Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
As for the posssessed, they have 2 attacks, 5+ invulnerable save and are Daemonkin (which means you get 1 of 6 special rules when you start the game, scouts, furious charge, fleet of foot, rending, feel no pain, or power weapons. All of these things are good, I'd say), so I wouldn't say they are bad. I'm not sure if I want to take 3 obliterators or some havoc marines, since they are much cheaper and could be pretty flexible.
The problem with units of Possessed is that they're not really very reliable. For example, say you buy the unit a Rhino, and end up rolling Scout for your power. All of the sudden that Rhino doesn't really seem to be very helpful, as your Possessed are either far away from it, inside it, or other nonsense.

That being said, I'm the first to admit that the unit has potential. It's just... difficult to have a plan in mind since you don't know what exactly they're doing to be capable of at the start of a game.

Any advice on how to spec the plague marines? Their extra toughness, feel no pain, and blight grenades tend to make me think they deserve flamers and a front lines spot, in between fire support (marines + havocs/obliterators).
A front line spot is ideal for them, but I'd give them plasma guns instead of flamers. Plague Marines are possibly the best unit to hold plasma guns as the chances of Gets Hot! hurting them are very slim since they get to take both their armor and Feel No Pain saves.

The Defiler is meant as a big target to draw some fire from my Daemon Prince who will be flying in to assault my opponents directly. I want to put the possessed and the prince in the middle of combat right away.
The Defiler is probably a good choice for drawing fire away from your Daemon Prince, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't survive for very long. Its armor isn't that great, and with a battle cannon, you can be sure that your opponents will direct a lot of anti-tank firepower its way hoping to remove it as a threat as quickly as possible.

Also, any advice on the tactical uses for terminators? 2+ save sure isnt shabby but I have a hard time seeing where to fit them into my strategy. Also, is the mark of nurgle worthwhile for them, its 10 pts cheaper on terminators and that would jack their toughness up to 5.
The best use for Terminators that I've seen so far is to have them Deep Strike near an Icon to prevent scattering, and then unload with as many combi plasma shots as possible. The ideal unit (in my mind) looks like this.

Chaos Terminators
6 Chaos Terminators
- 5 with combi plasma guns and power weapons
- 1 with heavy flamer and chainfist (consider making this guy an Aspiring Champion for the extra Attack)

This unit will hit like a ton of bricks upon landing, absolutely shredding units of MEQs (and pretty much anything else). Even the toughest Monstrous Creatures will learn to fear so much low AP firepower.

Additionally, this unit also has the ability to go up against large units of lightly armored infantry like Gaunts or Orks. Since you need not worry much about scattering when Deep Striking you can land your Terminators mightly close to the enemy and not have to worry much. Place the model with the heavy flamer in the optimal position and let loose, hitting a half dozen or more models with good template placement. Then you let loose with the rest of the unit, firing your bolters and thinning their numbers even more.

Obviously the chainfist is included to bust open things like Wraithlords or Dreadnoughts that decide to get up close and personal. It's also smart to put it on the model with the heavy flamer, as you don't want a poor Gets Hot! roll killing off your heavy flamer.

Good luck,

Katie D

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Only thing I'd change about the new list is the Terminators. It doesn't look like they can do a whole lot upon landing from Deep Strike, and that's generally the best time for them to make an impact since it's extremely unlikely that they'll lose any models before they get to fire. As it stands, it looks like they'll just land, pop off a few combi bolter shots and then get shoot/chopped to death by a large portion of your enemy's army. Also, if you've taken two lightning claws on your Terminators (I'm not quite sure if you have) then my above point is all the stronger.

Nonetheless, it's a good list. You're well on your way. :so_happy:

Katie D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.