Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a strange urge to buy and paint a model as I was walking past my local GW.
The next thing I knew, I was walking out of the store with the sexy new Ahriman model. Now, as I haven't painted anything in over a decade, nor do I intend on collecting any armies, I really didn't want to have to shell out big money on the overly expensive GW range of paints. As I paint a lot anyway and have a reasonable selection of artists acrylics at home, I decided to those. I had read on forums that normal artists acrylics work fine on miniatures.

Well...they don't. I need to apply at least 2 coats to get anywhere near a decent pigment and even with a primer the paint just slides off. My acrylics are not high end, but they are certainly not cheap either. They're a good standard acrylic with a good pigment. Why they come out so poorly on the model is beyond me.

So right now Ahriman is still mostly sprued up and primed and it will likely stay that way until I either buy new paints or find a way to make my acrylics work. :-(

Also, I have decided to go for a slightly different colour scheme with him, which is made all the more difficult by this paint issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah I have tried out various different paints on GW miniatures, but for some reason the standard GW paints work so much better on them. I gave up after trying to paint a heldrake, it just took far too long.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you post a pic of your WIP we (the various membership of Heresy) may be able to help out. A total problem to one might have been encountered and sorted out by another; for example one look and I would likely know exactly how much you thin your paints if that were an issue. It took my years to actually thin my paints down enough and apply (at times) several coats to achieve a smooth finish despite reading it over and over on forums and in tutorials. Some paints like water for that, some like another medium for that application (for example, GW's Lahmian Medium) that doesn't dilute the pigment of the paint but still allows it to run smoother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts