Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm not new to the 40k word I have been commissioning for many year but I have never played a proper game in my life...
I am going to take a plunge into the gaming side of 40k and have started building a fluffy Raven Guard list, I am not going to make it too competitive but I don't want to get destroyed every time so please give me some tips to a newbie, here goes...

HQ
Chaplain (jump pack)

Troops
x10 tac sqd (sgt. power fist, flamer, heavy bolter) all inside a rhino
x6 tac sqd (melta gun, sgt storm bolter) all inside a razor back with lascannons
x5 scouts (all with snipers, cloaks and a tele homer) all inside a Landspeeder Storm

Elites
Vanguard Vets (x2 lightening claws, x3 hammer & shield)
Venerable Dread (assault Cannon, powerfist with flamer)

Fast
x7 Assault (flamer, plasma pistol, sgt power sword and shield) Chaplain attached to this squad
* landspeeder (m.melta... see comments below)

Heavy
3x Centurion (all with lascannons, missiles and omni)

*that's 1425ish points without the landspeeder, I added it in to get the 1500 points, I'm open for other options...

what do you think for my first attempt?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ok I'm not new to the 40k word I have been commissioning for many year
HQ
Chaplain (jump pack)why not use shrike??

Troops
x10 tac sqd (sgt. power fist, flamer, heavy bolter) all inside a rhinoi would drop the powerfist..its kinda wasted points hell get challanged and die.
x6 tac sqd (melta gun, sgt storm bolter) all inside a razor back with lascannonsit looks like this is for anti mech? if so why not swap for sternguard.give you more options as well.
x5 scouts (all with snipers, cloaks and a tele homer) all inside a Landspeeder Stormwhy give them a speeder if your giving them sniper rifles? you want them stationary to use the rifles.

Elites
Vanguard Vets (x2 lightening claws, x3 hammer & shield)expensive unit not sure if theyll get their points back.
Venerable Dread (assault Cannon, powerfist with flamer)id give him a pod wioht this set up

Fast
x7 Assault (flamer, plasma pistol, sgt power sword and shield) Chaplain attached to this squad
* landspeeder (m.melta... see comments below)hmm not really sure on this one, i would put the chaplin on the vets.

Heavy
3x Centurion (all with lascannons, missiles and omni)no comment yet..still play yesting myself

*that's 1425ish points without the landspeeder, I added it in to get the 1500 points, I'm open for other options...

what do you think for my first attempt?
i think you have a list that is a bit all over the place..i can kinda see what you trying to achieve..but maybe re think some of the squads.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, these are my theories as a newbie

Shrike is to costly but I have considered using him

I agree with all troop comments, the reason behind the speeder for snipers is for quick objective movement later in a game (that's why i added a tele homer for reserve support), I originally equipped them with shotguns, maybe that makes more sense?

I wanted the vanguards as i wanted a fluffy list but adding the chaplain does make more sense.

Drop pod for the dreadnought is a great idea though :)

I wanted a assault army with a few heavy choices for anti armour

Thanks for the tips, I will take them on board

·
Registered
275 Posts
also reread the rules for teleport homer. you cant use it the way youre wanting to.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
+as for the centurions,, im looking at running with 2 grav cannons and 1 lasconn, or visa versa, your list doest really have much in the way of dealing with MC. so maybe look ate changinng the loadout a bit...again im still testing myself

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, I've cone up with a new list, I've ditched the centurions and added terminators, also I've removed storm shields and hammers and with the spare points added a naked stormtalon, keeping it raven themed. I've taken the advice with drop pods and re-read the rules, I now have 1500pts I'm happy with, I'm just worried of my lack of troop choice...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also removed some upgrades and added a whirlwind, don't ask...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HQ
Chaplain (jump pack)

Troops
x10 tac sqd (veteran sgt, flamer, heavy bolter) all inside a rhino
x6 tac sqd (melta gun) all inside a razor back with lascannons
x5 scouts (all with snipers, cloaks)

Elites
Vanguard Vets (x5 lightening claws)
Venerable Dread (assault Cannon, powerfist with storm bolter, inside drop pod)
Terminators (assault cannon, sgt with power sword)

Fast
x7 Assault (flamer, plasma pistol, sgt power sword and shield and melta bomb)
Stormtalon (naked)

Heavy
Whirlwind (naked)

new list...

·
Registered
107 Posts
The second list is a lot better; more models and a bit more focused.

It really depends on what models you have because they cost a sh*t load to buy, but I be inclined to focus more on 1/2 things and then pick a set of rules like:

-I think BA rules almost work better then the new SM rules as assault squads are troops and vehicles are fast;
- if like your vehicles then use Iron hands maybe and focus that way
- want to scout then maybe raven guard but do you then need the transports and ............

Who CANNOT benefit from Strike from the Shadows?
Vehicles, Artillery, Bikes/Assault Bikes, Walkers, Centurions, Jump/Jet pack equipped units and Terminators.

So terminators don't seem to fit and get shrike to scout/infiltrate some jump packs. otherwise you have three squad who do not benefit from the chapter trait

no one loves whirlwinds as most would take 2 preds/storms over term and whirl, but if it dies you aren't really losing much

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going for a mix of everything with that list, the theory was using the rhino and razor for keeping troop choices alive a bit longer meaning i didn't have to waste points on more troop choices, the assault marines was mainly for the fluff of things as they were the firs models i bought but i thought would tie units up in CC or at least draw fire. Then i just added as many hard hitting CC units, shooty units as i could with the remaining points and tried getting some AA and armoured vehicles in to cover all possibilities.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Who CANNOT benefit from Strike from the Shadows? Vehicles, Artillery, Bikes/Assault Bikes, Walkers, Centurions, Jump/Jet pack equipped units and Terminators.
Why can't bikes benefit? The BRB doesn't say anything about them being bulky or very bulky. I've been using ICs on bikes in Assault Squads to confer scouts to the whole squad and support it with a DP Dread and Tacticals in Rhinos (who can also scout, move, then disembark for a 30 inch move). The tactical loadout I've been using has been with a Heavy Flamer/Meltagun/Combi-whatever. It makes a fun alpha strike army. Shrike is still crap through. Ally in BA to really boost the scoring units.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why i put the 10 man squad in a rhino and the 6 man squad in a razor to give them a bit of survivability, who needs scoring units anyway when you decimate all :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took that from another site; aren't they bulky or something.

Anyway yeah get shrike and a full assault squad, up the tact squad to 10 and drop the term's because they don't really fit

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK now I've had a time to look at rules and the codex I have come up with my final list, I have renamed the army Imperial Ravens and will use the Raven Guard chapter tactics...

HQ Points
Chaplain
jump pack

TROOP
x10 TacSwd
x1 Flamer
x1 Hvy Bolter
Inside Rhino

x6 Tac Sqd
x1 melta gun
Razor twin las

x5 Scouts
x5 sniper
x5 cloak

ELITE
Dreadnought
venerable
flamer on fist
assault cann.
drop pod

x5 Vanguard
x5 Jump Pk
x5 Claws
Sgt. Melta Bomb
HQ attached

FAST
Assault Squad
x2 additional
plasma pist.
flamer
sgt. power wep.
sgt. Comb Shield
Sgt. Melta Bomb

Stormtalon
Skyhammer Miss.

HEAVY
Fire Raptor (forge world)

Total 1498

·
Fallen One
41 Posts
"Edit: Additionally, PLEASE do not post itemized points costs for your units.
Posting the cost of the unit as a total is fine, but breaking down the points cost for every single model and upgrade is not just unnecessary, but it also puts us on thin ice with GW legal, who take a dim view of people making it so others don't need to buy their books. It also takes up a bunch more space and contributes nothing that your prospective readers don't already know. If you think someone needs to know how much your basic troops cost, you probably don't want their opinion on your list to begin with. "

1 - 18 of 18 Posts