Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this came up in a game we played over the weekend regarding multiple cursed earths. scenario as follows:

a herald of tzeentch cast cursed earth and a daemon prince had cast it as well now a group of horrors were between them, each cursed earth has a bubble effect both overlap the horrors so do they get the benefit of the two cursed earths. although it says under blessings "the benefit of one particular blessing can only be gained once per unit per turn, but benefits from other blessings are cumulative." under cursed earth description it says it is a "blessing that targets the psyker. while this power is in effect all daemons within 12" have a +1 to their invul bonus. this is cumulative with any other modifiers to daemons invul save.

the argument (sorry disagreement) was in two stages that blessings can't stack when they are the same but that the blessing is on the character the effect is a bubble. the unit receiving the first cursed earth lowers their invul to 4++, then the second cursed earth, which targets itself, and then its bubble effect adds its +1 invul due to them already having a +1 and it being cumulative then giving the horrors a 3++

peoples thoughts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess the ambiguous part is "The benefit of any one particular blessing can only be gained once per unit per turn, but benefits from different blessings are cumulative"

First off you'd need to decide if "One particular" is referring to each instance of a blessing or each type of blessing. As it goes on to clarify "benefits from different blessings are cumulative" I suspect it may be the latter, but this doesn't clarify instance or type, could also be equally ambiguous.

Cursed earth itself stipulates that it is "cumulative with any other modifiers to a Daemons invulnerable save", with the operative word being "other", which again suggest to me that they don't stack.

I don't play chaos personally, and our local heretic has a predilection for collecting skulls for his boss's fancy chair, and as such plays very few psykers, however I am concious of the potential for overlapping bubbles of invulnerable save improvements. I don't think it would take much to lap three of them, and 12" radius for a 24" bubble is a pretty big area. Say hello to my army of 2++ daemons? I'm guessing that's a little excessive, even by GW standards.

Conclusion: personally don't believe they stack, but this is GW, and I've been wrong before!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm pretty sure that two "Cursed Earth" blessing bonuses do not stack. Cursed Earth is one particular blessing that, therefore, cannot stack with itself. Instances of blessing do not prevail (except, maybe, in very specific cases where it is explained and defined) as one instance of Cursed Earth cannot give several times the same bonus that could (or could not) be stacked.

The precision of the cumulative invulnerable save bonuses comes from the fact that those potential bonuses are not always blessings (and sometimes don't even come from psychic powers).

It's the same debate as for the Mark of Tzeentch invulnerable bonus limited to 3++. That means that the MoT bonus is ignored if the invulnerable save lowers down 3++. Grimoire + MoT only give a 3++, whatever the order they have been activated or cast, as it is the case for MoT + Cursed Earth. Only Grimoire + Cursed Earth lowers an invulnerable daemonic save to 2++ (IMHO)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts