Discussion Starter #1
I took mech tau with the following

2 x shas'el fireknife
2x 2 fireknife with shield drones
2x 8 fw in warfish
2 broadsides with shiled drones
Ionhead
Railhead

My first game i was drawn against tau, and as we got our armies out the first thing that struck us was that we had painted our armies in the same colourscheme, :) Also there were alot of similarities in the list, however he seem to have much more to his army than me. When we exchanged lists it was obvious why, as he hadn't added any upgrades to his tanks, very little to his suits[no team leaders etc] no shield drones.
The game was cleanse and escalation, which suited me well as all my mobilty allowed me to come on wherever i wanted to bring my force to bear, and stopped my skimmers taking damage early. This table only had a little terrain compared to others so escalation helped me loads. By the end of the game he had a firewarrior squad above half strength that had hidden in his far corner behind a hill, and i'd only just got into range with my sms, plus a broadside in combat with 16 firewarriors :)
Very nice guy, and i really enjoyed the game.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Game 2 and i got drawn against Allen El-Sour's Chaos marines. Looking at his army I new i'd get smashed, and some early mistakes by me, really narrowed my chances quite significantly. Namely moving broadsides out into the open. his lash princes coming on the sides meant he lashed me easily and i found it difficult to keep my army hidden. I took down one prince, but the other survived what i threw on it and i even managed to wound it in cc with some crisis :). Took out the termies but they took too long to take down and the 6 oblits bullied anything that was left in the open[or pulled into the open. Turn 6 i had my hammerheads on two loot counters and fw's on another, and managed to kill his vindicator that had been holding and objective which may have given me the win. We rolled another turn and hammerhead 1 is destroyed and he takes the objective possibly a draw. We roll another turn and he destroys another hammerhead and takes another objective. win to him

Totalling the Vp's he hadn't won by as much as i had thought he would have, and prehaps if i hadn't made early mistakes and basically discounted my own chances then i could have done better and gave him a game of it. As it was he deserved the win.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ha, i forgot to abuse you about your list at the weekend as its nearly identical to the one i played you with at the final :victory::grin:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, not quite, no stealths, no skyray, can't really remember your army exactly but did you have shield drones with your crisis? didn't you also have single suits that deepstruck, or was that shas'el? I had an Ion head too?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my third game was another Tau army, this time used by jimmy from flameon. No escalation this time vs a list pretty similar to mine with same hvy support, 2 kroot units over a warfish and only 1 hq? but more suits, no drones and a piranah.
He gets first turn, but fails to do any damage, as i'd set up with everything out of los, and 2 sms got into range. My turn and i take snipey shots, keeping los restricted and punishing kroot with sms. Most of his tanks are at least stunned, so each turn i get to do damage to him without taking much in return. second turn i disenmbark some firewarriors and combine fire from them, 2 devilfish and broadside sms try to take out his piranah so i can target the shas'el using it to stop me firing at him. In the end my hammerhead had to get involved to take out the IC but parking up right behind him and giving him a Railgun shit from close range. He'd chosen to ds his suits, so he went with the first unit right next to my broadsides and behind my tanks, he scattered four inches right into the broadsides wiping out 3 suits. With the second unit he decided not to try and tempt fate and went with a safer drop between my crisis and shas'el on the left flank. They landed safely, and got backed up by by a warfish that speed forward and emptied its cargo of firewarriors onto a hill, giving the Fw's the perfect place to rapid fire into the suits, and shas'el that were using them as cover. I think his fire took out a crisis unit plus drones? but i managed to pretty much wipe out the suits with my return fire and my shas'el shot up the fw's and charged them in cc.
jimmy's broadsides were giving me alot of trouble, using a hill and downed tank as cover, i was following them around and laying down masses of fire at them from devilfish and sms. For a few turns our broadsides exchanged fire with each other doing very little, and it wasn't till i got some fw's and a shas'el in on the action that i managed to take them out. Ended the game with some suits and both hammerheads in his deployment and having taken very little damage in return, giving me a massacre. Another great opponent, and enjoyable game.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the 2nd day and after finding out my table I sat down early and Chatted with my opponent. Things were looking good as he seemed like a nice guy. How wrong could i be. He moaned constantly throughout the game at his poor luck, like 2 railguns immobilising a penitant engine in the first turn, failing 2 3+ saves out of 7 dice[typical of my luck he said] sat with his arms crossed as i rolled my dice and asked him to make 7 saves and just said yeah whatever.....no mate you do actually have to roll them. He didn't know the rules very well, and one turn he asked me to scatter my devilfish???? i carried on moving. "no you need to scatter your devilfish first". I laugh it off, thinking its some weird joke. "it was a plasma pistol i shot at you last turn, so you have to scatter your devilfish d6 inch's" WTF??? Are you serious i ask......yes......its not a rule mate, here, theres my rulebook take a look. I finish my movement. "they must have changed the rules he says". Throughout the game he would roll dice without bothering to say what for. He rolls a dice, gets a 6. My character is back to life, she had bionics. I ask that in future he makes sure its clear why he's rolling dice. So he engages my fw's in cc killing two. I remove both guys in B2b and flee 7". he consolidates away from me. Next turn i pass moral and go to rapidfire his character.
Yeah whatever, he says. Whats wrong with that i ask. Oh nothing you do whatever. No i saw whats wrong with it. " i just think its a bit dubious that you can rapidfire at someone who you fell back from last turn". I offered to show him the rule, and he said no he thinks its a shit rule. I said they are the rules and he said the 40k rules are shit.
Next he tries to cheat twice in 1 turn. I fire at a charcacter causing a would with a missile pod and a wound with plasma. I then go to fire again and remember his character is T3 so should have been instant killed. He says "i hoped you wouldn't notice"
Then he tries to use the same faith power twice in a row, i said i thought you could only use each power once per turn. He says you can use it as many times and you like, so i ask to see his army book. He then says why, ive told you how it works. I say that i haven't played sisters before so just wants to check so then he says oh yeah your right.
In the two minutes silence the guy kept asking for his army list, i just ignored him and the guy on the table next to us loudly said Excuse me making him look a twat.

In short i was glad to totally butcher him, and get all my scoring units in the center losing only a 5 firewarriors and a devilfish.

In short, in case you hadn't guess this guy was a Twat

·
Registered
269 Posts
So the 2nd day and after finding out my table I sat down early and Chatted with my opponent. Things were looking good as he seemed like a nice guy. How wrong could i be. He moaned constantly throughout the game at his poor luck, like 2 railguns immobilising a penitant engine in the first turn, failing 2 3+ saves out of 7 dice[typical of my luck he said] sat with his arms crossed as i rolled my dice and asked him to make 7 saves and just said yeah whatever.....no mate you do actually have to roll them. He didn't know the rules very well, and one turn he asked me to scatter my devilfish???? i carried on moving. "no you need to scatter your devilfish first". I laugh it off, thinking its some weird joke. "it was a plasma pistol i shot at you last turn, so you have to scatter your devilfish d6 inch's" WTF??? Are you serious i ask......yes......its not a rule mate, here, theres my rulebook take a look. I finish my movement. "they must have changed the rules he says". Throughout the game he would roll dice without bothering to say what for. He rolls a dice, gets a 6. My character is back to life, she had bionics. I ask that in future he makes sure its clear why he's rolling dice. So he engages my fw's in cc killing two. I remove both guys in B2b and flee 7". he consolidates away from me. Next turn i pass moral and go to rapidfire his character.
Yeah whatever, he says. Whats wrong with that i ask. Oh nothing you do whatever. No i saw whats wrong with it. " i just think its a bit dubious that you can rapidfire at someone who you fell back from last turn". I offered to show him the rule, and he said no he thinks its a shit rule. I said they are the rules and he said the 40k rules are shit.
Next he tries to cheat twice in 1 turn. I fire at a charcacter causing a would with a missile pod and a wound with plasma. I then go to fire again and remember his character is T3 so should have been instant killed. He says "i hoped you wouldn't notice"
Then he tries to use the same faith power twice in a row, i said i thought you could only use each power once per turn. He says you can use it as many times and you like, so i ask to see his army book. He then says why, ive told you how it works. I say that i haven't played sisters before so just wants to check so then he says oh yeah your right.
In the two minutes silence the guy kept asking for his army list, i just ignored him and the guy on the table next to us loudly said Excuse me making him look a twat.

In short i was glad to totally butcher him, and get all my scoring units in the center losing only a 5 firewarriors and a devilfish.

In short, in case you hadn't guess this guy was a Twat

Wow thats really bad. what place did he finish?

·
Registered
333 Posts
failing 2 3+ saves out of 7 dice[typical of my luck he said]
What, being approximately average? Has he never figured out probability?:grin:

Sounds like an all round gimp. Not observing the 2-minutes silence when everyone else around you is (its not like he didn't know) is shockingly bad behaviour.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sounds like the sisters player I played round 5, did he have two penitents an Exorcist, Callidus, mostly Mech?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats the guy, total gimp.

My game 5 luckily was much better, with probably the most enjoyable game of the gt for me. I recieved a total kicking from necrons, commanded by the amiable Mark[will insert name when i find my results sheet] who finished the tourney in 4th place.

I knew the game would be very very hard for me, with lots of destroyers and the way the terrain was i knew he would be able to get angles on my tanks quite easily, and necrons are rarely a good match up for tau. I decided to go balls out, rather than try to sneak in a minor win. My first turn saw me do the necron destroyer lord 3 wounds with the ion cannon, but non of them stuck, and the few other models i managed to drop WBB-ed so i'd actually done no damage at all :( His first turn saw my hammerhead stunned, so far i'd gotten off lightly. I pumped some more shots into his destroyers and heavy destroyers but nothing stuck again. Next in comes the monolith ds-ing into the middle of my army, and starting to take its toll with the gauss arc. where suddenly the wraiths and his lord jetted through straight into my broadsides. i took down a wraith in cc with the broadsides :) and lost my shield drones yeeeehaaa. It was now or never as my suits started to arrive in drabs, ds-ing into not the greatest positions in the world. the rest of my army went for the heavy destroyers, with everything i had i just managed to take all 4 down. Again his return fire crippled me some more. Next turn i go all out at the destroyers, and take down a whole unit. They promptly get back up joing another squad, so now i have a squad of 7 destroyers going about gunning my army to pieces. there are some desperate moments and my suits end up in cc with warriors. at the end of the game i'm left with 8 fw's.
Mark was a really friendly chap, who played very much in the spirit of the game rather than by the rules of the game, even if it affacted himself. Really enjoyed it and would take another kicking from him any time

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
That last game against the Necrons looked kinda frustrating for you... glad to hear that Mark made up for it with his personal game play. Good game.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah it was a fun game, wouldn't say it was frustrating, thats just the way of 40k, some match ups are hard, others you don't get the luck, and sometimes you get out played.

Game 6 and i had dan[again will add full name later] Commanding ork's. He was another nice guy, who kindly explained alot about the orks as we went along, as it was only my 2nd game vs orks in 16 years of gaming. The table was pretty packed with terrain, which dan thought would help him out, i was pretty confident too with all the sms and los blocking terrain. We needed to get to each others deployment, whilst i only had my broadsides deploying at the starting, i let him take first turn and the green tide spilt forwards.
I was actually playing on the table next to longbeard, who i'd just like to point out was a very sporting chap. He explained to his opp about the whole stupid coming on from the board edge during escalation thing, as he was about to throw his destroyers down the flank. Letting him change his mind as his assault elements would have come on and bang dead destroyers. Very sporting in my eyes. nod of respect to longbeard.
Anyway first few turns not much of mine turned up, whilst most of his turned up and he began the slog forwards. My shooting seemed to do very little at first, i think killing about 4 orks in 2 turns. However then the cavalry arrived and my sms and suits began to inflict a toll on the greenies. I could have gone up the far flank with my whole army, using my range to inflict damage whist taking non in return, but i wanted to go for the big win so instead most of it came down my right flank to support the braodsides and begin to take down the enemy numbers. I managed to keep his bassie from firing for most of the game and even though i pen-ed with railguns 3+ times and a few ion cannon hits as well i only managed to immobilse it, which it kept having repaired. There was a hairy turn when due to some sneaky mobbing up meant alot of his boyz made it into combat. Lucky it was only against my skimmer tanks, and he didn't manage to do anything to them. The stormboyz 12" assault move took them into a unit of fw's and they managed to hold there own quite well, drawing 2 rounds of cc vs orks. I was pretty proud of the boys. I think it was around turn 4 that my opp realised he wasn't going to win, and by turn 6 he only really had 2 squads left, a couple of nobz and a truck, plus the immobilised bassie. Also virtually all my army that could score had moved into his deployment. we rolled for random game length and the game ended with me having lost 8 firewarriors and won by over 2000 vps. i think one more turn would have been a wipe out, but i'm glad it ended there as i didn't really wanna put dan through any more. He seemed a little down towards the end of the game, as me beating him put him out of qualification. to be fair i think his only chance in the game would have been to just go for objectives, as he had so many models i may have struggled a bit, but i think the result would have been the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts