Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing Imperial Guard for a while, but I really love the new Chaos codex, so I have decided to collect an Emperor's children army. I don't suppose that a competitive list can be made with an army dedicated to only one god, but I really want to play with that theme in mind.
On the other hand, I don't want a completely useless army even in friendly games, so I decided to submit a 1500 points list idea here, hoping that you guys could give me suggestions (just remember to keep it Slaaneshi please) It also can give me an idea what models I can buy.

HQ (226pts)
-Chaos Lord
Combi-bolter , Mark of Slaanesh, Sigil of corruption, power armor.

-Sorcerer
Combi-bolter, Mark of Slaanesh, Mastery level 2, Power armor

Elites (492pts)
-Chaos Terminators
4x Terminators with double lightning claws, Icon of excess, Mark of Slaanesh
Terminator champion with lightning claws
Land raider as dedicated transport.

Troops (782pts)
Chaos Space Marines
10x Chaos Marines 2x Melta gun, Rhino

2x Noise Marines
2x Blastmaster, Icon of excess, 10x Noise Marines

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The lure of slaanesh is strong, brother...
I'll try to help you building your path into the Dark Prince lustful embrace.

Let's begin with your submitted list:

The combibolters...no. Really. If for fluff, then ok, otherwise to be removed.

The Sorceror is good as it stand. Cheap way to buff a noise marines squad.

The Lord as it is just lacks any purpose. I'd suggest that you buy for him a Fist and a claw and put him on a steed. that way you can take on any target and you will be able to outflank one of your unit. Wich one? terminators, of course.

Speaking of wich: You stick them to the lord, outflank and tore to pieces everithing. i suggest you to keep a power axe or two in the unit.
I know, wasting the initiave. But how will you react to some nasty 2+ armour stopping you?
remove the landraider, since you are outflanking with the lord.
the land raider is fun. it is good enough and i sometimes use it too. But. Are you really going to spend 50 $ for that thing, useful once in a while, when you can spend the same money for something that is always useful? Meaning an heldrake OR a 5 man strong Biker squad. I'd go for the second.
5 bikers with 2 meltas, a combimelta, meltabombs, mark of slaanesh for the fluff or maybe without. Icon is not needed.

The vanilla marine squad. remove. the rhino. remove. That's why: you have a footslogger army. the rhino is just an easy first blood for the opponent. Plus, you have acces to the best (imo) infantry in the codex. The noise marines. Common marines may go down the warp storm. You can have the freaking Cult of NOISE! :crazy:
The vanilla marine purpose was to hunt armor. they are widely outclassed by the bikers. You need, instead, a close range unit to hold midfield.
8 Noise marines, doom siren, 7 Noise Blasters.
OR
9 noise marines, power sword, doom siren and run screaming ahead (not my favourite)
So this would lead you to:

Lord
Sigils of C.
FistiClaw
Slaanesh Mark
Slaanesh Steed

Sorceror
2nd Level
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Terminators
3 dual claws
1 Power axe and combibolter
mark of slaanesh
Icon of excess
champion with power axe, bolter replaced by a Lightning Claw (the cheap FistiClaw )

5 Bikers
2 meltaguns
1 combimelta
meltabombs
mark of Slaanesh

2 x 10 Noise Marines
2 Blastmaster
Icon of excess

8 Noise Marines
Doom Siren
7 Noise Blasters

And you should have some spare points to play around.

OTHERWISE

If you want to have the land raider and the termins:

Lord
Slaanesh Mark
FistiClaw
Sigils
(145)

Sorceror
2nd level
Sigil of corruption
(unmarked, go for biomancy and try to buff the termins)
(110)

4 Teminators
Slaanesh mark
icon of Excess
3 dual claws
champion with claw & power axe
(220)

Land Raider
Dirge Caster
(carrying the lord, the sorc and the termins)
(235)

5 Bikers
2 Meltaguns
Mark of Slaanesh OR Combimelta (fluffy or more effective?)
(140)

6 x 5 Noise Marines
BlastMaster
(750)

There it is. 1500 pts.
hope this helps.
Glory to Slaanesh!!

EDIT: I have skipped flyers and flyer protection because you have skipped it in the beginning. If your meta is flyer ridden, then much will be changed. Otherwise, if there are none to a couple of flyiers, then you can just ignore them.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
I think with the lists provided above it still lacks long range threat. I say this because all you have right now are Noise marines and if they are suppose to fire all the shots and take the blunt of the opponents army at 1500 you are in for some hurt. I know you have the Bikers and LR but for those kind of points I think Oblits, and maybe a squad of Deep striking Terminators would be better. put a 3 man squad of termies with combi-wepons (really cheap) and then 1-2 squads of Oblits providing cover. I don't know if you have a defense line but that could also come in handy to protect your troops a bit more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your tips.
The vanilla marine squad. remove. the rhino. remove. That's why: you have a footslogger army. the rhino is just an easy first blood for the opponent
Good to know :). With guard putting a suicide melta squad is the most common way... so I guess I put that squad out of old habits. :) Those bikers sound really nice. I don't really need them to be marked (With all those noise Marines around, that seems already Slaaneshi enough ;)).
The combibolters...no. Really. If for fluff, then ok, otherwise to be removed.
I put them simply because I had some spare points and did not know what to do with them.
I really like your first list. These guys are going to do heck of a noise. :D

I think Oblits, and maybe a squad of Deep striking Terminators would be better. put a 3 man squad of termies with combi-wepons (really cheap) and then 1-2 squads of Oblits
I'm not sure about those Oblits. Sure they sound very powerful, but 70 points is quite a lot for a unit with toughness 4. Yeah: they have 2+ saves, but a lucky shot from a plasma gun puts them out of the game. Are they really worth it?
Deep striking terminators? Why not, however what bothers me then, that besides my bikers I would be without anything capable of taking down heavy armor. I wanted to try a land raider or a predator annihilator for that purpose.
On that subject, I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with performance of Chaos tanks, like predators or vindicators?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Ah the Full Laser predator. If well used and given enough cover it can be very annoying. Alongside the landraider you could use one or two Annihilator to get 2000 pts.
in the first list (my preferred too) you could swap the last noise squad for a predator annihilator (140 pts) indeed. BUT.
This would mean the preddy is going to be the only Armor Value model in the army, wich usually means he is pretty much dead, unless you manage to keep it in covered fire lanes, where it can use its firepower and the enemy heavy guns cannot.
In 6th edition you should have noticed that armor is spam or nothing. otherwise it's not so competitive and reliable. (you know, 1st turn blown land raiders and sh..t :suicide:)
plus, this would reduce your troop number. i suggest to read this: http://bds40k.blogspot.it/2012/11/6th-edition-and-chaos-marines.html
its very good a "lecture".
So, for me, 2 strong troops are not an issue.
About the vanilla marines: since I play guard too, i know what you mean, but the suicide unit you speak of is 50 pts cheaper (if not more...)!
With Chaos, only cultits are going to be expendable, and not as a rule.
if you had a non marked lord such as Huron (instead of the slaanesh one), then, normal Chaos Marines would be very useful.
Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure about those Oblits. Sure they sound very powerful, but 70 points is quite a lot for a unit with toughness 4. Yeah: they have 2+ saves, but a lucky shot from a plasma gun puts them out of the game. Are they really worth it?
They get the daemon special rule so they will get 5+ invulns on top of the 2+ armour, their main justification is through their arsenal I would say that justifies the pts cost. They can have so much versatility in their weaponry and can shoot down a multitude of different foes. I have used them bare-bones and they have done some quite successful damage.

They are not everyones cup of tea though (mainly for the issue you bring up) and thats where the suggestion would be from the deep striking termies comes in, giving them combi-meltas would solve your worries over anti-armour in some areas.

I would be quite a strong advocate for the lascannon preds, they have punched quite a hole in some armies in my games, having 3 of them have brought fear into the enemies of chaos :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also like to ask if there is a way to put some cultists into that kind of list, because I wanted to make some conversions of a Slaaneshi cult. Maybe for capturing points? I'm not sure how exactly these guys can be used.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Cultists usually have two purposes: a giant blob with a brutal character inside, to eat wounds for him until he gets into the fray, or as a large backfield objective camper. If you do the latter maybe you can use Sonic Blasters over Blast masters because then you could be moving your Noise Marines forward (although Blastmasters are amazing).

In reference to your early 'Oblits die to plasma' comment, that's not true. with T4 and 2W, they can survive a direct plasma hit. Remember also you can mark them, so you could go 2+/4+ with a MoTz Oblit or T5 with MoN. Just don't bother with MoS, as that does nothing for them. Using Noise Marines as 'havocs' backed up with Oblits are my favorite Heavy Supports.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I would also like to ask if there is a way to put some cultists into that kind of list, because I wanted to make some conversions of a Slaaneshi cult. Maybe for capturing points? I'm not sure how exactly these guys can be used.
In my limited experience, I have only used Cultists for score units. They are fluff, meat, and dying if you look at them wrong.

However, a group of 10-20 cultists still takes some time to get down and are cheap scoring units that can hang back and take some fire in cover if needed.

Slaanesh marks seems like a waste on them though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts