Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i'm not the best painter in the world. In fact i'm probably pretty terrible, but I wanted to share with you my space marine Salamander captain. Probably my best modeling yet. What do you think?

I ran into an interesting problem cause I made sargents have a gold and black color scheme and needed something more for captains so through in the red, think that was a good cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi guys i'm not the best painter in the world. In fact i'm probably pretty terrible
Everybody starts out bad, and anyone who starts out good is a bad liar.
It's a good start, and you should be proud of it. Some of my earlier models looked like that, and it took a while to get where I am (have a look at some of my models while you're at it).

your paint seems a little thick, just add a dash of water to your paint pots and you it'll look a lot smoother.

just practice, practice, practice, and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ya they're right. And here is a tip: if you wanna add texture easily just use some inks.

·
Searching for Vulkan
2,755 Posts
It's not horrible man, you painted in the lines. A simple wash of perhaps devlan mud will make him look less flat and bring him to life! Just think of what's comming for you in the next couple of years man!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Its pretty good dude. I'm the same way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone its nice to have such postive feedback. I have a small confession to make now, which is basically that I have really bad eye sight. Bad enough that glasses dont help.

I long refused to model because "i cant do it" and had a friend of mine paint my necrons for me. Times move on I live somewhere else and I wanted to start marines and finally decided taht regardless of how bad it looks i was going to do it myself.

Besides nothing more disgusting than mate gray unpainted armies.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Even with bad eyesight, you painted in the lines very well (something I often can't seem to get right...), like others have been saying you just need a quick wash of devlan mud or badab black all over the model (just take a thick brush dab a bit of the wash on and just lather it on the model, the wash then flows in the recesses and shades the model for you, adding a lot of depth to it). My first models were horrible, so you should be happy that you are this good at the start!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
It looks pretty good. I would suggest getting some washes on there to give the model an overall depth to it. I would also reccomend that you water down your paints too, since this can really affect a good paintjob.

Looking forward to seeing some more stuff from you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like the others said, if you wash each of the colours it will massively improve the look of the model. The foundations are neat and you painted them well, so the washes should be a piece of cake despite your eyesight not being the best. Good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
One thing I find to work when working with models close up is to take my glasses off and work with them. 200/210 vision here ( i can't identify an armless terminator model any farther than 3 feet and can't see it clearly until about 14 inches) But when I'm up close to the model it's clearer than when I've got my glasses on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
haha, my vision is pretty damn pitiful... i can't read the big E on the top of the Eye chart. I just know it's an E. I'll have to give the no glasses things a try. I know that when i actually get up close to something it does look more crisp then when i wear contacts.

woog out!

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
that is not bad at all mate. it looks a load better than grey plastic, and for your first, i think this is nice. like the others said, water down your paints and apply it in several thin coats instead of one thick one. i have 20/20 vision, but i still use a magnifying glass with a light on it. it is a very good investment. + rep for a good first model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts