Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to try fantasy with the new rules out and so i went out and got some skaven:biggrin:this is what i have so far

hero:Deathmaster Snikch

core:unit or 20 clanrats
standard
spears and shields
clawleader
musician

I need help with what i should get next.:eek:k:

·
Registered
885 Posts
You need a lot of models to play Skaven and it depends on what points level you want to play. A battalion box is a good choice and the Island of Blood starter set will give you a lot of stuff to work with. Go on E-bay and see if you can buy some used stuff for cheap (haven't looked at Skaven lately and suspect a lot of people will be playing it, so may not be so cheap). While I support local stores some, I buy a lot on E-bay and via Internet sites with significant discounts (no sales taxes).

Clanrats and slaves (clanrat models stripped down) are the core and are cheap, so you need a lot of them. For 2500 point battles, don't be surprised if you need 200 clanrat and slave models. With strength in numbers rules (ranks increase leadership) and steadfast for having more ranks, clanrats and slaves will be run in larger units with a lot of ranks (some run narrow units in a "conga" line very deep in ranks, some run 5 ranks by 10 wide with spears for the extra ranks of supporting attacks). Minimize on or skip getting night runners and storm vermin (maybe only one unit with the grey seer and bell). Some like giant rats with packmasters, but they maybe work in one modest sized unit as a flanking unit; they will get a lot of attacks with special rules for packmasters and rats but are too easily killed with magic and shooting and in combat, possibly run with a Master Moulder in the unit.

Plague monks are a good choice for special troops for one unit, esepcially for a magic banner like the storm banner. Look at getting models for a gutter runner unit or two (small, like 6 per unit and 2 units) for coming into the battle on turn two or three to go after enemy war machines and vulnerble stuff in their rear.

A grey seer on a bell is a good choice for a lvl 4 hero, general and stuff. You need a lvl 4 caster for magic offense and defense in 8th edition. The bell gives a valuable ward save and has some utility. Also look at getting some chieftans for cheap heroes and engineers for cheap heroes and lvl 2 wizards. Maybe try one plague priest with a plague furnace to run with one unit of plague monks as an eventual option. I would not recommend assassins. You need a good general, like a grey seer on a bell within a clanrat unit with ranks for 18" LD 10 portection for the units and a solid battle standard bearer hidden and/or well protected.

The clanrats and plague monks and slaves are the hordes, but Skaven often wins with magic and rare slots. The hellpit abmonation must be constructed (no GW model; we used rat ogres and plague furnace parts) and is the best unit you will have and can be run with two in 8th edition (although many will complain that is unfair). Warplightning cannons are a bit random (all skaven shooting is) but are necessary to take out big targets with lucky shots (one killed my hydra on turn one a few weeks ago) and can decimate a unit with a good artillery roll. Also doomwheels are well worth taking. So, there are three rare choices that should be considered and maximized to mix with the massed units.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that helped a lot

Yeah i knew i was going to need a bunch of clanrats and slaves.But how many should i put in a rank and how many down?
About the Bell and grey seer i was gonna keep things small for my first few games so i dont think ill need the bell at the momment so what should i take as my general?I was thinking a Plague preist in a unit of clanrats if that would work,since i have a close combat hero:dunno:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My favourite thing to have as my general is low points is a Plague Priest with Flail and 4++ ward, but if there's one thing that Skaven love is hiding, due to the ability to refuse a challenge and still use Ld bonuses and things it is a good idea just to have a cheap Cheiftain if you don't want to spend the points. Yet another but, and this is a big one, smart players won't declare a challenge so will just kill the Chieftain unless he's protected. I prefer the Plague Priest overall, but remember you can be dirty and put Headtaker in 1000pts :) Just remember, a Skaven army neeeeeds a BSB, as once a Skaven runs, don't expect them back any time soon.

Generally I would have just 5 wide, as Clanrats don't do much killing, and normally 6 back for Clanrats and 8 back for Slaves. I do love the 5 by 10 Slave unit that pins their hardest unit in place as you have Ld10 with re-roll, if you have the general and a BSB within 12" :) Also remember weapon teams, they are the reason I take Clanrats, most of them are good and you can see the entire argument about them somewhere on the tactics page.Also I do now take a nice unit of 4 rat ogres to help out a Clanrat unit that I want to win so you get a bit more Combat Res :)

All in all, numbers are the key to Skaven, but don't take them to the downfall of everything else...

Happy Hunting :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts