1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ (155pts)

Archon (155pts)
Fleet, Independent Character, Night Vision, Power from Pain
Combat Drugs (10pts), Ghostplate Armour (10pts), Huskblade (35pts), Plasma Grenades, Shadow field (30pts), Soul-trap (10pts), Splinter Pistol

Troops (689pts)

Kabalite Warriors (165pts)
Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain
10x Kabalite Warrior (90pts)
10x Splinter Rifle
Venom (75pts)
Flickerfield, Nightshield (10pts), Splinter Cannon (10pts)

Wracks (Troops) (105pts)
Altered Physique, Night Vision, Power from Pain
3x Wracks (30pts)
Venom (75pts)
Night Vision

Wracks (Troops) (105pts)
3x Wracks (30pts)
Venom (75pts)
Night Vision

Wyches (157pts)
Dodge, Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain
Venom (75pts)
Wych with Wych Weapon (22pts)
Haywire grenades (2pts), Hydra Gauntlets (10pts), Plasma Grenades
5x Wyches (60pts)
5x Haywire grenades (10pts), 5x Plasma Grenades, 5x Splinter Pistol and Close Combat Weapon

Wyches (157pts)
Venom (75pts)
5x Wyches (60pts)
5x Haywire grenades (10pts), 5x Plasma Grenades, 5x Splinter Pistol and Close Combat Weapon
Fast Attack (156pts)

Reaver Jetbikes (78pts)
Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain, Skilled Riders
Heat Lance (12pts), 3x Jetbikes (66pts)

Reaver Jetbikes (78pts)
Heavy Support (250pts)

Ravager (125pts)
Aerial Assault, Night Vision
Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Flickerfield (10pts), Nightshield (10pts)

Ravager (125pts)

Thoughts on this list is much appreciated. Im new to 40k so looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Built it in Battlescribe and got no errors. Im just now reading the Codex for DE. I did not know there was an appropriate HQ in order to use Wracks. What is the appropriate HQ? What would be a good replacement unit.?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need to use a haemonculus to take them as troops. As for replacements you have 2 choices warriors or wyches.

The 10 man warrior squads you have also need to either be split into separate groups of 5 to fit in venoms or you need to mount them in raiders

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill have to see if I can replace the HQ out and still be under the 1250 mark. I figured those warriors would have to be split into groups of 5, was hoping not though as Ill have to buy 1 more venom(damn you GW) or would it be better to just mount them in a Raider?

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I'm home later today and get on the pc ill give you a rundown of your list what could change etc. Its not gospel and the list if tweaked will work but ill just throw some ideas your way

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not home at my PC and cant access BS right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Tactics for the list as well. Im new to 40k so...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, someone has to say this: wyches suck. They are pretty hot chicks, so it's not so bad, but still, they suck. They cost more than a warrior an will do nothing, especially in groups of 5...then, i'd remove flickerfields on every vehicle since you will always want to move, thus gaining a 5+ cover save.
About venoms, they are the competitive set. you can have working lists even with raiders if you want. just use disintegrators and rely on the lance power of the ravager.
Also, wracks are just...mmhhh...weak...i suggest you to screw the troop thing and just have 5 of them, sporting a liquefier gun. 60 points for a funny template, is good. mount them with the Archon (for the FnP) in a raider and call it a day.

So i'd say
Archon (as your loadout)
5 wracks, liquefier gun
Raider, disintegrator

5 warriors, blaster
Venom, extra cannon

5 warriors, blaster
Venom, extra cannon

5 witches, haywyre granades
venom, extra cannon

10 warriors, splinter cannon
Raider, disintegrator

3 bikers, heatlance

3 bikers, heatlance

2 Ravagers, full lances, nightshields

Lots of scoring, lots of Vp 2, lots of antitank, lots of poison. The list should even be under 1250...

·
Registered
813 Posts
It might be worth pointing out for future reference, but you can't buy two dedicated transports (venoms) for a single squad and split it between them. Or at least, that's how I'm reading the responses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HQ (155pts)

Archon (155pts)
Fleet, Independent Character, Night Vision, Power from Pain
Combat Drugs (10pts), Ghostplate Armour (10pts), Huskblade (35pts), Plasma Grenades, Shadow field (30pts), Soul-trap (10pts), Splinter Pistol

Not bad but a lot spent for not a lot. Some people swear by ghostplate armour but i`m not a huge fan myself

Troops (689pts)

Kabalite Warriors (165pts)
Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain
10x Kabalite Warrior (90pts)
10x Splinter Rifle
Venom (75pts)

Keep your warriors as cheap as you can and obviously youd need either a raider for 10 or 2 venoms

Wracks (Troops) (105pts)
3x Wracks (30pts)
Venom (75pts)
Night Vision

Wracks are good but i`d not take them unless using a coven force

Wracks (Troops) (105pts)
3x Wracks (30pts)
Venom (75pts)
Night Vision

As above

Wyches (157pts)
Venom (75pts)
5x Wyches (60pts)

I like wyches, infact I love wyches and always take two max squads. Some people dislike them but I find great uses for them when they get stuck in

Wyches (157pts)
Venom (75pts)
5x Wyches (60pts)
Fast Attack (156pts)

As above

Reaver Jetbikes (78pts)

Small squads are no use. Go big or go home

Reaver Jetbikes (78pts)
Heavy Support (250pts)

As above

Ravager (125pts)

Keeper but drop the save as its not needed

Ravager (125pts)

As above

Thoughts on this list is much appreciated. Im new to 40k so looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Thoughts in red (hopefully). I took a look at my dex and threw a 1,250pts list together that I would use. Now usually I play 1,850 or above so coming down on points was very strange for me but I took what core force I would take for my sized games and done what I could. The army list I came up with is.

Archon with agonizer, shadow field, webway portal 145
4 incubi in venom with splinter cannons 153

10 kabalite warriors, 1 dark lance 115
10 wyches, razorflails x1, haywire grenades, hekatrix with agonizer 160
10 wyches, hydra gauntlet x1, haywire grenades, hekatrix with agonizer 160

10 hellions, helliarch with agonizer 185
9 reaver jetbikes, cluster caltrops x1 218

Ravager with all dark lances and night shields or flickerfield. Have forgot which one isnt the save. My bad 115

Now thats 3 troops. 1 for objective sitting in your deployment and the 20 wyches coming out the WWP which is how I get best use out of them. Start on the table with the warriors, archon and incubi and the ravager. Shoot up with the archon and pop out the portal and have everything else come on through that.
Use the incubi as additional wounds with a better save if your shadowfield dails and use look out sir also. Thats what I would do personally.

Like I said not many like combat units but mine work for me so I use them a lot and they work. Sometimes its not about the army but the player so just set yourself right. Give the codex and rules a damn good read and get what you want from the units you want and when you go up in points either way you`ll have a solid core to build on.

May be helpful for you may not be but just throwing it in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Id like to know your guys thoughts on why you like or dislike the wynches. I have no XP with them on the table so Id like to get your input.

Also Ive seen posted in other places to take Flickerfields on anything that you can.

Im not sold on Archon as an HQ option, chose him bc he worked into the 1250 I was shooting for. Is there a better HQ option?

Are Mandrakes a good unit? I love the models.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Id like to know your guys thoughts on why you like or dislike the wynches. I have no XP with them on the table so Id like to get your input.

Also Ive seen posted in other places to take Flickerfields on anything that you can.

Im not sold on Archon as an HQ option, chose him bc he worked into the 1250 I was shooting for. Is there a better HQ option?

Are Mandrakes a good unit? I love the models.

Whiches are just bad: they cost 10 points, which is quite steep for a T3, 6+ save model. They will suffer greatly from overwatch: a single flamer is going to blunt your assault, if lucky. Also, they have Str3 and if you reliably want them in cc you have to put them in a vehicle, limiting their number to 10. 10 withces (assuming they all survive the overwatch) are not very scary. pointwise they are the same as 20 guardsman and know what? 20 guardsman will eat you arse, so imagine to pit them vs space marines...no thanks. Also, beside their unreliable cc capability, they do absolutely nothing. Warriors shoot, and have poison. that is agood thing! also they cost less...

About flickerfields: since your vehicles are all skimmers and fast...you will get a 5+ cover for just moving 1". spending points to get a 5+ invulnerable...is just useless. you want to move, always. Only model i'd ever consider to give flickerfields is the razorwing jetfighter. this way you will always be able to claim a 5++ save, without need to sacrifice your offensive capability in order to get a 5+ cover.
Nightshields are another thing, can be useful to get out of harm.

Archon: actually, if you don't want to go special character, they are the cheapest beatsicks in the army. For 125 points you can have a bad guy who can go toe-to-toe with a chaos lord. Otherwise you could go for the cheap-as-hell homunculus. But he is so squishy...also wracks as troops are not so good, but can be fun. haemy is a good way to add another liquefier gun, though.

Mandrakes...god. if wytches suck, mandrakes suck the sucking suck out of them. lots of rules, cool models but in the end no way they can beat even a lighly armored foe: they suffer from overwatch, they are squishy, they lack hitting power, they are not equipped to assault in cover...too many points spent for a liability. You might want to use mandrakes models to represent wracks or wytches, that is all. Trust me, i've never ever saw the critters in any army list. I tryed them out a couple of times and they where butt-kicked by cultists...how fun.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I kinda agree about the flickerfields, except for one point. Against certain armies with an abundance of "Ignores Cover", they could have a reason to be used. However, it's still situational at best.

My opinion on wyches is complicated. I love them, but they just don't have the punch in this edition. A lot of people use small, 5 girl units with haywire grenades for vehicle hunting, and there's arguments for them to be used as a tarpitting squad. As an element to kill other infantry however? They suffer from Ork syndrome, that is, being little more than a delivery system for a sergeant with a special weapon. Except that orks are tougher and cheaper.

Mandrakes are terrible, beautiful models, wonderful fluff, just terribly thought out for anything resembling competitive play. They're only armed with a single close combat weapon, have no option to upgrade except to a sergeant, can't even shoot until they've killed a unit... Yeah, not worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I keep seeing conflicting arguments for or against Wyches. Both valid points for each side of the argument. I'm just now reading the codex and once I get to units I should understand each side. I see a lot of armies utilizing them though.

I looked over Drakes and I have to agree they are useless.

Incubi seem to be a very nice unit to include.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah, you'll always see conflicting arguments, it's all about what works for you, in your local environment. Some units are pretty clear cut about being better than others, while some are more situational. That's just 40k all over.

Incubi are interesting. They're also deceptive. Yes, they have a 3+ save, but they're also only toughness 3. They're expensive, lack assault grenades, lack any realistic ranged attack (bloodstone if you upgrade to a klaivex), and have a nasty habit of over killing their targets, leaving them as sitting ducks waiting to be shot off the board. In other words, they epitomise Dark Eldar and need to be used with finesse.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I see a lot of armies utilizing them though.
Indeed. in friendly play they are a joy to use :) But it has to be reported that, with DE, the only times i lose is when i field a wych cult army. (very similar to the first list you posted)
My meta, at the moment, is Space marines heavy, Ork heavy and some IG. The nude gals never worked for me :( and that is a shame 'cause i LOVE the models and the fluff.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Venom Spam - Wedge as many Venoms as possible into your army list by taking multiple small units (warriors and trueborn usually) to maximise the number of splinter cannon shots (9 venoms, dual splinter cannon, that's 108 shots before the passengers fire)

Beaststar - using a large Beastmaster unit, most often max beast masters with mainly Razorwing Flocks, with some Khymerae for the invulnerable save, generally taken with Baron Sathonyx to give the unit Stealth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Venom Spam - Wedge as many Venoms as possible into your army list by taking multiple small units (warriors and trueborn usually) to maximise the number of splinter cannon shots (9 venoms, dual splinter cannon, that's 108 shots before the passengers fire)

Beaststar - using a large Beastmaster unit, most often max beast masters with mainly Razorwing Flocks, with some Khymerae for the invulnerable save, generally taken with Baron Sathonyx to give the unit Stealth.
WOW 108 shots! I like the idea of that and the speed it brings to the table. Ill have to look more into the Beaststar, sounds interesting though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts