Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, how do you play this? I've got a rift in the gaming group here. I'm leaving out which side I'm on as the whole thing has been a friendly conversation with everyone just trying to wrap their minds around it (I'm the only table-top experienced player and I'm new to X-Wing still).

Side A:

If the ship's base overlaps an Obstacle while moving along its chosen movement template it counts as having overlapped said Obstacle and thus the damage dice is rolled and actions are not allowed.

Side B:

The ship's maneuver template has to over lap the obstacle or the ship's base has to finish its move on the Obstacle for the damage dice to be rolled and actions to be disallowed.

Here's the rule text for those not in the know, though this game's rules are all hosted for free on the FFG website. Take that, GW :biggrin:

When a ship executes a maneuver in which either
the maneuver template or the ship’s base physically
overlaps an obstacle token, follow these steps:

1. Execute the maneuver as normal, but skip the
“Perform Action” step.

2. The player rolls one attack die. The ship then
suffers any damage or critical damage rolled
(see “Suffering Damage” on page 16).

Important: When overlapping an obstacle token,
the ship stays where it lands (on top of the token).
A ship that is overlapping an obstacle token during
the Combat phase cannot attack any ship but
may be targeted by other ships as normal.
Whaddaya think, Heretics?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Not up to date on rules, but don't you only move the flight stand once (aka from the beginning of the template to the end?), unless you have a collision, and then backtrack?

We have always played it as such

Place movement template
does template go over a debris field/asteroid/other? Y/N
does the flight stand's final resting place end up on a X/Y/Z at the end of its move, regardless if it collides? Y/N

----

Personally if people are going to call out if a ship "Lands" or "goes over" a debris field/asteroid/other during its flight path if you trace its movement along the template - but do not check to see if it collides with other stuffs in the melee of the battle is a dick move. Play it one way ALL THE TIME, not just when it benefits YOU.

Tl;DR I play Side B - easier, faster, less complicated, more time to kill stuffs!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but do not check to see if it collides with other stuffs in the melee of the battle is a dick move
It does specifically state that ships can pass by other ships as a part of their movement, and lets be fair. If everyone is playing by the same rules then regardless of how it's interpreted everyone has the same advantages and disadvantages. These are all friendly games as we all learn the rules :)

Excellent to see you support side B's side though, I hear it's the side of reason and speedy ships.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I would simply state them to describe "how do I move this ship?" then "what happens if I go over this or land on this?"

·
Registered
409 Posts
FFG actually adressed this in their FAQ

Q: When a ship executes a maneuver, is the entire width of the ship considered to be moving along the maneuver template and possibly hitting obstacles?

A: No. Only the maneuver template itself and the final position of the ship are considered when determining if a ship hit an obstacle.

(Page 17 of the FAQ)

FAQ can be found here.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Yeah. If you can place the ship at the end of the template without touching anything, and the template itself does not pass over a rock (or off the table) then you complete the move without incident.

If the final position of the ship or the template itself overlaps a rock, you roll the red dice, miss action, and if you're ending up on it, skip shooting.

If the final position or template ever goes over the table edge, you're gone, space cowboy!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Yeah. If you can place the ship at the end of the template without touching anything, and the template itself does not pass over a rock (or off the table) then you complete the move without incident.

If the final position of the ship or the template itself overlaps a rock, you roll the red dice, miss action, and if you're ending up on it, skip shooting.

If the final position or template ever goes over the table edge, you're gone, space cowboy!
This. :goodpost:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FFG actually adressed this in their FAQ
I found that a couple hours after making this thread. Now I know there's a FAQ for this game, which has been very useful already. Thanks for posting it up here :drinks:

I think out of the 5 people in our little group I'm the only one that has done this :blush:

So I have been playing it as side A the whole time I've been playing this game. Not unsupported, three people playing agreed outside of the game to do it that way based on the wording of the rules; we were all wrong, but no one was upset or anything. When two more friends were added to the gaming circle we ran into this hiccup, and just rock-paper-scissored the verdict at the time until we had the chance to delve into the wording and FAQs (and with me, forums). No one was taking it nearly as seriously as Fallen seems to think :laugh:

Big ships would constantly be hitting stuff if that was the case.
You have no idea how much easier it's going to be to dummy my opponents now that I can come in that tight to Obstacles. My Aggressors are pleased with this discovery!!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
On a side note - you can barrel roll and boost yourself off the table. I've run into a couple of people who thought that if you tried it, and found yourself off the edge, you could choose another action, just as though you had tried to complete, but had hit another ship or rock. The table edge is not an obstacle folks!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good addition, Sethis! As another side note, you can get double-fucked by Obstacles:

Q: If a ship is already overlapping an obstacle, does it suffer the effects of the obstacle when it executes its next maneuver?
A: Possibly. When it executes its next maneuver, if the maneuver template or the ship’s final position overlaps the obstacle, the ship suffers the effects of the obstacle. Otherwise, the ship doesn’t suffer any of the obstacle’s effects because its original position is ignored.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
On a side note - you can barrel roll and boost yourself off the table. I've run into a couple of people who thought that if you tried it, and found yourself off the edge, you could choose another action, just as though you had tried to complete, but had hit another ship or rock. The table edge is not an obstacle folks!
At the semi finals of our store championship 2 weeks ago, the guy I was playing against decloaked his full HP Echo off of the table. Up until that point he was clearly winning, but that left two of my damaged ships against a very damaged decimator, which I proceeded to dismantle.

It was hilarious and heartbreaking to watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts