Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
age, and mek

i am verrrrrrrry old with many wrinkles. At 25 i started aging backwards so i am now 21 again ;)

I thought I should pop up my mek, he is paler slightly, than the rest, as i assumed he would not see much of the sun while he is busy working away at his bashing and welding of dakka dakka items.

I am not sure I like the metal work as of yet..

I might go back to him later this evening and work on the pipes and wires tbh

Really nice painting considering how much you said you were a novice. One tip for picture taking, hold the camera further away than you are, use the macro setting (normally a flower) and zoom in. The camera will have a much better chance of focusing clearly on the model.

Got any plans for your bases?

Discussion starter · #24 ·
i have already admitted this in a pm to KhainiteAssassin, who has been a great help with tips today, but.... no laughing! the cam is actually just a basic webcam...

I tried to get some taken with my little digital last night, but they came up so muddy and blurred. So i decided to sit there this morning and spend some time on hand turning the zoom on the webcam hehe.

i did host them up onto photobucket,as i am used to using this for photos in the past, and i probably should of edited them before i pasted them up here but i decided to just do a straight take and post.
i looked a right state trying to do things with only 2 hands that needed 4.. holding the desk lamp, the cam and trying to press 'snap'.
my digital sadly is a cheap version, and hasnt got the macro/miniature feature.. but i plan on treating myself to a better upgrade. I know you can pick up a reasonable one for under 50 squids :D

I was struggling with the light today, as you can tell.. i think i would drive you mad, i even paint in semi darkness.. i blame being in leeds its always grey ;)
The tripod is a great idea that KhainiteAssassin reminded me about,

base wise i think i might tip toe over to the section that you recommended to the brother on the introduction thread. but someone recommended http://www.modelbits.co.uk/Warhammer+40k.htm ... i actually was so impressed thinking all the gallery shot bases were painstaking hand made ... i am such a noob

and thank you again Alice.. like i said in the pm,, always room for Gaz, a waaaaggghh wouldnt be a true one without him

I really like the look of this army (even though they're not based). I too was unsure if they were going to be horrible, but if you didn't say you've only been doing this a month or thereabouts I would have thought you had been doing this for a while. I like the checks, the skin and the metal areas. As well as your weirdboy's eyes. It looks like he's positively brimming with waaagh! psychic power. Not much to suggest really (except to add the odd 15 lootas here and there), but have some rep anyway!

Very nice start to the waargh, tidy and with some interesting depths to the skin tones.
You certainly have a knack for painting and watching you get your force together should be fun.

The metals may be a little clean n bright, the fix all wash Devlan Mud may be worth a try, but then again I tend towards dark and dirty, so it may be a question of taste.

I look forward to seeing them based and da wheelz being done.
If I can help in any way shoot me a pm.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Thank you all. :D

I do currently have a squad of 5 lootas, and 5 burners. they need a little loving though and a few coats of paint. Hopefully I can add to them when money allows.

I have a large number of models made up and crying out for me to lavish time on them, I have been trying to build up a solid frame work for my boyz. I have the trukk as a next key piece to focus on, but i do have 5 kopters, and 5 bikez squished into the orky garage. I am hoping that i can get a good technique into my brain from the work on the trukk before going onto the smaller fiddly areas of the smaller vehicles.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I am indeed a novice, but a little competitive with myself and dont like to settle for a 'just ok-ish' job. Saying that when i compare some of the very first to the most recent the standard to my own eye is such a massive gap from one to the other. But i think we are all probably critical with ourselves :D

I am oddly nervous about doing the bases, i think i might invest in some sculpted ones and paint them up to start with, before trying my hand at my own.

I am away from my paints and boyz for a week, but when i return i am going to concentrate on getting a trukk painted up. I plan to use the week away to probe this forum and get a few ideas about how to paint up vehicles affectively... so any tips and advice will be really welcomed.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Thanks Vash.. i may be filling your inbox up.. you may regret offering your help hehe.

The metals are a little cleaner on the larger models as i like to try to paint them to stand out a little to the tide, many of my boyz are rather grubby looking! I am a fan of the devlan mud! It gets many outings when i paint ;) In the main the i think the metals look cleaner as i tend to free hand a lot of scratches.. i think maybe there is a better way to do it, but at the moment i use mithril silver to create and define the scratches. I am going to try a more rusty and corrosive affect hopefully, and test it out in the trukk.

I started my first few boyz a lot darker and muddier looking, and i was worried that the muscle and sinew definitions werent contrasting enough, so admittedly as the month has progressed the boyz are getting lighter in tone. I do personally like the deep dark greens too, but i was worrying that they were to flat. I think maybe if i focused more attention on highlighting the features then it wouldnt matter about them being darker toned.

any advice is wanted :D i am getting a little lost in my habits

We won't regret it if you need help and I'll offer to help as well.

You have a nice start going there and you will get better as you do this more often. I think you are doing great so far. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

So far looks good, even if it is a bit light for my taste( I prefer my orks to be almost black). If I might add my two cents on orky vehicles, don't just slap parts on, but take time to plan them out. I have found that my orky vehicles take more time to plan their conversions than other projects, since if you are too random, it can look sloppy instead of ramshackle.

vash's blitz brigade are some of the best examples of what I am talking about, since he obviously takes his time to consider where each part should go, they lppk better than most orky vehicles, without looking like they came out of a factory.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
sorry for quietly lurking i have been painting...

If I havent yet thanked you for replies then... thank you thank you :D all feedback is recieved in good grace.. mostly ;)

I am sorry for being a llittle quiet recently, I am still lurking about, however i am also in the process of packing up my life and lifting it to another county. It is so inconsiderate hehe.. Sadly this means I have also packed away most of my orky transports. So I have had to make do with instead painting the odd escape artist that refuses to be packed away.

I still need to learn how to base them as I want them, and so try to close your eyes on that.

Once again the camera is bad.. still working on that but as before almost everything is packed away.

I have been working on a Kommando squad, and found this a good excuse to treat myself to Snikrot.

It was a toss up whether or not to do Snikrot a dark and muddy green, in order to blend in with the undergrowth he creeps about in, but I decided the model cried out for muscle and sinew definition, and I seem to struggle to do this with a darker skin tone, so any hints would be greatly accepted. Ended up going for a paler complexion, as i found the darkness came from the contrast made by the shadows cast by his gear. I realy like the cast of this model maybe one of my favorites. Still struggling to do googles or lense glass justice. Looks around with fluttering eyes for help.

Planning to do the rest of the squad a darker muddy green.
I have been trying to try out a brusing of the skin around implanted metal, or grafted weapons. I want to try to perfect a angry rawness. With a open sore blending into a raw flesh fading into a blue tinged brusing. I am thinking possibly next time to try a mix of bronzed flesh and bleached bone, to get a colour more akin to dying flesh, instead of a bruise. I found trying to mix the right blend of a red hued purple a battle.

Now once I can hunt my way into the correct box I may be able to complete my squad of Kommados ;)

Wow Eeveria, once again your painting amazes me. The Komandos are some of my favourite ork minis and if i was going to paint an ork, i'd pick up one of them.

I love the way you painted the lenses, i always struggle with lenses and jewels so if you can provide any tips on how you did them i'd be most grateful.

As for bases, my tried and tested tecnique is to glue sand/small stones on the base prior to base coating the minis, painting them up and then adding patches of static grass (more recently i've started adding snow too, but that might not be up your street). Failing that, there are some good tutorials on teh GW website.

Keep up the good work

Rev

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thank you Rev!

You do realise I am trying my hardest to even approach your standard? You kind of set the bar for me.

I have to admit I think I have found my favourite models in the Kommandos and purchased Snikrot to boost their stats just so I had an excuse to lavish time on them.. but don't tell the gretchins that! ssush.

Thank you for the compliment on the goggles, but maybe the blurred camera makes them appear better than they are, it is one of the areas i am really struggling on. It is frustrating me greatly. I can't seem to get the realism with them, or the right highlighting. You would also curse me if you could see my attempt at a marine helmet and its flat eye glass, that is dangling on the backpack of this Kommmando. I was hoping for advice on glass and goggles.

Thank you about the base tips.. how do you avoid getting paint on the dirt? I am terrible when painting boots. Do you use a pva glue to secure it? I do have some bits and bobs to use but i am almost nervous of not doing the job justice, and ruining the look of the model.

The snow sounds a great idea! I bet your marines are looking fab on it... not sure my boyz would like it though, too cold on the toes.

Thank you as always

how do you avoid getting paint on the dirt? I am terrible when painting boots. Do you use a pva glue to secure it?

The snow sounds a great idea! I bet your marines are looking fab on it... not sure my boyz would like it though, too cold on the toes.
Without meaning to step on Rev's toes, most people either base first and paint the basing material as well as the model. Or alternatively, as with the snow, paint the model, then base it and try to avoid getting basing material on the model.

Doing it by basing and then trying to avoid painting it would be hard work.

PVA glue is good for basing, or wood glue, or indeed most hobby style glue. Cheap is good here too as you will use plenty across the bases of an army so don't waste superglue :p

Oh and welcome back from your lurking! :wink:

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Good evening Squeek.. :D and thank you for the welcome back.. its nice to be typing again hehe, but I do lurk so much better.

I was being so dense about the basing wasn't i?
thank you so much for the tips. I am currently sat here, the lapbook thing balance on one knee and my paints and brushes on another. I plan to try to get a few grots done tonight.. unfortunately the flock and gravelly pieces I did buy a few weeks back are somewhere hidden in the depths of a half packed box.
I will definitely be a little braver about basing once I have settled down in the new place, and hopefully show a step by step update of the bases so everyone can advise me as I go in case I do something rather simple and dim!

Thank you for the comments and time again :D

Discussion starter · #40 ·
I will :D thanks for the tip.
Sadly my cam and the light bleeds a little of the detail out, I am a little bit obsessed with my orkz skin a and muscle tone, i tend to layer many shades of mixed and blended greens, to try to get a realism.
However you are right, i think at the moment the layers are all falling a little too much in the same spectrum.
I am currently painting a grot handler so i wil take your advice with him and try a little something different and more beefcakey :D rawrrr grrrr

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.