Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that with units of more than one model it is possible to Assault multiple units. My question is can a single model unit do it. For example a dreadnought assaulting 2 devastator squads set up like this

Dev squads =A dread = B

AAAAA__AAAAA
______BB

Now If I assault the dev squad on the right but have the base of the dread touching the left dev squad as well( AAAAABBAAAAA) Would it be counted as a multiple assault and hold up the 2 units? I can't find the answer liek this in the rulebook, they only refer to multiple model units from what I can see.

Cheers for the help :D

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
No is the answer. The first model moved in the assaulting unit must follow the shortest path to the enemy unit, going around impassable terrain, friendly models and enemy models not being assaulted. Only after that initial move can other models in your squad multiple assault a different squad

Page 34, Assaulting Multiple Enemies.

A Dreadnought is a unit, albeit a unit of one model, but it still follows exactly the same rules. It is the first model to move, there are not other models to move so it may never multiple assault. It can be multiple assaulted obviously.

Aramoro

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Balls to that anyway. Cheers for clearing that up all the same :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
AAAAA__CCCCC
_________BB

But if you are like this and assault unit "A" you can still assault the closest model in unit A and base unit C

AAAAA__CCCCC
______BB

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
AAAAA__CCCCC
_________BB

But if you are like this and assault unit "A" you can still assault the closest model in unit A and base unit C

AAAAA__CCCCC
______BB
No, read Aramoro's post again. He explained it quite well. The first model may only assault the closest model in the unit you declared a charge against, while avoiding base contact with any models not being assaulted. That's it. That's all it gets to do. And that is the only model it can base with. Then, and only then, after your first model makes base contact, can teh other models in your unit assault other models, to include a different unit.

You can't base with C, you have to be 1" away unless assaulting them.
Ummmmm, no. You do know that the 1" restriction is lifted during assault moves, right? The reason it can't be done is in Aramoro's post and just above in this one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The first model moved in the assaulting unit must follow the shortest path to the enemy unit, going around impassable terrain, friendly models and enemy models not being assaulted. Only after that initial move can other models in your squad multiple assault a different squad
Aramoro
Well, I don't have the rulebook on hand to confirm my thoughts here, but I think Aramoro may have the interpretation of the rule correct, BUT his conclusion is not.

In the figure provided by the OP the SHORTEST DISTANE to either the first or second dev squad would be to walk DIRECTLY between the two of them indicated as straight up in the picture. If you remember your trig from high school you'll know this to be the case.
Now this MAY result in the single model actually coming into contact with a model from another enemy unit BEFORE touching a model from his intended target - this would be an invalid charge and he must then move around this model to continue on his way.
BUT it may very well happen that by traveling the SHORTEST distance to his declared target he ends up touching BOTH units SIMULTANEOUSLY and in that way and that way only could a single model declare a multi-charge.

The clearest example of this happening would be when a single model
(say a daemon prince) is standing on one side of a rhino and a tactical squad has disembarked using the door on the opposite side:

............D2

D1.....__o
........| |o
........| |o

If the Daemon prince (D1) declares his charge to be against the RHINO, then by moving the shortest distance he will end up touching ONLY the rhino, BUT if he declares his charge to be the tactical squad, the shortest distance will allow him to be in contact with the rhino AND with the model standing no the corner.

if the Daemon prince (D2) declares his charge to be against the tactical squad then by moving the shortest diestance he will end up touching ONLY the tactical squad, but if he declares his charge to be against the RHINO then by moving hte shortest distance he will be in contact with both the rhino AND with the model standing on the corner. Both are valid charges.

another good illustration would be in a case where you have a chaplain (I don't know why he's by himself... he sure must be lonely... must be a BA reclusiarch on his way to cry in the corner...)

x......A..B

lets assume you have a marine from a tactical squad (A) standing EXACTLY 25mm infront of a marine from a Dev squad (B) in a PERFECT straight line as indicated in my illustration, and you really want to tie that dev squad up in combat - your chaplain would be 100% within the rules to charge, you would move in the shortest distance possible, a straight line causing you to "bump" into 'marine A', you would then use any remaining movement to orbit his base (the shortest distance clause would force you to make the radius of this orbit as small as possible - thereby keeping you in contact with 'marine A') until you came into contact with 'marine B'. Now assuming you had enough movement to do this you would find yourself directly between A & B in the same plane you began in, touching both. Again, a perfectly legal charge.

The crux of these arguments is that, as stated, the 1" minimum distance between friend & foe is lifted during the assault phase...

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
My conclusion is correct because you must move around all enemy models with the first model moved in an assault and only subsequent models can contact a second unit.

Nice try though.

Aramoro

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twas worth a shot at least. That was the main idea I had but if it only refers to multiple model units than I guess that's all it works for.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
This. A single model can't multi-charge. Sadly.
And even if it wasn't expressly disallowed, it's one of those 'theoretically-but-not-practically-possible' things, like gaining +4 Ramming bonus from 12", you need to move exactly 12" in order to do so.
For that to happen, since you need to be exactly in Base Contact with both models, the shortest possible path would need to line up perfectly.

Any single model making an Assault move cannot practically move to be in Base Contact with more than one model, as you stop the moment you touch the first model; this doesn't matter so much since the enemy move into you after you've charged, but it's still technically correct.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I actually saw this at the 2nd round of the Ard Boyz this year, a guy used his Dread to assault 2 squads of Bloodletters. It was complete BS, but I didn't say anything (not my game, not going to backseat general a tourney). I told the Daemon player later, needless to say he won't let that fly again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts