Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 2 hours of epic strenuous work, i made a giant piece of crap, Lmao.

My first attempt at a building (ruined)

So, obviously Not 100% finished, then needs painting;

but the main reason i need this thread is to ask experts, how to improve my Terrain Building :(
- As you can see, i'm not very good! :(

·
4,491 Posts
Its a good start.:wink:

I usually find that polystyrene isn't a very good foundation for scenery though. While its easy to cut to shape, it is rather fragile, and very brittle.

With a bit of painting though, it will look very nice.
Perhaps add some small details like spare weaponry, icons, or fallen warriors.

If you want a tip, you can buy thin sheets of wood which are perfect for buildings.
If you go to your local hardware store, you can get a board roughly 4ft x 2ft and 5mm (1/5th of an inch) thick, for about $4USD.
The only difficult part is reinforcing the right-angle joins (which isnt too hard if you use your imagination), and the result will be a very sturdy building that can handle being thrown into a box without crumbling to bits.
8 square feet will make you plenty of buildings too, and for 50c per square foot its extremely cheap.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean to say you trust me with a saw? :>

I dont...

i Don't think my dad would either.

but never the less, i shall try next time... I am sadly broke atm... Bought my self a shiny rule book the other day, to replace the rule book that i don't have.

·
4,491 Posts
Id give your building a coat of paint, then see how it looks.
Make sure you dont use spray paint though, certain paints will melt the polystyrene.

A quick coat of grey with something like a bleached bone drybrush and it will look 100 times more impressive.:victory:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely if something is to look MORE impressive... It has to look Impressive from the start? XD

But yeah, when i can be bothered; I doubt i'll use citadel paints tho, barely cover half of it with a 2.25 pot of paint. :| i'll just paint it when i actually start building my table, when i'll have like big hench paint tubs. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I mentioned before the white styrene is quite troublesome to work with and tends to be very soft too, so you can´t throw around your finished buildings as KingOfCheese already mentioned. I prefere foamcore for my buildings as its reasonable sturdy but quite easy to work with. Sure its not as sturdy as a wood construction so you might consider this when planning how you will store yor terrain. If you have plenty of space its no problem, if you have to stack your buildings better go for stability.

As for the paint, use the kind of paint sold in hardware stores to paint e.g.: you livingroom (dispersion paint is the german word). Its reasonable cheap for the amount of paint you get and usually comes in a good colour range that you can mix to your liking and thin down with water.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll fix it in a bit, but its not really worth seeing lmao!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts