Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to take multiple detachments from the same army?

For example. I played a game recently where my opponent took two detachments of Assassins in order to have two Vindicares, (his primary force was Inquisition). So was he limited to only one assassin detachment or is it valid?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Yes, so long as you bring the minimum HQ and 2 Troops per standard detachment (in a normal army) you can field as many detachments as you want in the allotted points. You don't need, say, 2k points before you bring a second normal detachment.

Every Formation also counts as a detachment, fwiw. You're just plain allowed to bring as many detachments as you like--detachments are the new "structure" around which you build your army, the FOC chart being just one of many options in that regard.

Many tournaments are banning multiple primary detachments--for example, Codex: Knights only allows 1-3 Knights per detachment, so that keeps people from spamming only Knights in a tournament. Also keeps 6 HS or FA lists from being fielded (though often Formations and Allies still allow lopsided, min-maxed lists... which I daresay isn't necessarily a bad thing, if most or all armies have access to similar levels of cheese. ...which they aren't)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As mossy says. It is like the old "double FoC" after 2000 pts but now You can just take as many multiples of the Primary detachment as you like

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I don't see where a knight detachment is a Primary detachment. I think you could put in Militarum Tempestus as your primary, and two three knight detachments as secondary, and game the "knight spam" that way.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
nope. knights can be primary detachment. in their codex you find the small rule to use only knights...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
oh crap i missed that bit. :good:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Knights can still be your Primary Detachment (per the FAQ), but you need to take three of them to do so. Or if taking only one, it can be your Warlord (and hence your Primary Detachment) only if you have no characters in the army. So no ICs, no sgts, no characters at all.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Knights can still be your Primary Detachment (per the FAQ), but you need to take three of them to do so. Or if taking only one, it can be your Warlord (and hence your Primary Detachment) only if you have no characters in the army. So no ICs, no sgts, no characters at all.
I agree. It specifically says if you have Knights as your primary detachment that you can take 3-6 of them in that detachment. The FAQ does not correct that part to be any different.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Let me see if I have this straight;
I can have any number of detachments.
Each has to have 1-2 HQs and 2 Troops.
Is there a difference between Combined armed and Primary, other then primary has the warlord in it?

Example:
1st detachment: 1 HQ farseer, 2 Troops Avenger units
2nd detachment: 1 HQ farseer, 2 Troops Avenger units
3rd detachment: 2 HQ SightSeers, 2 Troops WraithGuard units
Would that be valid?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.