Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this little chaos marine is ready to burn the emperor's lapdogs with his flamer.

He definitely looks better in person (metal trim is less silver/white and more iron coloured) and up close painting errors are much easier to see (off to neaten him up now :grin: ). But on the whole I am fairly proud how he turned out for my first, just a few things I need some help on.
1) How do people here use decals? Getting it to lie flat was a huge issue on the curved shoulder pad.
2) I painted on my black base primer instead of spraying, is there any real disadvantage aside from time to doing this?
Any other comments or advice would also be welcome.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Welcome to Heresy! :drinks:

1) How do people here use decals? Getting it to lie flat was a huge issue on the curved shoulder pad.
I don't, because of what you have observed here. Currently building up the steadiness of hand required to freehand shoulder/knee pad markings.

2) I painted on my black base primer instead of spraying, is there any real disadvantage aside from time to doing this?
Time is a massive element for this. I typically go one step further and use either Army Painter or car primer colours that are my armour colour to spray on. Red basecoat spray can save a lot of time and effort getting a nice red coat.

Some things I took on at this stage of painting were to fully clean mould lines off the model with the back of my knife, and to really try taking my time going back over little spots where one colour bleeds over to a spot where it shouldn't be. The more I found I worked at steadying my hand the better I got at it, now I rarely have to go back over stuff unless it's uselessly fiddly.

All in all great first effort, my first tries at model painting were utter crap.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey there @flow that looks great for a first model.

Just as an FYI, there's something funky with your photo links, they don't work through the Tapatalk app. I thought I had a fix but it didn't seem to work either.

To your questions:

1) I only use decals where it makes sense. Getting them to work on shoulders can be tough, on banners or the sides of vehicles can be much easier.

2) Is there a real difference with primer? Yes and no. I've been painting miniatures for more than 20 years and I spray prime with pretty much any colour (usually black, white, or gray) then I hand paint on a black undercoat. I typically use a mix of black (e.g. abaddon black), black wash (e.g. nuln oil), and a little water. I do this because it gives me a lot more control over thicknesses and coverage. The other question is what kind of model is it? Often plastic and resin models need to be washed with warm soapy water to remove the oily mold-release compound. If this isn't done the paint may rub, chip, or flake off easily.

I also work this way because the pigments and binders are much finer in aerosol primers. Hand priming without an spray coat also often adheres less well.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Looking good so far mate, keep it up :good:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts