Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my first army, and I've got most of it down, but I'm not sure if I want to take more troops, more terminators, or a second HQ (Chaos Lord) to get to 1500 points.

Current Total: 1,281

HQ Daemon Prince 165
Wings
Mark of Nurgle
Nurgle’s Rot

Troops Space Marines 330
14 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Gun
1 Heavy Bolter
1 Icon of Nurgle

Troops Plague Marines 221
6 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
2 Plasma Guns

Elites Terminators 160
4 Marines
1 Champion

Elites Possessed 175
4 Marines
1 Champion
1 Rhino

Heavy Support Defiler 150

"Fast Attack" Spawn 80
2 Spawn

Tactics: The goal is to put my possessed, spawn, Daemon Prince, and potentially the Defiler (depending on the configuration I decide on for the battle) into the thick of battle. I'm considering putting a few more icons on my troops, the cheaper ones, for deep striking purposes. Anyhow, I get them doing their job, then use the fire support from the marines to do as much damage as possible. I'm also thinking about decreasing the number of marines and adding obliterators, or just adding obliterators instead of a second HQ to get to 1500. I haven't played a game with them yet so we'll see how it shapes up.

·
Registered
800 Posts
by the new codex the possesed arent that good no more ive heard so you might be better off dropping them all together. my new chaos codex comes tomorrow so i cant really give advice till i read it.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if your going to have asp champs then you may as well equip them, i'd suggest powerfists, and in the plague marines plasma pistol.

Put a reaper autocannon in the termies plus as many combi-weapons as possible for ultimare deepstrike punch, or keep them reasonably cheap and go with combat upgrades.

Split the 15 man squad up, i'd max have 10 guys in a squad, then you can get more hvy/special weapons. I'd prob be more in favour of 2 specials and giving them rhinos to get the in close.

Oblits are good, especially when you also have termies as well as it takes the heat off. Alternatively a second defiler could be nasty. Always swap for the 2 extra ccw's on defilers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I didn't want to get into the nitty gritty of war gear just yet, I'm definitely going to be adding some. As for splitting up the marines, my issue is that if I'm spending 50 points for an icon of nurgle I want to get the most out of it. I guess I could split them up, but I'd have to drop something else.

As for the posssessed, they have 2 attacks, 5+ invulnerable save and are Daemonkin (which means you get 1 of 6 special rules when you start the game, scouts, furious charge, fleet of foot, rending, feel no pain, or power weapons. All of these things are good, I'd say), so I wouldn't say they are bad. I'm not sure if I want to take 3 obliterators or some havoc marines, since they are much cheaper and could be pretty flexible.

This is only a preliminary list, and I only have the Daemon Prince, Chaos Marines, and Plague marines purchased.

Any advice on how to spec the plague marines? Their extra toughness, feel no pain, and blight grenades tend to make me think they deserve flamers and a front lines spot, in between fire support (marines + havocs/obliterators). The Defiler is meant as a big target to draw some fire from my Daemon Prince who will be flying in to assault my opponents directly. I want to put the possessed and the prince in the middle of combat right away.

Also, any advice on the tactical uses for terminators? 2+ save sure isnt shabby but I have a hard time seeing where to fit them into my strategy. Also, is the mark of nurgle worthwhile for them, its 10 pts cheaper on terminators and that would jack their toughness up to 5.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
As for the posssessed, they have 2 attacks, 5+ invulnerable save and are Daemonkin (which means you get 1 of 6 special rules when you start the game, scouts, furious charge, fleet of foot, rending, feel no pain, or power weapons. All of these things are good, I'd say), so I wouldn't say they are bad. I'm not sure if I want to take 3 obliterators or some havoc marines, since they are much cheaper and could be pretty flexible.
The problem with units of Possessed is that they're not really very reliable. For example, say you buy the unit a Rhino, and end up rolling Scout for your power. All of the sudden that Rhino doesn't really seem to be very helpful, as your Possessed are either far away from it, inside it, or other nonsense.

That being said, I'm the first to admit that the unit has potential. It's just... difficult to have a plan in mind since you don't know what exactly they're doing to be capable of at the start of a game.

Any advice on how to spec the plague marines? Their extra toughness, feel no pain, and blight grenades tend to make me think they deserve flamers and a front lines spot, in between fire support (marines + havocs/obliterators).
A front line spot is ideal for them, but I'd give them plasma guns instead of flamers. Plague Marines are possibly the best unit to hold plasma guns as the chances of Gets Hot! hurting them are very slim since they get to take both their armor and Feel No Pain saves.

The Defiler is meant as a big target to draw some fire from my Daemon Prince who will be flying in to assault my opponents directly. I want to put the possessed and the prince in the middle of combat right away.
The Defiler is probably a good choice for drawing fire away from your Daemon Prince, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't survive for very long. Its armor isn't that great, and with a battle cannon, you can be sure that your opponents will direct a lot of anti-tank firepower its way hoping to remove it as a threat as quickly as possible.

Also, any advice on the tactical uses for terminators? 2+ save sure isnt shabby but I have a hard time seeing where to fit them into my strategy. Also, is the mark of nurgle worthwhile for them, its 10 pts cheaper on terminators and that would jack their toughness up to 5.
The best use for Terminators that I've seen so far is to have them Deep Strike near an Icon to prevent scattering, and then unload with as many combi plasma shots as possible. The ideal unit (in my mind) looks like this.

Chaos Terminators
6 Chaos Terminators
- 5 with combi plasma guns and power weapons
- 1 with heavy flamer and chainfist (consider making this guy an Aspiring Champion for the extra Attack)

This unit will hit like a ton of bricks upon landing, absolutely shredding units of MEQs (and pretty much anything else). Even the toughest Monstrous Creatures will learn to fear so much low AP firepower.

Additionally, this unit also has the ability to go up against large units of lightly armored infantry like Gaunts or Orks. Since you need not worry much about scattering when Deep Striking you can land your Terminators mightly close to the enemy and not have to worry much. Place the model with the heavy flamer in the optimal position and let loose, hitting a half dozen or more models with good template placement. Then you let loose with the rest of the unit, firing your bolters and thinning their numbers even more.

Obviously the chainfist is included to bust open things like Wraithlords or Dreadnoughts that decide to get up close and personal. It's also smart to put it on the model with the heavy flamer, as you don't want a poor Gets Hot! roll killing off your heavy flamer.

Good luck,

Katie D

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
KD's advice is very good. I have a little to add.

On the subject of flamers, these work fairly badly in the hands of troops with a 6" move. If you think about it, it is unusual to find yourself in a position where you can move forward and flame a lot of a unit but where they didn't charge you on the turn before. Flamers work well if you can move fast, either with bikes, jump packs or a transport, or if you can deep strike. They are especially bad if you want to charge the unit you are flaming, as they tend to cause break tests and your opponent might just remove all the models in charge range as casualties.

Oblitorators are an excellent unit for deep striking in my opinion. A unit of one oblitorator can get up to all sorts of nuisance when it deep strikes since it can choose to have a twin linked flamer, twin linked plasma gun or twin linked melta gun. Alternatively, sometimes you can deep strike it far, far away from the enemy, say into an empty quarter in cleanse or a counter in secure and control, and it can happily sit there shooting a lascannon into the side armour of tanks.

If you had a bunch of nurgle marines and terminators wandering forwards and shooting stuff with plasma then they might suffer from fast stuff that moved around fast and shot them from far away. The oblitorators would provide an ideal bit of utility by either porting in to an icon and giving close support or landing far off and shooting stuff in the sides. Alternatively they can always deploy on the board on turn 1 and advance along with everyone else, firing as they go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've made some revisions:

Current: 1,495
HQ Daemon Prince 165
Wings
Mark of Nurgle
Nurgle’s Rot

Troops Plague Marines 195
4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

Elites Terminators 210
4 Marines
1 Champion
5 Lightning Claws

Elites Possessed 180
4 Marines
1 Champion
1 Icon of Chaos Glory
1 Rhino

Heavy Support Chaos Havocs 170
4 Marines
4 Plasma Guns
Mark of Nurgle

Fast Attack Spawn 80
2 Spawn

·
Registered
428 Posts
2nd List looks good for the most part. I would drop the rhino from the possesed in case you roll scout or flight for their power. Give the rhino to one of the squads with an icon. SHoot the rhino forward 12" in turn 1 and pop smoke. Pray for a 4+ at the start of turn 2 and drop the termi's 6" from your enemy. :laugh: Then the fun begins!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think that the second list is a flexible list, a few alterations here and there depending on your opponent. Like mggtymouze said, drop the rhino for the possesed and give it to another squad or pimp out a squad some more.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm going to use a unit of 8 possed in my khorne and on paper they are effective even if they get the scouts rule they just get closer to the enemy quicker. When I double up with a guy in my gaming group who is going to do slannesh we've got a plan to use that psychic lash and move a valuable and high points enemy unit closer to my army so they can be swamped by beserkers, a daemon prince, Lord, and raptors. Whenwe double up the possed unit will be 18 men strong so thats a total of 55 attacks just from the possee with what ever skill they get (praying for power weapon). And seeing my partner will have to models that can use the lash I will be charging in turn one!! I'm definitely pro possed

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Only thing I'd change about the new list is the Terminators. It doesn't look like they can do a whole lot upon landing from Deep Strike, and that's generally the best time for them to make an impact since it's extremely unlikely that they'll lose any models before they get to fire. As it stands, it looks like they'll just land, pop off a few combi bolter shots and then get shoot/chopped to death by a large portion of your enemy's army. Also, if you've taken two lightning claws on your Terminators (I'm not quite sure if you have) then my above point is all the stronger.

Nonetheless, it's a good list. You're well on your way. :so_happy:

Katie D

·
Registered
134 Posts
2nd list looks pretty good. I think possessed are a bit of a lottery personally and would suggest you drop them for a unit of chosen. 6 Marines with 2 melta, 2 plasma and icon of glory would still leave you with a few points over, remembering that they'll be able to infiltrate in 2/3rds of games they also give an excellent deep strike option for your terminators.
As Katie said, if the terminators deep strike you really want them putting out fire power when they land. An icon Tzeentch on these guys really helps them out if they gat assaulted (4+ inv save).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the entire army is assembled, though not painted. 8 of the 15 plague marines are standard csm models, so I'm going to put some time in with greenstuff nurgling them up a bit. I managed to make 7 plasma guns, since as luck would have it the sprues I got came with a limited number. I did have enough plasma pistols thankfully. I also put together 8 lightning claws from scratch this evening, since my terminator lord came with one pair and I needed more.

I'm not sure when I'll be priming and painting, the semester just ended so I have a lot of free time now, but I've fatigued myself a bit with the amount of work I've put in the last week. We'll see how long it is before I'm actually out using the army, I still need to get used to the rules after all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not putting any of the lesser god's marks on my nurgle army ;)

But after I field this army a few times more I'll see how I feel, I have 17 unused csm from the buying spree I went on, giving me room to make changes/grow in the future. for now though I'd like to keep the possessed in my army. If they repeatedly fail me, I'll certainly smite them. Half of the motivation of my list, admittedly, was financial, since I was buying the large pack that came with the defiler and possessed and spawn I sought to use them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've made some revisions:

Current: 1,495
HQ Daemon Prince 165
Wings
Mark of Nurgle
Nurgle’s Rot

4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

4 Marines
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Power Weapon
1 Plasma Pistol
1 Personal Icon
2 Plasma Guns

Elites Terminators 210
4 Marines
1 Champion
5 Lightning Claws

Elites Possessed 180
4 Marines
1 Champion
1 Icon of Chaos Glory
1 Rhino

Heavy Support Chaos Havocs 170
4 Marines
4 Plasma Guns
Mark of Nurgle

Fast Attack Spawn 80
2 Spawn

i have a suggestion: instead of using havocs, i would use those models as chosen. this way, if you give them an icon of any type, you can deep strike the terminators right by them instead of waiting for a rhino with a squad to move up the table. also, you can have the same number of plasma guns in that unit... and later on, if you decide to expand on the army, the possessed are a great platform for daemon summoning since they infiltrate (just add a champion model, and get a greater daemon).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'm definitely thinking forward to deploying Greater Daemons, one of the benefits of smaller squads i guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts