Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking through the internet for high elf tacticas and found a thread on warseer about wether msu (many small units)armies work or not.
i enjoy chalenging army's and dont have a proper fantasy army yet although i have some high elves.
so without further ado here is my first atempt at 1000 point high elves
arch mage level 4 elven steed ithilmar barding 247
10 silver helms banner musician sheilds 250
5 elyrian reavers bows replacing spears banner musician 100
5 elyrian reavers bows replacing spears banner musician 100
tyranoc chariot 70
5 dragon princes banner musician 165
comes to 932 all out of models i have already apart from silver helms thoughts and ideas apreciated.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
MSU certainly does work and it can be very nasty. What it does well is in just drowning the opponent in too many units for them to be able to counter so you flood round them, fighting the combats you want against the units you want while you either avoid or block (sacrifice) to keep those units too strong for you busy. MSU/mobility is my basic playstyle and it can be a lot of fun... there are also those games where you just keep getting caught by strong untis you have little chance of killing and just get massacred, but then that's what makes the game fun.

I really don't think your list would work: other then in the magic phase it simply lacks the power needed to do much of anything. Reavers used to do almost nothing and unless they've changed a lot that will still be true and while tiranocs and dragon princes are good they can't kill their way through an entire infantry unit before they'll get brought down. The silver helms stand more chance as they can negate ranks but their low attacks will also mean that they'll be facing steadfast enemies almost everywhere which will see you lose most combats (albeit very slowly).

If you did want to run this type of army I would swap the reavers for a couple of eagles (in 2 units) and a few more dragon princes. The eagles would help you draw out the powerful units (such as sitting in front of the corner of a unit and blocking their move. When they inevitable charge you flee and get run down... drawing that unit ~12" off into the side of the board and wasting a few of their turns before they are in a position to charge again). meanwhile the rest of your force could be taking out the weaker enemy units such as ranged units, flankers and war machines.
Its a tough style to play, especially as a beginner, and its easy to lose and get disheartened as if you make a mistake it could easily cost you the game but its also very rewarding if you win...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i have no clue how or what would work this is just what I have apart from the helms witch I hope to be getting soon.The reavers I would hope to use like you sugested for the eagles baiting large units of infantry were they think they can get easy points and then running away.
Reavers got slightly better a 6 point base cost reduction i think.
I no the eagles are great redirecters whatever but I only have a lord of the rings version and I only have 1 so I will have to use reavers untill I expand and bye more stuff.
Would it be a good idea to drop 2 helms ithilmar barding and the reaver banners for 5 dragon princes,or 4 dragon princes ithilmar barding drake master and a high helm i will then have 2 points left.
thanks for the advice its exactly what i was hoping to get i kinda want it to be a uphill struggle jue to the fact that it will hopefully make me a better player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts