Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first model where i've actually tried quite hard to make look good...

I am by NO means a good/experience painter... Just wanted to see what you thinked!!

He is a Daemon Prince for my Khorne Army, hence all the Red and Gold.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not an expert but I think it is good, I like It.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh fuck, I just re-did my whole Image Collection on Photobucket, barewith me.

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
well not to be a jerk but you put the paint on much to thick =/ and theres not really any highlighting or detailing.

I suggest using the Gw washes and dry brushing.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Looks good mate but I reckon you could really benefit from adding some shading or highlights to the model. You can do this by highlighting properly or if you aren't so experienced in these techniques try using the GW washes (these are perfect for what I feel you need to do to the model) and drybrushing. Then again there's no harm in trying out highlighting :)

Not meaning to slate your work, you've done a good job, merely trying to give you some tips to improve.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What angmar tried to say it, you might want to thin your paint a bit more before painting. If possible too, you might want to give your red a dark red wash (baal red from GW, or thinned paint) to give it a bit more depth.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I like the overall scheme of things, but I would say you should definitely try watering down your paints. I personally wouldn't try highlighting just yet, concentrate on watering your paints down :victory:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys :) No offence taken, Was looking for constructive critisism, to try and improve my techniques :) I think i shall start experimenting On some other models, that arent as important to me :D

How does one thin out his paint? :p

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Water, just add water.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Yeah just add water like said.

It'll take a couple of layers of the watered down paint to get complete coverage, but it won't be as thick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, try washing it and maybe redo the design on his sword if you're not bothered about it. Other than that, I really like it, it looks much better than mine! The teeth looks really cool too, I find it hard to do that kinda detail. Good job, rep.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You will find that watering down your paints as already mentioned will smooth out your paints alot. I use the Mechrite Red Foundation for my Word Bearers. It can be watered down a fair bit and still cover reasonably well.
If you are after a dirtier look, i would suggest a Devlan mud wash and then a light drybrush of a brighter red. Otherwise a Baal red wash will really help to add depth to your paintjob.
I find the learning is best done on your rank and file models such as your marines.

You're on the right path. Could just use some refining.
Hope that helps a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts