Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So until now, the last time I painted anything was a small Iron Warriors army that I sold on ebay 6 years ago, and it wasn't too bad.

Since then, this is the first squad I've completed.. tell me what ya think! They were started as emperor's children a few years ago, then I reprimed them (mistake! now they're grainy) and went for a word bearer's scheme. I learned quite a few new techniques with these chaos marines.

First up:
Champion - Tried airbrushing the plasma pistol glow on, sort of worked.
Two Heads - First attempt at wet blending and it turned out pretty good.

Here is my favorite model of the squad, the heavy weapon. Made from an IG stubber and chaos bits, the ammo belt is out of green stuff.
On the meltagun, airbrushing worked better for the burnt effect.

These are two standard marines, but were the first ones I finished. Turned out well enough to inspire me to keep going. Horns were done with more wet blending and brown lines with a very tiny brush. They eyeball on one skull was fun.

Last pair: More wet blending on the skull shoulder (just noticed i must have flicked a spot of black wash on it.. damn!). The other guy's head is from the hero's quest board game if anybody remembers that. Chest wound is more green stuff.

Last is a shot of the hand painted word bearer emblems. At first I used transfers to no avail, and then micro-pen which rubbed off with a single wash. Really happy with them. Background is a wetblend sunburst shape, then the skulls in black, and then flame-like edging which I decided to leave in black.

What did I learn?
1. Don't reprime.. ugg.
2. I like wetblending! Just gotta get better at it now.
3. Washes are awesome. I "rediscovered" them after meticulously hand painting the black shadow on the armor of a few guys. Wayyyy faster to do a magic wash.
Mix water 1:1 with pledge floor finish and add a dab of the color you want, presto! It sucks the paint right down to the crevices.
4. Vallejo paints rock.. this set is 2 years old and still works.
5. I'm re-addicted to painting.

Thanks for reading!
~ Jayeldog

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I like, these are really good. I look at the t sons i just painted and feel jealous. I am really impressed with the autocannon link belt.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Nice models, they look good as a unit and I don't think the re-prime hurts them that much really.

3. Washes are awesome. I "rediscovered" them after meticulously hand painting the black shadow on the armor of a few guys. Wayyyy faster to do a magic wash.
Mix water 1:1 with pledge floor finish and add a dab of the color you want, presto! It sucks the paint right down to the crevices.
You should do a tutorial on this if you get a chance, sounds interesting :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback guys :victory: Good to get the opinions of fellow painters.

The bases are carved up balsa wood. For the magic wash stuff, if no one else has done a tutorial on it yet I'll try and make one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2nd batch of word bearers is almost finished. All that's left is the champion's backpack and I'd like to dirty the flamer nozzle up, then seal them all.

These were originally on a tile/brick floor I tried out, but didn't like the result, so they are now on bases that match the original squad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts