Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't played a single game in my life, but my friends have got me interested and I'm trying to create an ork army. I haven't bought anything yet but here are my thoughts.

HQ
  • WarBoss - PowerKlaw, kombi-weapon(skorcha), boss pole, 'eavy armor
  • Big Mek - Kustom Force Field, Eavy armor
Elite
  • Lootas(10)
  • Lootas(10)
Troops
  • Ork Boyz(30)- nob, PowerKlaw, boss pole
  • Ork Boyz(30)- nob, PowerKlaw, boss pole
Fast
  • DeffKoptas(2) - 2 buzzsaw, 2 TL Rokkit Launchas
  • DeffKoptas(2) - 2 buzzsaw, 2 TL Rokkit Launchas
Heavy
  • Killa Kanz(3) - 2 Rokkit Launcha, 1 Grotzooka

It seems really low on troops and I feel like I might be over exaggerating the threat of vehicles; does having the Deffkoptas, killa kanz AND lootas seem like over kill? I could always take out all the deffkoptas in favor of another squad of boyz and still have points left over for armor plating on all the killa kanz or a squad of 16 grotz (with their runtherd). I'm also unsure if I should field boyz with shootas or sluggas/choppas

·
Registered
670 Posts
Warboss needs cybork body switching with eavy armour so you get a invulnerable save. After that the boss is solid. Same applies to the big mek.

Actually, the warboss doesn't serve much purpose in this list. I'd be tempted to get another big mek so you can divide your force and not have it bunched up. For a first timer list it's very impressive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just not a Waagh if there isn't a warboss leading the charge (you know, behind the killa canz). That said, I was thinking something with more troops might be better than the extra deffkoptas (which I'm largely taking for anti tank, which I think is covered already).

HQ
  • WarBoss - PowerKlaw, kombi-weapon(skorcha), Boss Pole, Cybork Body
  • Big Mek - Kustom Force Field, Boss Pole, Cybork Body
Elite
  • Lootas(10)
  • Lootas(10)
Troops
  • Ork Boyz(30)- nob, PowerKlaw
  • Ork Boyz(30)- nob, PowerKlaw
  • Ork Boyz(30)- nob, PowerKlaw, Boss Pole
  • Gretchin(19)- Rutherd
Heavy

I'm aware two boyz units don't have boss poles; those two units will have the HQ units attached and they do have boss poles.

Basically what I'd like to know three things. Do the DeffKoptas from the original list seem like over kill if they're only use is tank hunting? Should I sac the DeffKoptas in favor of more boyz and the gretchin squad (mobile cover in case my lootas get flanked), or go with some more smash face with 8 or so nobs? lastly, given this force will be dredging across the field at 12" a turn at most, should I take shootas or stick with slugga/choppa

Oh and thanks for the suggestion of two big mek's. Regardless of what I said, I'm certainly taking it into consideration.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well the warboss as zip to your army and is just another close combat unit. So I wouldn't worry about background and make a more survivable army list and have a big mek following instead :)

I'd get some dethkopters if you can for alpha strikes and tying up annoying units. Lootas are cracking anti tank and anti troop units. You only need 3 dethkopters though, one per fast attack slot ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally, I would go with shootas over sluggas, with 90 boyz on the table you don't really need the extra attack (With Boyz having two standard) but even SM will cringe at the firepower you can rain down on them. I would suggest the second KFF mek also, they are cheaper and you can really maximise your spacing then.

This is a nice, simple and solid list very good for a first time. The bonus of having two big meks means if you go to 2k pts, then you get two Deff Dreads as troops also, which is always a bonus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright well thanks for the advise. I'll run two Big Meks and try it with the deffkoptas first, but buy enough boyz so I can change my mind later if they're not adding anything to my game

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
first off big props for using my looted carnifex as your avatar:good:

I think also you may want to give the big meks burnas if they are going to be slogging with the boyz. Since every army out there now seems to go meck the burna can help crack them open and be useful against horde armies as well.

I will tell you I 'm not a fan of grots. I would rather take 5 boyz from each if the 30 man squads and make a new unit of shoota boyz to babysit the lootas. Because 25 boys will still give the unit plenty of punch.

last thing I wouldsuggest would be to have the killa kans armed all the same way either all rokits or all grotzookas. Since they are in squad they have to all fire at the samething.

Good luck and keep us updated on how things go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For all my reading, I still haven't played the game, so I guess I didn't consider that the whole killa kan unit would be firing at the same thing; I'll have to think about what I want to do in that regard. Oh and thanks for the avatar, I laughed my ass off when I saw that (which was not particularly good since I'm sitting at work busy being unproductive).

I felt like the grots were a good call because they're more wounds for the points, and their primary goal is to be meat shields for lootas if something happens. Worst case scenario, the grots can form a one man deep circle around the lootas to prevent them from getting charged if something drops in behind them, then the lootas can do a charge of their own next turn (after all, they're still orks and it seems like having lootas charge is better than than letting them get charged). I figure I'll probably need to play a few games before I can really make any more comments on this.

As to the burnas, I'm kind of out of points to equip them. That said, if I do drop the grots, maybe I could put the points there.

For now, thanks for the advice. I've started purchasing models so give me a few weeks and maybe I'll be able to tell ya how it turned out :so_happy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts