Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to get off my ass and get together a table to use at home. I have been collecting bits and pieces for months now but never put anything together. That changed over the weekend though, as I decided that now that I have pretty much finished my USMC and Brits for Bolt Action, instead of jumping straight into building a German army, I'd actually start on the terrain I'd need to get a game in at home.

First up, a graveyard. The walls are resin from PuppetsWar, and are probably the best quality I've seen, and are dirt cheap compared to others, especially the repackaged plastic ones Warlord have brought out. Currently the pack I used is only €10 or €12. The grave stones are a plastic kit from Renedra, and are very nice, with lots of nice little details, including a crow not pictured that I am saving to use as a totem on a SW rune priest. I will be putting in gravel footpaths in the graveyard, a paved footpath and road running outside the gate, as well as trees running outside the back wall.

I will be picking up a few 4ground buildings in the next while, but in the meantime this old resin one is enough to be getting on with. I'll be adding an outhouse and a few bits to the garden. The place matts I'm using as bases are the perfect size to help keep all the terrain modular, and allow some customisation on the likes of the gardens.

I also have one of these churches on the way from Amera Plastics. At only £10, it's way cheaper than any similar product. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next few days, and I can get started on it.

I hope to keep this updated on a reasonably regular basis, but that is of course dependant on the amount of time and motivation I can muster.

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Intriguing mate, I have been pondering doing the same, starting with a 4x4 board and the another that I place beside it, have started to collect bit of household garbage/odds/ends/general crap to have a go at some terrain. I'll be looking forward to seeing this develope

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Very nice. I shall be shamelessly plagiarising your ideas when it's time to build my own table :good:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Hot damn, those are some nice bits of terrain, bro. They're going to look drop dead gorgeous on the field.

Makes me wish I actually had the time (and the talent) to do up something similar.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys. One of the best things about playing historical games is that the terrain tends to be fantastic, and much more realistic than the few bits of LOS blocking stuff you see on a WFB or 40k table. You can become a town planner, or, like some of the more hardcore hobbiests, find a map if a town that was fought over, and rebuild it on the table top.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Cheers guys. One of the best things about playing historical games is that the terrain tends to be fantastic, and much more realistic than the few bits of LOS blocking stuff you see on a WFB or 40k table. You can become a town planner, or, like some of the more hardcore hobbiests, find a map if a town that was fought over, and rebuild it on the table top.
soon as i read this after seeing the cathedral i immediately thought of St Mere Eglise. That would be a cool town to do this with.

·
8,723 Posts
Yup, I remember going to a games convention donkeys years ago and one of the "show games" was a fucking enormous table with an accurate reconstruction of a portion of Carentan! :shok:

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I set about getting a bit done today, and after laying the path I went to lay down the sod, only to find that I didn't have enough static grass to go around. It's gonna have to wait until next week to complete the putting green I was hoping for.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a bit more done on the grave yard today. Got the road laid out in sand ready to be painted, and finished adding static grass. The three holes in the grass are for some trees that will be the very last thing to go on. I will be using the square green bases in the pic as paving slabs for a foot path. I just need to wait on the post man to bring me more.

I also threw together an orchard, which I am very happy with seeing as it only took about an hour from start to finish.

I also got the house painted for my next piece. I was going to wash the cream, but the idea that it's freshly painted appealed to me more.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers mate. It does look pretty cool with troops on it if I do say so myself.

I should also mention that I bought a hot glue gun yesterday for €10. Why haven't I ever had one before this? The hassle it saves when making terrain is unreal. No more holding shit down waiting on PVA to dry. I got 3 feet of scouring pad hedges put together in about 10 minutes. Great piece of kit.

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Cheers mate. It does look pretty cool with troops on it if I do say so myself.

I should also mention that I bought a hot glue gun yesterday for €10. Why haven't I ever had one before this?.
You must never have done a sniper course lol they are an essential ghillie suit construction tool!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished the graveyard off last night. After re-measuring the road, I scrapped the plan to put in the footpath, because the roads I'll be making will be 4" wide, but the road here was about a half inch off. If I wanted them to marry up nicely the footpath had to go.

Next up, the Amera church.

[/quote]

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got the church finished a while ago, and have just received delivery of the fantastic Puppets War iron fences, which means I can set about getting the church mounted and finished. I seemed to have scored a bargain with the fences. I emailed them and asked if I bought to sets could I swap out some of the heavily sections for undamaged. They said no problem. A box duly arrived with two sets yesterday, but they hadn't swapped out the damaged for undamaged. I was going to email them about returning them, but someone in the warehouse messed up, because today another box came, with another two sets, all of which were undamaged. 4 sets for the price of two. Score!:eek:k:

I'm going to put in the integral road section like I did with the graveyard, and this time I have room for a footpath.

·
8,723 Posts
Looking good! :good:

*drives tank over lawn*

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
*drives tank over lawn*
How's about an IS-2 driving over your lawn?

Got to use this stuff for the first time tonight. Every bit of terrain on the table was made by me, which is a nice feeling. Having seen the church on the table though, I think it might be a bit big for regular play. Still, it was good to get a game on them.

·
8,723 Posts
That's really rather inspiring! :good:

Hey, @Logaan!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts