Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says multiple questions inc:read:

Drop pods and decent of angels.....

1) If a unit with decent of angels special rule takes a drop pod does it still scatter 2D6 or because of the DOA does it only scatter 1D6?

If the answer to question 1 is no they scatter 2D6 still then ignore question 2

2) If a unit of death company without the DOA rule is joined by lemartes with the DOA rule and deploy in a drop pod does it scatter 2D6 or 1D6?

Bit of a long shot now but i like trying to find ways around things so don't flame me to much if you think this is a stupid question:eek:k:

Tempest wrath and drop pods....

3)If a unit in a drop pod lands within 24 of a rune priest with tempest wrath active what happens?

The drop pod is not affected since the worst that can happen to a vehical going through terrain is to get imobalised, but the troops inside is the thing do they count as deepstriking so take dangerous terrain tests or do they count as just walking out a vehical and ignore the tempest wrath........i did say it was a long shot:p

Now on to blast weapons

4) if a devastator squad with 4 ML shoots at a unit with 4 frag shots do they resolve 1 blast marker at a time so place a blast marker---> roll of scatter---> roll for wounds---> remove models---> place next blast marker etc etc,

or do they place a blast marker---> roll for scatter---> count the hits---> place next template etc etc and add up all the hits then roll for wounds?

i hope that question seems clear, i think the way we are doing it in my gaming group is right but always worth checking when something seems overpowered:picknose:

I think thats everything now that i can remeber i wanted to ask anyway so if i think of anything else i will post again later

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
As the title says multiple questions inc:read:

Drop pods and decent of angels.....

1) If a unit with decent of angels special rule takes a drop pod does it still scatter 2D6 or because of the DOA does it only scatter 1D6?

I don't have the book, but I believe DoA only affects units with Jump Packs arriving from deepstrike. As Jump pack troops cant fit in a drop pod, this shouldn't be a problem. I'll let someone with the BA book confirm this.

2) If a unit of death company without the DOA rule is joined by lemartes with the DOA rule and deploy in a drop pod does it scatter 2D6 or 1D6?

Jump packs cannot be in a vehicle, and so lemarties (who always has a jump pack) cannot take a drop pod. Once again, going by what I've heard/remember, so someone with a book will have to confirm that.

Bit of a long shot now but i like trying to find ways around things so don't flame me to much if you think this is a stupid question:eek:k:

Tempest wrath and drop pods....

3)If a unit in a drop pod lands within 24 of a rune priest with tempest wrath active what happens?

The drop pod is not affected since the worst that can happen to a vehical going through terrain is to get imobalised, but the troops inside is the thing do they count as deepstriking so take dangerous terrain tests or do they count as just walking out a vehical and ignore the tempest wrath........i did say it was a long shot:p

They count as deepstriking, and would have to test. The Pod also has to take a dangerous terrain test, and (if failed) counts another Immobilised results, which therefore goes to weapon destroyed.

[Edit: just rechecked the SW FAQ, and apparently.... disembarking isn't moving :wacko: In direct conflict with the BRB FAQ ruling. Still, they are deepstriking troops, so would have to take the test I guess... It's just very confusing]

Now on to blast weapons

4) if a devastator squad with 4 ML shoots at a unit with 4 frag shots do they resolve 1 blast marker at a time so place a blast marker---> roll of scatter---> roll for wounds---> remove models---> place next blast marker etc etc,

or do they place a blast marker---> roll for scatter---> count the hits---> place next template etc etc and add up all the hits then roll for wounds?

This way is correct.

Place marker, scatter, count models, place marker, scatter, count models, place marker, scatter, count models, then roll all appropriate wounds afterwards. after all wounds are worked out, have the defending player assign them to models as normal.

i hope that question seems clear, i think the way we are doing it in my gaming group is right but always worth checking when something seems overpowered:picknose:

I think thats everything now that i can remeber i wanted to ask anyway so if i think of anything else i will post again later
Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
They count as deepstriking, and would have to test. The Pod also has to take a dangerous terrain test, and (if failed) counts another Immobilised results, which therefore goes to weapon destroyed.

[Edit: just rechecked the SW FAQ, and apparently.... disembarking isn't moving In direct conflict with the BRB FAQ ruling. Still, they are deepstriking troops, so would have to take the test I guess... It's just very confusing]
i have to disagree with this bit, the unit doesnt Deepstrike, the Drop pod does and unit just counts as having deepstriked for the purposes of launching an assult and firing heavy/rapidfire weapons

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
i have to disagree with this bit, the unit doesnt Deepstrike, the Drop pod does and unit just counts as having deepstriked for the purposes of launching an assult and firing heavy/rapidfire weapons
Possibly, I'm certainly open to the idea. However, I figured they would count going by P95:

"Models arriving via deepstrike treat all difficult terrain as dangerous.

In the movement phase when they arrive, these units cannot move
any further, other than to disembark from a deepstriking transport vehicle..."
And then the next couple of paragraphs, on what deepstriking units can do. It makes no distinction between deepstriking unit in a transport and the transport itself, when it comes to counting them as deep strikers. Also in the SM codex, it talks of how a unit deepstrikes via a drop pod. Sounds like they're a deep striking unit.

However, I'm not 100% on it, so if anyone has anything to add, or FAQ rulings to the contrary, it would be helpful to know :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

No they don't. Desent only applys to jump packs...why would you need it on a Drop pod anyway?

Now on to blast weapons

I don't own the Wolfs codex so i can't help much here

Shoots from any 1 unit are resolved at the same time so you roll to scatter all of the missiles and then roll to wound as normal with the cumlative dice
Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome so far guys questions 1,2&4 dealt with and i think the space wolves faq deals with the 3rd question,

faq question:
Q. The description of the Rune Priest psychic
power Tempest’s Wrath states that some units
within of 24" of the Rune Priest treat all terrain
as difficult and dangerous terrain. According to
the rulebook, disembarking is not subject to
difficult and dangerous terrain effects. So can
we assume a unit disembarking from a transport
vehicle into cover whilst within of 24" of the
Rune Priest wouldn’t have to take a test for
dangerous terrain?
A. Correct, but remember that the Tempest’s
Wrath may affect them later that turn.

which from what i gather from reading it the pod deep strikes and takes its terrain test on a roll of on the weapon is destroyed, when it lands it pops open and the troops can disembark within 2" unaffected, if in the shooting phase they do a run move instead of shooting they would take a dangerous terrain test for moving.

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That's the confusing bit - it's in direct opposition to the BRB FAQ on the matter - that I mentioned in my first post HOWEVER, I don't think that's referring to people exiting from a deep-striking vehicle, but rather when specific units disembark from a vehicle. I don't know the exact words of Tempests Wrath, and I don't know WTH they were thinking with that FAQ answer, but from what I've seen of it, it shouldn't affect the actual call on this question.

So, you deepstrike in a drop pod, you're deep striking, therefore you take a test, and it doesn't matter weather your disembarkation counts as movement or not. That's my view on it, from the RAW.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
units affected by this spell are skimmers,jetbikes,jump infantry and units deploying by deepstrike.

the only units in the selection that could possibly disembark from a vehical other than a drop pod is the jump infantry (but only from a stormraven afaik so BA only) so the faq of the spacewolve codex that i posted in my last post is imo refering to drop pod units ( since as far as i am aware the faq was out b4 the BA codex)

plus doesn't codex trump rulebook so surely the codex faq trumps the rulebook faq?

the way the spacewolves faq question is answered would seem to mean they drop pod in and disembark unaffected except for the pod making a test and then if they use thier shooting phase to do a run move the actual unit would do a dangerous terrain test if they just disembark and stand still shooting they are unaffected

what does everyone else think on the matter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts