Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys. Recently I have been looking into making moulds and casts of some of my scratch built models. Today I have started to look at how I would go about doing this.

I have found a great tutorial on how to make the mould and casts here. The only problem is that I have no idea what sort of rubber and plastic mixes I need. Because I live in Adelaide the products need to be readily accessible to me so I found this website. The only problem is that it is kind of unclear as to what I should use to make a plastic mould and then the platic to make the cast.

This looks like it could work for the casting aspect but I have no idea as to what I would use to make the mould and what I should use for a release agent. There is also the question of is there anything else I need to do this.

Hopefully some one can give me some useful help on the subject.

EDIT: Okay, this and this look like they could be quite good for my purposes but I don't know which one to choose and I don't even know for sure if this even is what I need.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your response Cromedog. You said that you would recommend Pinkysil and Ultrasil, but which do you prefer?

EDIT: The Easycast says that it sets in about 10-30 minutes but the Pinkysil and Ultrasil don't specify how long they take to set. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The tutorial that I listed said that the plastic will probably harden in a few minutes. Why is it that you use resin instead of whatever plastic a company like Games Workshop would use?

EDIT: How is resin casting expensive? As far as I can see all you need is the RTV silicone and the Easycast resin which makes for a total of about 50$. Am I missing something?

EDIT 2: I understand that the mould will take a while to make, I just don't get why it takes so long to make a cast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.