions say "Family Oriented" instead of Child Oriented? Many of them; I believe it sells better or maybe has better appeal because now you have all the family paying into it instead of just the children. Money Maker :read:

Besides having watched a good many episodes I don't see where you, and others, find a mature and adult sense theme or story line. That's like looking into at Barney and saying it has designs for adults because it brings morality and good judgement into the mix. With all respect Apel, I don;t see your point; neither do I agree with it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Getting back on topic it would be interesting to see a SM Kill Team colored with the MLP color scheme. It would be a change to the dark and drabby colors of conventional armies :)

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
This is true, though no ones deriding Bronies. It's just the terminology is strange to people. For example I've heard people say they have a problem with Gay "Marriage," but rename it something like Union or Zion, or what-have-you and they would be fine with it all. Same thing here, people are unsettled a little by the Brony name dude. It's anti-Man culture which as most of us know dominates the U.S "Bro" culture.
No, Zion is already pretty heavily in use. It's defined as such:

Zi·on (z
n) also Si·on (s
n)n.1. a. The historic land of Israel as a symbol of the Jewish people.
b. The Jewish people; Israel.

2. A place or religious community regarded as sacredly devoted to God.
3. An idealized, harmonious community; utopia.

And I use it as a handle, not because I'm Jewish but because I slapped the letter Z in front of the word Ion when naming a forum RP character some 14 years ago or so. I've just kept it since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you didn't notice Apfeljunge I've been making that point. The show was designed for Families and Children, but Families falls under child category. How many Disney attractions say "Family Oriented" instead of Child Oriented? Many of them; I believe it sells better or maybe has better appeal because now you have all the family paying into it instead of just the children. Money Maker :read:
But there is a big difference between saying something is family orientated (read: for children; but parents are expected to come along) and actually trying to appeal to adults as well (like Pixar or, as I am arguing FiM). I know enough about Lauren Faust's other work and what she said in interviews about what she tried to archive with the show that I have no reason to think this is just some PR bullshit)

Besides having watched a good many episodes I don't see where you, and others, find a mature and adult sense theme or story line. That's like looking into at Barney and saying it has designs for adults because it brings morality and good judgement into the mix. With all respect Apel, I don;t see your point; neither do I agree with it.
There are a lot of examples for that:

Though many episodes are more or less stand alone, there is lots and lots of continuity and sometimes even season spanning archs.

many pop culture references in dialog and background animation. Those obviously fly over the heads of most children.

The characters and the challenges they face are quite mature. they are not adult in the sense of being inappropriate for children but they are serious and mostly deal with typical problems a 16 to 25 year old would have.

Just being curious here: Have you seen the episodes "Party of One" and "Lesson Zero". Both must be quite disturbing for younger watchers and comparing a show with episodes like that with something like Barney is insulting really.

I think though that this is indeed quite off topic now so maybe we should continue this in a brony related thread in the Off Topic section.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Just because people aren;t punching eachother doesn;t mean there isn;t a complex story and theme at play...and just because people are punching eachother doesn;t mean it;s complex or mature.

Seriously, with the exception of some noteworthy episodes of B:TAS, most superhero shows consist of badguy with hairbrained scheme, hero arrives, beats him up, wins. Super mature complex plot.

I'm not saying every episode of FIM is deep or mature, but it's on par with most superhero shows...and though it's more socially accepted (now) for adults to be into superhero shows, that doesn't mean that they're the target audience. The target of a superhero cartoon is young boys. Adults and girls watch it too and nobody thinks it's weird, but they are not the majority audience.

And there was a time when adults who watched superhero cartoons were considered weird and creepy.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
Rest assured, Galahad, we'll always think you're "weird and creepy" :wink:...

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
LOL, fair enough, so long as it's not just for the ponies.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
:shok: :shok: :shok: OMG MontytheMighty.........what have you done :shok: :shok: :shok:

Sorry Zion, no offense meant. Now you make me feel mean. I'm just reciting a popular arguement many of my freinds here have. It's quite the talk across New England.

But there is a big difference between saying something is family orientated (read: for children; but parents are expected to come along) and actually trying to appeal to adults as well
See I unfortuantly do not see the difference. I have found many times that Parents tend to accept, and even come to like watching little kid shows not only in the interest of spending time with there children but also because it becomes part of there daily routine. In a sense, brainwashing. When Basic Training Recruits in the Army(as I once was) go week after week eating MRE's, getting 4 hrs of sleep, and kissing dirt you come to accept these things and look for the positive things in them. Similar.

Just because people aren;t punching eachother doesn;t mean there isn;t a complex story
Oh Galahad....if only I could tell you some of my life stories they'd contradict this. :no: . But if anything when people are punching each other it means there is something more complex ahahah :giggle:

81 - 90 of 90 Posts