Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
people are always trying to think of a good reason why their armies are fighting each other in campaigns. every one knows a good campaign is one with a good back story to why those forces are there.

So anyway yesterday i came up with an idea that i think is brilliant, however you guys may have a very different opinion.it probably has some aspects of it that may or may not be something that could happen in the 41st millennium. I need some opinions on you fluff junkies who can really give me an idea on how i can improve it

so here it is

The planet Renergex is a large Desert world in the realm of Ultramar; it is a world where a valuable mineral is mined from beneath the baking sands of its deserts. It is a very important mineral, and the Imperium pays extremely well for shipments of it.

This mineral is called Aurest; it is mined and sent in large quantities to Terra. There it is liquidized and is added to a number of other key ingredients to form a type of fuel, which in turn is pumped into the golden throne itself. The bio-fuel acts as a stimulant to improve the Emperor-corpse’s longevity and his psychic war against Chaos. The bio-fuel is not a necessary procedure; however, without it the Emperor’s psychic power will very slowly deteriorate. This will cause more and more daemonic incursions to occur and they will get bigger every time.

This mineral, is one of many essential ingredients that can delay this from happening. Unfortunately Aurest is only available from one planet; Renergex. Although it is a renewable resource and as long as Renergex is in the hands of the Ultramarines, the imperium can hope to decay a little longer.
The imperium has tried to clone this mineral but it is not as powerful as the original and so it was essential that Renergex had the best Defences the imperium can offer. Huge blocks of orbital plates lined with weapons of nearly every kind, line the skies above. The PDF of Renergex gets the best training from the sons of Guilliman themselves; thousands of loyal soldiers are raised ready to defend their home planet with their very lives. The Naval fleet of Renergex nearly matches those of the Space marines in size and power. All this, Renergex can afford easily with its affluence

It is a very wealthy planet and there are many families that own Aurest Mining rigs, these families live in large, expensive cities for the rich, while the thousands of poor are the miners, the farmers and the soldiers that keep Renergex together. However by imperial standards they are not as poor as they think. The poor are actually as rich as the Imperium’s standard noble, but, by comparison to the inhabitants of the super-rich cities, they are poverty made manifest. That is how much the Imperium is willing to pay for this mineral.

All these factors make Renergex a very appealing target for the enemies of mankind if they found out how much this planet is worth. For this reason Marneus Calgar pledged an oath to the Adeptus Terra that he would guard this planet with every last Astartes under his command and his own life. Several other Imperial Guard Armies and Spacemarine Chapters have declared the same. For it would eventually become the downfall of mankind if this planet was taken

So there it is, my idea for a good vs bad campaign scenario. All you have to do is add you armies to it

For example, a good reason why............ is fighting there, is because.............

Imperial forces_____________________They are protecting the planet

Chaos forces_______________________They want to cause major Daemonic incursions

Orks_______________________A giant Gun-toting planet filled with millions of . defences is irresistible to an Ork warlord to engage

Tyranids___________________the mineral is a feast in their eyes

Tau_________________________They want the mineral to improve their Technology

Eldar_________________________They want to prevent a daemonic incursion

Dark Eldar________________________The planet is rich with wealth, a perfect raid target

Necrons____________________________They could have a tomb world uncovered beneath

Give us your thoughts herectics

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It is not a bad idea, and with some work you may even be able to start a In-House campaign with this content.

At my Game Shop we usually have a campaign running over the course of 6-8 months that is left to the players to battle it out. The background story is developed by the Game Master as the battles take place, but it is the fact that the players have the freedom to choose when and where they fight that makes it very popular. Inshort you only have to complete a set number of battles IOT be included in the final Campaign (which is usually a Tournement Day held once in summer and once in winter).

You may be able to try this if you participate at a local store; maybe even raise money for Charity. Talk to the Store owner and see what can be done :)

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
1. Ultramar is a defined realm with a specific number of planets, all of which have been named. The "Five Hundred Worlds" referenced in recent Horus Heresy novels do not exist as a whole realm anymore. Perhaps the planet in question borders Ultramar?

2. I'd avoid the whole "miners as rich as nobles" bit. It's contrasts very jarringly against the rest of the Imperium, and to no obvious benefit.

3. Chaos forces always want to cause an incursion. What is it about this world that makes it special, though? Is there a trapped greater daemon, whose essence makes this mineral so very potent (incidentally, that could be your Inquisition tie-in, right there)? Is there some dark artifact buried deep in one of the mines?

4. Do Tyranids go after minerals? I'm fairly sure it's bio-forms that they are after. That's easily fixed, though. There doesn't appear to be an overriding need for this planet to be covered by deserts.

5. This ties in to #1. Tau engage in calculated, slow, and deliberate phases of expansion. Them invading Ultramar would be a pivotal event.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I would drop the bit about it being fuel for the GT and move the planet like Phoebus said.

EDIT: I realy doubt the 'poor' would be rich, maybe they don't starve.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I think that you'd need to move the world into the edges of the eye of terror. A break in the warp storms near the Cadian gate reveals a lost Forge World with ancient imperial markings, deposits of ancient warp crystals perfect for conversion into spirit stones, the shrine of St. Mikaela of the Sororitas, and this once-imperial world is the fabled origin of a notable bio-fuel that makes promethium look like candle wax. That sort of a world would attract all sorts of folk to "liberate" it from the "enemy"

So there it is, my idea for a good vs bad campaign scenario. All you have to do is add you armies to it

For example, a good reason why............ is fighting there, is because.............

Space marines of all types________They must reclaim this ancient forge world for the Astartes as it was a home world of a lost chapter of Ultramarines

Adepta Sororitas________________Rescue the holy relics from the shrine, and cleanse the holy site.

Grey Knights___________________An Ancient Grand Master fought the Legions of Chaos here, and fell unlamented and unburied. Find his armor, and redeem it for the vaults under Titan

Imperial guard__________________Reclaim the World for the Governor of Cadia

Chaos Deamons_________________Even though the warp has pulled back from this world, it was once in the demon realm, and may portals exist to invade through to pull it back into the daemonic realms

Chaos Marines__________________They need materiel for their Forges, and the Ancient Enemy is here, he must be exterminated.

Orks___________________________The WAAAGH is heading for Cadia, when this immense treasure planet appears.

Tyranids___________________The planet's bio-fuel and warp-tainted plant life calls to the Hive mind through the warp.

Tau_________________________An expedition using a new skipwarp technology has ended up near the Cadian gate. They need the fuel to replenish their skip-warp engine to ever make it home.

Eldar_________________________They want to close the many gates, and gather spirit stone to replenish their stock

Dark Eldar________________________An ancient webway portal has opened up, and the tales tell of relics of great power remaining in the ghostly towers of the abandoned citadels.

Necrons____________________________The old "it's a tomb world" is good, but you could also have one of the ancient generation ships be in orbit around the planet, with the weird warp time stream having it arrive just as the storm abates.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I disagree, he could make another campaign like that, but I think it's fine in the general location its at now.

EDIT: One critic is why would the crons send a ship to the eldar's heartland, you could have a recently awoken necron explorer/scientist wishes to investigate an anomaly.

EDIT: One more the eye is REALY far for the tau and nids to travel without sustaining damage.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
About the "heart of the eldar land". They were having a war, you would send an invasion force into the eldar heartland during a war.

The eye is a focus for warp gates and such sucking forced from far away into it.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
About the "heart of the eldar land". They were having a war, you would send an invasion force into the eldar heartland during a war.

The eye is a focus for warp gates and such sucking forced from far away into it.
I thought you were talking about a settlement force, invasion force is understandable, so it was sent before the crons breached the webway.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i thought it might be stupid and unrealistic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts