Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow heretics,

Seeing as my army of Chaos Space Marines are progressing nicely (I can field around 2500-2750 points now) I'm finding myself looking at the plans for expansion for the next 6 months or so. However, me being the multibuilder that I am, I cannot seem to agree with myself on what the next projects should be - What would be the best idea for a army my size.

Now before we continue, my army currently consists of the following:

HQ:
1 x Be'Lakor
3 x Daemon Prince (I collect Daemons as well, so I got plenty of these to boot)
1 x Typhus (Calas Typhon model)
1 x Kranon the Relentless (Chaos Lord)

Troops:
25 x Chaos Cultists
15 x Possessed

Elite:
14 x Plague Marines
10 x Noise Marines
2 x Decimator Daemon Engine
5 x Chosen Space Marines

Heavy Support:
3 x Obliterators
2 x Forgefiends
1 x Defiler
3 x Helbrute

Fast attack
11 x Chaos Space Marine Bikers
1 x Heldrake

Dedicated transports:
1 x Landraider

Fortifications:
1 x Aegis Defence Line w/ Quadgun

Now my current plan, building and painting, looks like this:

March:
3 x Rhino (in progress)

April:
20 x Chaos Space Marines

After this, however, I find myself wondering what's the best course of action to expand with and in which order. With the 20 Chaos Space Marines and 3 Rhinos, I'm set for troops along with my cultists and possessed. But I'm wondering what the next natural step is.

My considerations are the following:

- Sicaran Battle Tank
- Spartan Assault Tank
- 2 x Hellblades
- Juggerlord + 6 spawns
- 10 x Warptalons
- 1-2 Dreadclaw
- Kharne + 10 Berserkers

But maybe I missed something. Based on your experience (both playing against and with the army) what would you suggest my next addition is? I could use some input on this one, as I would start buying the parts and models I need for the next 4-5 months - And honestly I've kinda lost track of what role I'm seriously missing in my army. I'm thinking anti-air is a big deal currently, but maybe there's something glaring at me that I haven't seen.

Any and all input is very appreciated!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Helblade and the Warp Talons in my opinion :)

Purely rule of cool seeing as I can't really comment on the game itself these days :laugh:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
For me, it'd be the Sicaran hands down. Spartan is a cool option, but so is Kharn and 9 bezerkers in a Anvillus drop pod!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Helblade and the Warp Talons in my opinion :)

Purely rule of cool seeing as I can't really comment on the game itself these days :laugh:
Id go with rule of cool as well. If you can't find what your missing (if its anti air just get an aegis and convert it) then go with what you want to paint. thats usually what i try and do.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback so far guys - You're all awesome!

(if its anti air just get an aegis and convert it)
Ah yes, I do have a Aegis defence line. I will add it to the list.

My initial thoughts are with the Hellblades for Anti-air or Sicaran for heavy support. I feel my greatest weakness currently is Anti-air and I don't think the Aegis is worth it to be honest, so I'd probably rather go with a few Hellblades.

On the other hand, the Sicaran sounds damn nasty.

Downside to the above? Both of them are FW and thus I cannot use any of them in local tournaments. Meh.

(EDIT: I just Added that I do in fact own Be'Lakor so @Mossy Toes can rest easy)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Well, if you can't use them...i'd rather take jugger-axe lord + 6 gory spawns and then Kharne + some zerkers to add a more khorny part to your army

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, if you can't use them...i'd rather take jugger-axe lord + 6 gory spawns and then Kharne + some zerkers to add a more khorny part to your army
Those are tempting as well - I can use the tank and the Helblades in my local normal games though, which are 90% of all my games, so it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing is, if I do with Kharn I would need that Spartan. 10 Zerkers just isn't enough.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Those are tempting as well - I can use the tank and the Helblades in my local normal games though, which are 90% of all my games, so it wouldn't be a problem.

The thing is, if I do with Kharn I would need that Spartan. 10 Zerkers just isn't enough.
then it sounds like you need more zerkers :laugh: Personally i have ALWAYS love berzerkers and would love to field and army of them one day.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Rule of cool.

Terminators, 5+ a lord. They are great Kits and I think you would have a blast getting them added to your force.

I would also look to appoc formations, when you start to hit the 2500+ army sized having the stuff to be able to pull together an Appoc formation is nice...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Jugger lord with spawn is awesome, I can confirm this, especially if you back them up with invisibility and some other scary targets.
My next purchase will be a hell blade.
But for the points Spartans kick the shit out of raiders. Sicarans also rock 15 rending shots for 190 is decent ,but base it is still good value.
I think you have hit the same wall as myself, there's not much more to get out of our basic dex. The only place is forge world.

This is out of the box but what about a chaos warhound. That is some bang for your $$$$.

I went with jugger spawn a sicaran and dreadclaw. But think about what you will enjoy painting and gaming with. Hope it helps.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jugger lord with spawn is awesome, I can confirm this, especially if you back them up with invisibility and some other scary targets.
My next purchase will be a hell blade.
I'm leaning more and more towards the Hellblades I must admit - The ability to kill flyers more efficiently sounds pretty good to me. I haven't tried the juggerlord yet though..

then it sounds like you need more zerkers Personally i have ALWAYS love berzerkers and would love to field and army of them one day.
They do sound fun, but with the rumor that new Zerkers is on the way who knows? Maybe I will include these before the summer!

Terminators, 5+ a lord. They are great Kits and I think you would have a blast getting them added to your force.
I've never had a good relationship with Chaos Terminators I must admit. Every time I've fielded them in the past, they always get torn to shreds and they never do anything - Admittedly with MoT for a 4++ they get a bit more options though...

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I've never had a good relationship with Chaos Terminators I must admit. Every time I've fielded them in the past, they always get torn to shreds and they never do anything - Admittedly with MoT for a 4++ they get a bit more options though...
Quite a bit more expensive, too. :puke:

If the rumors are true, it's possible that there will be some new options for our cult troops, so it could be prudent to hold off on any purchases until the end of the month when we'll know whether or not the rumormongers were making shit up or confused about End Times minis being for 40k.

Can't go wrong with the Hell Blades, although bolters can still bring them down. I never roll any 6s to pen, so the rending hasn't come in handy yet. Against weak flyers it's an absolute beast, but against AV12 it still might not be as useful as you'd hope (situational, of course, you could roll like a god). 5's to glance, 6's to pen/rend just doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
- Sicaran Battle Tank
- Spartan Assault Tank
- 2 x Hellblades
- Juggerlord + 6 spawns
These look all like solid choices. The three FW ones are things I lust after, and Spawn/Juggerlord is always solid...

I might consider getting a Maulerfiend (or two), if you want some fast melee support that's great at tank-cracking or stripping attacks from big and scary MCs, while still being a cultist squad cheaper than a Forgefiend.

Another thing that comes to mind are some Sorc minis, to take advantage of that Crimson Slaughter Balestar. Biker-sorc and Termi-sorc, or something.

If I were to wholly have my way with your collection (woo-er, missus!), I'd probably also find an extra large torso, head and arms somewhere and then tear the top half off that Defiler--Soul Grinder time! But you're asking about CSM, not Daemons, so... less relevant, perhaps.

(EDIT: I just Added that I do in fact own Be'Lakor so @Mossy Toes can rest easy)
Whew!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Another thought @Nordicus is to build your own hellblades. Before I bought a Heldrake I did a bunch of reading on the best conversions based on a heldrake, and there's a guy who did a really solid hell blade/hell talon conversion.

Personally, I think I would try to move the wings out from the body a bit to open it up a little. And obviously I'd mount guns on the under carriage and probably keep the flamer, or kept the flamer and magnetize the guns. It's not perfect but I think this guy got it Almost right.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the rumors are true, it's possible that there will be some new options for our cult troops, so it could be prudent to hold off on any purchases until the end of the month when we'll know whether or not the rumormongers were making shit up or confused about End Times minis being for 40k.
That is a good point - I personally think they are mixing them up and that we might be getting dataslates or the like. I don't believe in a new supplement for the army.

Another thing that comes to mind are some Sorc minis, to take advantage of that Crimson Slaughter Balestar. Biker-sorc and Termi-sorc, or something.
Not a bad idea, and I do have a biker champion with both arms magnetized so it's an option. I just need to buy a arm that I can use - Forcesword or the like.

I might consider getting a Maulerfiend (or two), if you want some fast melee support that's great at tank-cracking or stripping attacks from big and scary MCs, while still being a cultist squad cheaper than a Forgefiend.
Again, not a bad idea - I should probably get some of those soon as well!

Another thought @Nordicus is to build your own hellblades.
As much as I like that idea (the conversion is quite nice) I severely despise painting the Helldrake in general. I dread the day I have to paint 1-2 Helldrakes as it killed my will to paint for nearly a month the last time due to all those trims :S If I go for one, it would probably be the ones from Forgeworld, just to avoid those pesky wings xD

Thanks for the suggestion though - The idea and thought was grand man!

At this point I think I will do the Hellblades first, following by the Sicaran and then the juggerlord with spawns. When the AA is sorted I have more options for the ground as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts