Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thing I was wondering about was if you can give WoC a shield and a halberd. And is it like 40k that I can use the hand weapon and shield, or the halberd and decide which i want to use in each round of combat?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Currently, yes you can choose at the start of each combat, but are stuck with that choice for the duration of that combat. Don't know how (or if) that'll change in 8th ed.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, you have 2 hands and at the start of any combat you choose what to fill them with... but its strictly 2 hands only (so nothing like the relic blade+storm shield like 40k allows).
WoC warriors can take shield and halberd and many people do- you always get the +1 save from the shield when you are shot at and when you get into combat you can choose between +2 save or +1 strength.

This may well all change in 8th edition... which we might find out later this week.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Got a glance at the rules for 8th ed at last. From what I remember, if you have a special weapon you gotta use it. So you can give your WoC shields and halberds but they have to use the halberds in HtH. The shields will only be useful against ranged attacks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Spears, halberds, great weapons are all "special". Not sure how they're gonna FAQ black orcs. Don't treat this as ironclad, though. I may get a chance to peek again tomorrow and will check on this for sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i can confirm that everyone weapon except for a hand weapon is a special weapon :/ great weapons, spears, maces, magical swords, everything, so you would have to use the halberds, in the case of black orcs i think it will be FAQ and they will still be alowed to pick :) hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
As everyone has said before in 8th if you have a halberdier with hand weapon and sheild he's still a halberdier any weapon that has special rules (Anything thats not a hand weapon basically) or is classed as a magic weapon then that weapon is the default weapon and must be used.
The only exceptions to this at the moment are Black orcs (Armed to da teef rule)
Iron fists as it states in the rules may be a sheild or add hwp, and I think Slayers get a special rule but haven't checked.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Shape of things to come:

Q. Can Ironfists still be used as either shields or additional hand weapons in combat if the additional hand weapon is a special weapon.
A. Since special weapons take priority all ogre Ironfists must always be used as additional hand weapons.

... call me cynical but that just seems to be the way GW FAQs are going lately: but hey, you would be spending that extra point to have 'cool' looking models :p

Personally though I'm planning on getting rid of both my AHW and Ironfists from my bulls- its not worth the extra 24-45pts a unit (Im thinking units of 6-9) for +1-2 attacks (after you have a charctr or 2 in the front rank)... not so sure about using ironfists as shields yet, but since I normally rely on regen and I couldnt take both a 6++ and a 4+ regen I think I'll stay basic (yay, ogre clubs used once more- might have to use bullgorger just to get back to the -3AS that my Ironguts have always given me).

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
the rules for the ironfist are self explanatory the iron fist is a special weapon that may be used as either a sheild or additional hand weapon the only things that break the rules as they stand are the Slayers and bl'orks but their special rules say they can choose which is appropriate for the situation so yet again no real problems until the faq comes out and makes them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.