Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Hmm, you are correct. Did the old drones used to do this then because I have got it stuck in my mind this way for some reason.....

Of course, I don't use drones with my suits and never have so I am not fully enlightened with their rules lol.
Yeah under 3rd edition with the 3rd edition codex the drones had to be removed first. Majority toughness really screwed them up tho. But it guarenteed that the first casualties would be the drones.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Dartanyun, you do *not* get to assign a second save to the drone.

Two of those wounds *must* be applied to one of the battlesuits (pursuant to the 'must remove whole models' rule)

The drone makes *one* save.
The suit with the drone controller takes one wound.
The other suit takes TWO wounds and is removed.

I honestly don't see where people are getting the idea that the drone gets to make multiple saves in this instance. Squads with multiwound models are not allowed to spread wounds around. Once you start assigning wounds to multiwound models, you have to finish off the model's wounds before moving on.

As for drones on Broadsides, just remember that as soon as you give a solo suit a drone it becomes a regular squad and thus has to make morale and last man standing checks when its drones die. Buy it a bonding knife! It may sound silly to buy a bonding knife for a single suit and its drones, but it;s cheap and it keeps them on the board longer. For fluff reasons, just assume your solo broadside used to be a member of a larger, bonded squad but they died and he is the only survivor. He carries their memory and fights bravely so as not to disgrace their deaths, etc, whatever.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Dartanyun, you do *not* get to assign a second save to the drone.

Two of those wounds *must* be applied to one of the battlesuits (pursuant to the 'must remove whole models' rule)

The drone makes *one* save.
The suit with the drone controller takes one wound.
The other suit takes TWO wounds and is removed.

I honestly don't see where people are getting the idea that the drone gets to make multiple saves in this instance. Squads with multiwound models are not allowed to spread wounds around. Once you start assigning wounds to multiwound models, you have to finish off the model's wounds before moving on.

As for drones on Broadsides, just remember that as soon as you give a solo suit a drone it becomes a regular squad and thus has to make morale and last man standing checks when its drones die. Buy it a bonding knife! It may sound silly to buy a bonding knife for a single suit and its drones, but it;s cheap and it keeps them on the board longer. For fluff reasons, just assume your solo broadside used to be a member of a larger, bonded squad but they died and he is the only survivor. He carries their memory and fights bravely so as not to disgrace their deaths, etc, whatever.

The thing is you assign Saves before you assign wounds Gal. You do not assign Saves based upon the number of wounds. You have to assign them at one per squad memeber with wrap around. In this instance you get to assign 2 saves to the drone if you so choose as there is 1 wound which wraps around and you can choose who gets the second save. Now if it fails both of its saves then 1 extra wound is assigned to the squad which combined with any other extra wound will kill a suit. Now seeing as there are 2 wounds which both go to the suits that will be 2 wounds which will bypass AS and will result in 1 suit being killed. Another reason for this is for the "Torrent of Fire" rule. Every model must have an equal chance to make their saves. In this instance it works out that that means 2 Inv saves for the shield drone.:wink:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The saves have already been skipped, AP3 weapons.

This leaves you with 4 wounds.

Even if you wrap the saves around, you still have to kill at least one of the suits, regardless of who the save was assigned to.

No matter how you read the rules, there;s no way that team survives in tact.

Here's a thought: What about Torrent of Fire?
Ok, so there's more saves than there are models, but in that case the enemy gets to pick a model that takes one of the extra saves, yes?

The unit takes 4 wounding hits and has 3 models.
The attacking player declares torrent of fire and selects one of the battlesuits (If he's smart, the one wiht the drone control) to make one of the saves. The defending player then divides up the remaining saves as he sees fit.

In this case, there is only one way to assign them, one save to each model, since you can only double-up if there are more wounds than models. The wounds he has left to allocate is exactly one per model.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Im not saying one suit isnt killed out right from the 2 unsaved wounds that will get allocated to the suits. What I am saying though is that the drone does get a chance to make 2 saves. If it fails both of them the extra wound goes to the suits.

Yes Torrent of Fire could be used to bypass this if the attacker so chooses. He could declare where one of the shots goes (to a suit of course) and then the defender would allocate 1 save to each model which will result in 1 suit dieing, a drone taking an invul and the other suit taking a wound. Now if the drone makes it save the defender could choose to allocate the unsaved wound from the suit to the drone and remove the drone, there by leaving 1 suit with no wounds on it. Thats the benefit of removing whole models where possible.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I think we;re finally getting it straight now <chuckles>

If the attacker is smart he'll put one wound on the suit with the drone controller. The drone stays around long enough to make its save and/or absorb a wound, but after that it;ll be gone too, saved or not.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Yep.. that would be the smart thing to do.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts