LS (MM) 60
LS (MM) 60

Heavy Support
LR Crusader (MM) 260
Predator ( Side Lascannon e hunterkiler mmissile) 130
Vindicator (dozer blade) 120
Vindicator (dozer blade) 120
Total 1500

SO, wath shuld I do to get to 2000? 1o sternguard dropping w comibi melta?? Gettin more points on LS or maybe a a bike squad w 2 meltagun and MM? Givving SS nad terime to lib? Usin a 10 ssault well equied w a chaplain? Or maybe mora tacs to hold objective.

Please help me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would throw in some sniper scouts for taking out tough guys and sitting on objectives. Also would get a dreadnought thrown in there. you can also throw in 2 or 3 more terminators for some overkill.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I don't think you have near enough shooting threats in your list to be competative.... You can run termies, but you should tailor the rest of your list to support them...

You will struggle if you're trying to include, Sternguard, Termies, Bikes, and Vindicators... I would suggest that you pick one and then build the rest of the list to support it...

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's alright, but I'm a 3 tac squad/army guy, so your scoring units look too low for me. Also with the proclivity for melta these days you are making a list that is a Vulkan player's wet dream, not to mention guard valk spam, DE lance slide, Nidzilla, wolf pods AND necrons.
That's a lot of standard lists to be weak to

My advice, raise your model count. 1 more tac squad with rhino/razorback is an extra 33% of your current model count.
switch out the librarian for a chaplain
sub 2 lightning claw termies into that unit.
then I would fill in the rest of the list (don't forget that tac squad) with...
dreadnought w/ MM and drop pod
ranged dreadnought (most likely mortis)

·
Registered
220 Posts
he basically has a vulcan build..

so.. get vulcan, give the tac squads flamers, get one more speeder and give them all mm/hf combo, and 6 sternzies, 5 w/ combi melta, one with heavy flamer in a rhino. bam! i didn't do the points exactly but something like that.

:D

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
You still have the problem of not having enough ranged threat... right now in your 1500 list you only have 1 pred and a couple of speeders that need to be w/in 12" to really be effective...

I don't think Termies are a good idea at 1500 and at 2K I think you need to build your list around them (see below)

•Librarian in Terminator Armor
•Terminator Assault Squad – 4 w/ Thunder hammer, Sgt with LC – In a Land Raider Redeemer with Multi Melta
•Two10 man Tactical squads with ML and Flamer in Razorbacks (TL Las)
•Two Rifleman Dreads
•Three Typhoons
•Three Preds (Autocannon and Las sponsons)

Just adding a couple of dreads is not going to solve the basic flaw in your list. Against a hard shooting army you just don't have any real ranged threat.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Vindicators are the Space Marine epitome of ranged threat, being equally capable of dealing with high armor and horde at 2000 points, two of them work absolute wonders.
The Redeemer is extremely inefficient in comparison to the Crusader, being able to move 6 and fire every gun is way beyond worth it, stick with it.
Having only 2 (or 4 halves) scoring units is a quick guarantee to losing objective missions in any level of game where objectives are used.
In order to switch over to a Vulcan list you might want to consider Isarofeen's advice, along with pulling in another tactical squad. HF/MM/DCCW dreads or HF/M Ironclads in drop pods never go amiss in vulcan lists either.
While I will advocate CLT40k's advice on the Mortis Dreadnoughts and the Typhoons, I do not believe they fit the tempo of the build without completely rewriting the list.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Vindicators are good as long as you can get close to your opponent. Most deployment will find them more than 24" away. So turn 1, they have to move and pop smoke. Then they get shot. I do have a 3 Vindicator list for 2K that is a lot of fun to play.. but there are a ton of other threats there so that I'm not lynchpinning on just the vindis and I'm running three of them so that one might make it to turn 3.

For the list above, the intent was to show how to support termies with the rest of your list. That being said, I don't really see my example list as being competative. It's a "best of the worst" concept (worst being a single rock army) In that list, you sacrafice some of the scoring units for more dakka to support your Termies. But it gives me 10 hard shooters every turn. If I were to take this to a tournament (which I wouldn't) it might see the loss of a Typhoon for a Squad of Scout Snipers w/ cammo cloaks.

In the 1500 list above he's only got 1 unit that shoots greater than 24" -- how's that gonna work? And at 1500 points, he should expect to get creamed for taking the termies - cause his opponent gets a free round of shooting while his vindis and termies try to get somewhere useful...

Interesting thought about the Crusader...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice,

I am a little worried about just 2 tac squads. I am really considering about adding another or a scout/sniper squad.

About ranged shooting this army has more than 1 unit that shoot farther than 24". The LR will shoot at 36" blasting squads and MCs. I will combat squad and place two 5 man squad w ML static on some cover. Anyway, I can add a Lascannon Dread to support infantry. Or put a Melta Dread on a Drop Pod - but that doesn't seduce me.... giving one melta shot and then letting the Dread to die...

I always wanted to add a termie SS librarian and Cassius to my 2000 list. But adding them 2 may be a little expensive - 90 for termie SS + epistolary and 125 for Cassius. What are your toughts? I really love Vulkan, but this is a UM list, most are already painted.

Any final thoughts on how should I spend this 500 points?

·
Registered
220 Posts
another scoring unit is probably a good idea. i haven't played them enough but i've heard 6 or 7 sniper scouts can be effective.

your first round shooting with be slight at best, but if you want to run it without adding fire support, i say do it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would have to agree with the above advice. Getting another scoring unit would be my first goal. Two tac squads @ 2000 is too few. Need something else to hold/take objectives. Maybe try giving a couple of squads razorbacks. I have recently started using them, and they can really pay off. Anyways, hope this helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And what about "some melta in your face tatics" to my 1500 list

Dread (MM) 105
Drop Pod 35

Sternguards (5 combi-melta) 150
Drop Pod 35

Tac squad 5 man - 90
Drop Pod - 35

total cost 450
Remaining points 50

Dred and Sternies drop on first round and this tac squad wait on reserve.
Any thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts